How would you rate episode 303?

Ran

How would you rate episode 303?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I really liked it, but I may have actually liked last week better ... I dunno, it just felt like they wasted a lot of time on Cersei and Tyrion dragging chairs and the "Pod is a stud-muffin" thing. *sigh*

So many parts were super awesome, though. Like, Dany's parts were pure gold - definitely my favorite part this time around. I also thought that Arya and Gendry saying buy to Hot Pie was super cute.

Totally jarring. This is Game of Thrones, not The Sopranos, the music is not supposed to be modern or hip. It was really stupid of them I thought.

Especially after the dramatic final scene. The music totally didn't fit. If it came at the end of episode 2, I wouldn't have minded it so much. But Jaime losing his hand is a big event and deserves a more tense or melancholy ending theme.

But GoT is beyond mainstream and I guess we have to accept it will be prone to the marketing "geniuses" at HBO who try too way hard to be cool.

I really liked it, but I may have actually liked last week better ... I dunno, it just felt like they wasted a lot of time on Cersei and Tyrion dragging chairs and the "Pod is a stud-muffin" thing. *sigh*

Well, not everything can be rollicking adventure. I thought those were, respectively, a very smart character moment and a nice bit of levity.

Totally jarring. This is Game of Thrones, not The Sopranos, the music is not supposed to be modern or hip. It was really stupid of them I thought.

I thought the music was excellent way to slap you out of the shock that Jamie Lannister just had his sword hand cut off. I thought it was nicely done.

Especially after the dramatic final scene. The music totally didn't fit. If it came at the end of episode 2, I wouldn't have minded it so much. But Jaime losing his hand is a big event and deserves a more tense or melancholy ending theme.

But GoT is beyond mainstream and I guess we have to accept it will be prone to the marketing "geniuses" at HBO who try too way hard to be cool.

It really irritated me for some reason. The music is usually so great, the violins make you want to cry, I can't imagine what they were thinking with that kind of a modern treatment for the song.

I think the more likely explanation for HBO using a punk version of that song for the credits would be a deliberate case of Soundtrack Dissonance, rather than the idea that HBO is so out of touch they're actually making D&D put punk music in their show because "It's what the kids like these days."

Well, not everything can be rollicking adventure. I thought those were, respectively, a very smart character moment and a nice bit of levity.

I didn't dislike the scenes, but they seemed to drag on just a bit too long for me while other, more important scenes, felt a tad rushed? I dunno. I definitely still liked it a lot.

I would give it a 9, mostly loved everything about it, the thing with the Pod scene is that if it happened to any other character BUT him, I probably would've been annoyed but I thought it was hilarious and harmless. The only issue I had with the episode was the punk-style rendition of BATMF, it was really off-putting. Best episode of the season IO.

Gave it a, "4" disappointed. Weakest of the season so far IMO and the worst episode in a while . . one of the worst ones ever. JMO

Why do you feel that way? I've had some episodes that felt meh to me, but I don't think I've ever given an episode lower than a 6! What didn't work for you this episode? Just curious, I love reading other people's opinions :)

10/10. Superb television with plenty of laughs to go along with some genuine tense moments. Maybe D&D need to direct more episodes? Random thoughts:

• The "Meereenese Knot" reference by Tyrion was an awesome nod to book readers! Actually even though that scene was this week's typical silly GoT naked chicks extravaganza, even it was well done thanks to Tyrion's "sales pitch" to Pod.
  • If I were writing the episode, Stan & Mel's conversation would have gone differently, although Mel's deadpan reaction to Stan's goofy "I want you" line was comedy gold. Gold, Jerry! At least now the viewing audience knows that shadowbabies aren't an unlimited-use deus ex machina.
  • I have to say I'm enjoying not knowing what the hell is going on with Theon's arc (apart from the identity of "Boy"). Quite interested to see where this is going. The chase scene was fantastic (and I'm sure cost a fortune in stunt men and horses).
  • The Blackfish is as ideal a casting as could possibly be done - bravo Clive Russell, and of course Nina Gold.
  • Astapor scenes were again hilarious and riveting. Dany's arc is my favorite thus far this season.
  • LOL'd hard at the small council meeting. Some great comic timing! :lol:
  • Even with my skin crawling at knowing what was coming next, I fist-pumped at Jaime saving Brienne with the Sapphire story. And while I like Locke well enough as a Hoat replacement, I did miss "Thapphireth??"
  • I think this episode may have set the record for intelligent, non-sex related backstory exposition. Loved Barry & Jorah talking Rhaegar, especially the inclusion of Jorah's fan favorite line.

So yeah, this was great. And judging by next week's preview it looks like we're due for no less than three explosive, epic scenes in that episode! Should be killer!

I actually thought the music was fitting given that the forced amputation completely shatters Jaime's world. Additionally, many viewers, like many readers before them, will have viewed Jaime's declawing as calling for something more celebratory than melancholy. And really, if ASOIAF has made it to HBO, it's already mainstream depending on how much of a hipster the beholder is.

Edited by Zman1863

• If I were writing the episode, Stan & Mel's conversation would have gone differently, although Mel's deadpan reaction to Stan's goofy "I want you" line was comedy gold. Gold, Jerry! At least now the viewing audience knows that shadowbabies aren't an unlimited-use deus ex machina.

And thank the Seven for that, I like my Deus ex Machinas to be a bit less soul-rendingly horrifying. And preferably accompanied by dragons.

Wait...

I actually thought the music was fitting given that the forced amputation completely shatters Jaime's world. Additionally, many viewers, like many readers before them, will have viewed Jaime's declawing as calling for something more celebratory than melancholy. And really, if ASOIAF has made it to HBO, it's already mainstream depending on how much of a hipster the beholder is.

It shatters his world to the point that he comes out of a medieval setting and is shot into a modern one, including a punk rock song? Ugh. This was HBO trying too hard to be hip and failing. The music for the show is fantastic and fits the setting, story and mood perfectly. Throwing in a punk rock song was just silly.

Not digging the ep as much as the above posters. Really disappointed with some of the changes, especially the pervy way they wrote Stannis. And a couple of filler scenes that seriously made no sense. Wtf was up with that Talisa scene?

Glad they mentioned the Iron Bank.

Need to watch it again to really give it a score, but wasn't that impressed from first glance.

They had to introduce the two Lannister captives.... in case something happens to them *cough* karstark *cough*. That way the tv audience can share Robb's anger and shame.