Breaking Bad/Final Season

Reposado

The reason people seem to have a problem with Skyler is because she doesn't act in the traditional way TV wives do. While lesser shows may have just kept her a cardboard character, passively going along with everything her husband does without thinking for herself and having her own clearly defined agenda, BB has made her far more active, and a direct antagonist to her husband. While this may tick viewers off, her actions have always been realistic, and would not be out of place in the real world.

Pardon the shameless thread-whoring, but I started this thread a while ago where I tried to understand why Skyler receives so much hate from fans: http://asoiaf.wester...he-skyler-hate/

You're not alone - Walt is a fascinating character and all, but I can't say that I'm "rooting" for him any longer either. It's kind of refreshing to see at least a few people who don't white out with rage at Skyler for vague reasons and then turn around and idolize Walt. (Even if it's just a few, hehe.)

Outside of Game of Thrones this is definitely my most-anticipated TV show. And to think, it'll be the last season. :crying:

I'm pretty sure no one idolizes Walt at this point.

Well, no, but he let's his goons gun them down in the street. You think he didn't know how that would go down? He probably didn't explicity give the order, but I am sure he knew how gangs conducted exit interviews.

True...

And, he did threaten to kill Walt's family, I don't think that was an idle threat.

No. And, really, he should've just killed Walt in the desert right there.

I just find it bizarre that people would hate her for cheating on Walt when compared to everything Walt has done, it barely registers really. *shrugs*

The only thing I can say is that just because another character does bad things, doesn't mean you can't hate another character for their actions. At the most basest level, I'd say people hate Skylar and root for Walt because the show makes you do that. Even when Walt uses immoral actions, you can't help but feel for him. He has cancer, he was cheated out of millions, his wife cheats on him for (as far as she knows) no reason (and in his mind, and therefore ours, she cheats on him because hes out earning money to keep his family happy and safe). Yes Walt poisoned a child, but he also saved Jesse's life, he gave Jesse the millions he deserved, he provided for his family in their most dire time of need. Skylar... Cheated on her husband because he was a distant physically. What did she do other than that? Protect the kids? Not in the mind of Walt or the viewer; the kids were never in danger. Even when the Twins wanted to kill Walt, they showed no interest in his family. The show deliberately portrays Skylar as an overreacting cheating wife. Yes, what she does is understandable, and yes, Walt has done worse. But What good has Skylar actually done in the show to win over viewers? Nothing. She exists, in the eyes of the viewers, as a home foil for Walt and his drug antics.

Quite simply, people hate Skylar because we're supposed to. Yes, we are supposed to question Walt because of his immoral actions, but that doesn't absolve the 100% bitchy, pathetic, and illogical actions of Skylar.

I want to see them 'Hamlet' it and kill off most of the characters. I have a feeling Walt will win the day, beat all enemies but lose his family in the process, rule the underground by die alone as the cancer takes him.

So you're saying everyone dies at the end of Hamlet?!?! Gah. Spoilers!

:D

Admittedly, I know little of how members of the Mexican cartel leadership choose to drink the finest tequila... but it was still a great scene.

sure. but gus probably should. at least if that's what he's going to base his plan around. yeah, it was a good scene, very well done, really, really tense.

just the least thought out of all the plans on this show

August?! :bang:

I watched every episode last summer, and am now rewatching it with my boyfriend, who I introduced to it a couple of months ago. So I'm pretty much set in terms of knowing where everyone is when the next episodes finally hit the screen. Anyone have any idea why they took such a long break?

I want to see them 'Hamlet' it and kill off most of the characters. I have a feeling Walt will win the day, beat all enemies but lose his family in the process, rule the underground by die alone as the cancer takes him.

I actually do think this will happen (and, really, is already happening), though I don't think it will be the ending proper, only because I find it hard to reconcile with the flash-forward from the beginning of season five. He's coming "back" (or out of hiding, I don't know that he'll ever actually leave Albuquerque) for a reason, and that reason somehow requires an enormous machine gun. He also seems to be kind of a broken man in that scene, so I feel he may have already lost everything by then. I personally believe the show will end with him dead, Skyler in prison, and the kids under the care of Hank and Marie. I also don't think Walt necessarily has to die of cancer for the whole karmic aspect to work -- it just has to come back (and be terminal with no chance of another recession), which it already has.

EDIT: What do you know, the first photo was just released.

• 2 months later...

In an effort to revive this thread, anyone happen to catch the latest Dexter episode? A certain teddy bear moment at the end of it immediately had me thinking of the one in BB.

Man I miss this show. I need to see some kind of promo for the next season that doesn't have old footage! Only 5 weeks to go though...

Edit: also, apparently the Saul Goodman spinoff is developing 'full steam ahead'

There are a few billboards around the LA area. I'm getting excited. Huge expectations and very little idea of what to expect other than that I do not expect a happy ending at all.

There are a few billboards around the LA area. I'm getting excited. Huge expectations and very little idea of what to expect other than that I do not expect a happy ending at all.

Nor do I. What I'm hoping for -- and what I think they'll achieve -- is a satisfying ending. Something like, say, The Departed or No Country for Old Men, or even The Godfather Part 2, where the ending is far from anything you'd call happy, but where it manages to create a certain catharsis that feels complete and succinct. I definitely think they can pull it off, and I can't wait to see what they do.

Nor do I. What I'm hoping for -- and what I think they'll achieve -- is a satisfying ending. Something like, say, The Departed or No Country for Old Men, or even The Godfather Part 2, where the ending is far from anything you'd call happy, but where it manages to create a certain catharsis that feels complete and succinct. I definitely think they can pull it off, and I can't wait to see what they do.

That is exactly what I suspect that they are going for. Not happy at all, but satisfying and cathartic and with closure.

I suppose I could envision a happy ending for Pinkman but not for our poet Walt Whitman.

Oh my God, The Departed is probably the greatest ending of all time. If they achieved something on that level it would so great.

To satisfy my cravings for the new season I've basically started to re-watch the entire series. I'm about halfway through season 2.

Oh my God, The Departed is probably the greatest ending of all time. If they achieved something on that level it would so great.

To satisfy my cravings for the new season I've basically started to re-watch the entire series. I'm about halfway through season 2.

My roommate and I have done a sporadic re-watch as well. Just did Half Measures -> Full Measures -> Box Cutter.

One of the things that I appreciate about this show is the minimalism.

Don't get me wrong. I love the sprawling stuff with so many threads and characters like The Wire and Game of Thrones. But Breaking Bad is tighter, and that can be refreshing.

You know, if the ending of Crawl Space was the series' ending, except we hear sirens in the background with the police coming to arrest Walt, I would be perfectly content with it. It really was THAT good of an ending.

Dunno how I'd feel about Jesse having a happy ending. The show has demonstrated time and time again that no one gets out of the business unharmed, and it would be a bit lame if Jesse is somehow the exception. If Gale couldn't have a happy ending, Jesse shouldn't either.

You know if the ending of Crawl Space was the series' ending, except we hear sirens in the background with the police coming to arrest Walt, I would be perfectly content with it. It really was THAT good of an ending.

Dunno how I'd feel about Jesse having a happy ending. The show has demonstrated time and time again that no one gets out of the business unharmed, and it would be a bit lame if Jesse is somehow the exception. If Gale couldn't have a happy ending, Jesse shouldn't either.

I think they're gonna kill Jesse. If it's not Walt that does it I think it'll be very clear that it was due to Walt's actions.

Archived