Ruthless Robb [Major Spoilers]

I had no issue with Robb's involuntary laugh.

Many people find it impossibly hard not to laugh when they feel awkward, and that was a very awkward situation. Everyone was so sombre, so serious, everyone knew the ceremonial procedure, and yet, Hoster Tully was sailing round the river bend.

It WAS funny, and what made it all the more difficult was the fact that he knew perfectly well you shouldn't laugh at funerals surrounded by your grieving relatives He meant no disrespect. He had never met Lord Hoster Tully, so he was not in mourning, and he knew his only job was to act respectfully for his family's benefit.

To his credit, he stifled it, he's just human, and Catelyn was bound to give him dagger eyes as a result. He knew it- he just couldn't quite quell it.

We have all been there.

Without any bannermen prominent enough on the show (Aside from... well, Bolton and Karstark. ;)) to mow down and really make an impact on viewers, I've been wondering if the Blackfish might play that part in some way. I don't remember him doing anything especially important part afterwards, but I could be mistaken. He's a recognizable face now and his death would be quite meaningful. Book-readers would probably be out for blood, though, at a departure that big for such a fan favorite character.

He does some stuff in the background but it probably wouldn't translate well to a TV show anyway. This could actually be really good, especially if he's the one that overturns the table to block the crossbow quarrels like the Greatjon. (I really hope they leave that part in, no matter who does it.)

He does some stuff in the background but it probably wouldn't translate well to a TV show anyway. This could actually be really good, especially if he's the one that overturns the table to block the crossbow quarrels like the Greatjon. (I really hope they leave that part in, no matter who does it.)

That was Smalljon. Greatjon is alive and a hostage. The actor for Greatjon won't be on this season which is SO sad. They never included Smalljon on the show at all nor Dacey which really sucks. And Lady Mormont was only there to laugh at the King in the North scene.

Brynden can't replace the other Northern bannermen for a reason ie what part he plays in AFFC (the convo with Jaime at a certain place)

I love Robb to death and I'm really sad that it seems like this year he's really getting a lot of hate. But I think a lot of is because as Richard Madden said prior to the premier, Robb is burnt out and running on empty right now. I think its really showing in his scenes - he's losing hope and frustrated. Anothert thing I've noticed is that the chemistry he and Talisa used to have is completely gone. I don't know if that's part of the fact he's burnt out too or if maybe buyers' remorse for Robb too. 'Course Talisa's personality changed from S2 to now - she's not fiesty anymore.

The fact that the RW might be taken as anything else than horrible by the viewers is so sad to me. It was the worst thing in the books and I was devastated. But the best bannermen aren't going to be there and so on. The fact Arya is outside the wedding is going to be impactful because you know Maisie will kill those scenes and make everyone weep. I'm really wonder what they're going to do with Talisa being there.

I had no issue with Robb's involuntary laugh.

Many people find it impossibly hard not to laugh when they feel awkward, and that was a very awkward situation. Everyone was so sombre, so serious, everyone knew the ceremonial procedure, and yet, Hoster Tully was sailing round the river bend.

It WAS funny, and what made it all the more difficult was the fact that he knew perfectly well you shouldn't laugh at funerals surrounded by your grieving relatives He meant no disrespect. He had never met Lord Hoster Tully, so he was not in mourning, and he knew his only job was to act respectfully for his family's benefit.

To his credit, he stifled it, he's just human, and Catelyn was bound to give him dagger eyes as a result. He knew it- he just couldn't quite quell it.

We have all been there.

I think the eyes were more for him to be cool. He was angry, he didn't think it was funny.

That was Smalljon. Greatjon is alive and a hostage. The actor for Greatjon won't be on this season which is SO sad. They never included Smalljon on the show at all nor Dacey which really sucks. And Lady Mormont was only there to laugh at the King in the North scene.

Brynden can't replace the other Northern bannermen for a reason ie what part he plays in AFFC (the convo with Jaime at a certain place)

I love Robb to death and I'm really sad that it seems like this year he's really getting a lot of hate. But I think a lot of is because as Richard Madden said prior to the premier, Robb is burnt out and running on empty right now. I think its really showing in his scenes - he's losing hope and frustrated. Anothert thing I've noticed is that the chemistry he and Talisa used to have is completely gone. I don't know if that's part of the fact he's burnt out too or if maybe buyers' remorse for Robb too. 'Course Talisa's personality changed from S2 to now - she's not fiesty anymore.

The fact that the RW might be taken as anything else than horrible by the viewers is so sad to me. It was the worst thing in the books and I was devastated. But the best bannermen aren't going to be there and so on. The fact Arya is outside the wedding is going to be impactful because you know Maisie will kill those scenes and make everyone weep. I'm really wonder what they're going to do with Talisa being there.

The Great John actor just had his ear bitten of in a bar fight.

Richard Madden was Hot in this episode -- handsome, thoughtful and kingly. I enjoyed the hell out of it. We have seen very little of this side of him since Talisa entered the picture.

... Robb is burnt out and running on empty right now. I think its really showing in his scenes - he's losing hope and frustrated.

Agreed. After waging an extraordinarily successful long war that won even arrogant Tywin Lannister's grudging respect, things are falling apart. Young Robb has been outmaneuvered by a master. Of course he is burned out and intolerant of costly mistakes. Edmure clearly knew he disobeyed Robb's orders because there was "plenty of glory to go around." He was naive about potential serious consequences, and Robb is angry. Many kings and lords would have reacted far worse. Fair or not, heads would be rolling, literally and figuratively.

Many/most Unsullied are fiercely loyal to the Stark family and rooting for their eventual triumph. Regardless of Robb's strategic blunder in marrying Talisa rather than a Frey, they will be devastated at the RW. And at Sansa's forced political marriage into the despised enemy Lannister family. The Internet will light up with howling and threats to boycott GoT, just as it was after Ned's beheading. In the meantime, I hope he has several more strong scenes so his fans can enjoy the little time we have left with King Robb and Catelyn.

Honeslty, I find Robb's actor so much better than Jon's. He nails most of the scenes he's in. I sometimes wish their actors had been switched because after S3, it's bye-bye Robb.

Don't get me wrong, Kit is fine. But if only he could avoid having that ''duh?'' look in half his scenes...

TV Robb almost makes me a Frey sympathizer. He expects others to keep their vows and obey, but he doesn't keep his own. He is older than book Robb and should be wiser, but acts more foolish. He seems to have zero regard for how his actions negatively impact his situation, where younger book Robb at least realized what a problem it created. Basicly he decided to marry who ever he wanted on a whim becaue he felt like it, and everyone else be damned. Even though he had the council of his mother against it before hand, he knew his bannermen didn't like Talisa, he had no social obligations to marry her, and didn't have the emotional toll of his brother's deaths setting up the situation.

Book Robb's decision may have ultimately been equally foolish, but it was a very "Ned" like decision. Doing something to protect someone he loved in Jeyne regardless of the consequences to himself, much like Ned "confessing" to treason before being beheaded. Conversely marrying Talisa because he feels like it against the council of everyone else comes across as a very selfish decision.

+1

They dropped the ball when they changed Robb's love interest from a girl whose honour he unwittingly compromised in a moment of grief to a girl he fell in love with, causing him to blatantly disregard his promise to the Freys. It does change the dynamic of the RW. D&D played themselves with this change; what was the reason for not sticking with the original Jeyne Westerling story?

I think Richard plays the character rather well, but there is only so much he can do.

They dropped the ball when they changed Robb's love interest from a girl whose honour he unwittingly compromised in a moment of grief to a girl he fell in love with, causing him to blatantly disregard his promise to the Freys. It does change the dynamic of the RW. D&D played themselves with this change; what was the reason for not sticking with the original Jeyne Westerling story?

I think Richard plays the character rather well, but there is only so much he can do.

I think the reason why they had to change the original story of Robb's marriage is that he is being played by an actor who is at least 10 years older than the age Robb is in the books. The huge political blunder that was Robb's marriage came about mostly as a result of Robb's youth. I think it's strongly implied that the Westerlings arranged for Jeyne to be dangled in front of Robb. This scenario is highly believable when the character is 16, but it would seem that a man in his late 20s would be much less easily manipulated.

Because of this I don't object to the creation of a modified story arc for Robb's marriage. However, it's execution left much to be desired. Still, I think that they can still get to essentially the same place with what they have before them. I think it's sort of comparable to the Dany stuff from last season. The stolen dragons storyline wasn't a great adaptation of Dany's ACOK story, but it has not as of yet had any ill effects on this season and I don't expect it to in the future episodes.

Some aspects of the TV adaptation have been failures, but the essential character stories remain strong. Robb's scenes have stayed true to the tone of the Catelyn chapters and I think they are on track to capturing the essence of Robb's conclusion. The only thing I'm slightly nervous about is them suddenly deciding to stick to Jeyne's story in the books and having Talisa survive. But I can't really see them passing up a golden opportunity to tie up a sloppy loose end.

• 1 month later...

when reading I didn't care too much for Robb, we didn't get his view point so I wasn't too emotionally invested in him. that was up until just before he died, I was very impressed by how he was handling situations like the Karstarks, people might think it was a bad choice but I liked it... and how he had the other guy watch.. hehe gave he sick-joys.. so yeah just when I started to really like him BAM the Redwedding happened and I was like "awwwwww..." but with the TV adaption viewers were able to connect with Robb right away and the whole time through, so it will be interesting to see some of my nonreading-friends reactions to the event.

• 2 months later...

Archived