Football XL - Thread of the NEW - SUN

baxus

I just don't see it. I've watched Kompany and Nastasic every game this season and I don't see that Hummels is in the same category.

I am aware that I'm biased, by the way...

Last season Kompany was a beast but this season he's not been as good really. Nastasic has been superb and should have been nominated for YPOTY imo. Either way, I think Hummels is in the top 5 CBs in the world personally, absolute quality defender and he was class yesterday.

He has, of course, been injured an awful lot this season. Lets not forget that.

It is a travesty that Nastasic didn't win YPOTY or even get nominated.

He has, of course, been injured an awful lot this season. Lets not forget that.

It is a travesty that Nastasic didn't win YPOTY or even get nominated.

Think Bale should have won YPOTY but not the actual POTY, should have gone to RVP or Suarez but Bale's british so was always gonna be the way.

YPOTY should be 21 and under really. Would tie in very nicely with the new U21 league thing.

I wouldn't say he was always going to win because he's British. He's had an incredible season.

Benteke = YPOTY, for me. Just his sheer impact on Villa has been amazing. Probably would have had RVP or Mata as my POTY. Mata is slightly biased - but he's been consistently really fucking good. RVP and Bale have been far more patchy.

And, Hummels was great last night. He played really fucking well. He was poor in the first leg, and played poor against Shakhtar admittedly but I don't think he's a bad defender at all. He can bit a bit slow, and makes some errors but overall he's a nice tidy defender. Don't think he'll go to City, anyway?

RvP has been patchy. People suggesting that Bale has been patchy seem to be under the impression that just because he's playing better now, he wasn't already really fucking good before. He was already on Mata/Suarez rivaling form before he kicked it a level, and no-one in the world has been as good as him since the turn of the year. I don't think it's really arguable that his win is wrong, though I'll never understand why they don't do end of season awards at the end of the season.

And, Hummels was great last night. He played really fucking well. He was poor in the first leg, and played poor against Shakhtar admittedly but I don't think he's a bad defender at all. He can bit a bit slow, and makes some errors but overall he's a nice tidy defender. Don't think he'll go to City, anyway?

Hummels to Barca is basically a done deal isn't it?

RvP has been patchy. People suggesting that Bale has been patchy seem to be under the impression that just because he's playing better now, he wasn't already really fucking good before. He was already on Mata/Suarez rivaling form before he kicked it a level, and no-one in the world has been as good as him since the turn of the year. I don't think it's really arguable that his win is wrong, though I'll never understand why they don't do end of season awards at the end of the season.

RVP has not been patchy, he's had a period where he scored less goals but he still assisted quite a few during that time. And no, Bale did not deserve to win POTY, should definitely have been either Suarez or RVP. And for YPOTY I completely forgot about Benteke, would have liked him to win it really.

Benteke's been involved in like 52ish% of Villas goals/assists. Which shows what he's done. I think RVP's was like 44-46 according to SSN, which is very high for a team with such top quality players. (You can understand more that Villa would be reliant on their star striker)

RVP has not been patchy, he's had a period where he scored less goals but he still assisted quite a few during that time.

On the whole, whether he's been scoring or not, RvP hasn't been nearly as good as last season for Arsenal. Just a lot less creative and involved further down the pitch.

During the ten games between scoring against Everton and scoring against Stoke, he got precisely one assist, so you're wrong there, but though stats aren't everything he mostly looked increasingly unconfident and uninvolved until he got that one v Stoke, so I've gotta disagree. The first leg against Madrid apart, although he missed a few chances he was excellent in that game otherwise.

Suarez is just too one-track-minded. Much better when Sturridge is about, but for all the goals he scores he still wastes an extraordinary amount of chances by shooting when he might pass. He deserved to be in the running, all told, but I don't think he's been better than Mata or Fellaini or someone (I still don't understand why Fellaini didn't even get nominated).

RVP has not been patchy, he's had a period where he scored less goals but he still assisted quite a few during that time. And no, Bale did not deserve to win POTY, should definitely have been either Suarez or RVP. And for YPOTY I completely forgot about Benteke, would have liked him to win it really.

Mate, I understand you're a United fan, but RVP had a 10 game long goal drought recently. That's not a period where he's scored 'less goals', that's a period where he scored no goals. Even then he only broke it with a penalty. It's not a criticism, but scoring 11 in your first 14 games and then 0 in 10 is patchy. He's had a heavy season, it's to be expected. He's done incredibly well in his first season and no doubt he will continue terrifying the living shit out of defences next year.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Bale. He's been phenomenal in my eyes. Utterly unpredictable (unpredictaBale? Sorry.) and devastating more often than not. Suarez has been the same and probably would have won it if Bale hadn't had the season he's had. RVP hit the wall and the aforementioned goal drought at precisely the wrong time to win the POTY unfortunately for him.

Edit: polishgenius beat me to it!

We talked about that a little earlier. I dislike the NY2 idea on principle, but it would probably be good for the league, and in my opinion, possibly bad for NYRB.

wasn't nastasic among 10 candidates for YPOTY?

at least our media reported he was...

he had a great season, especially when you consider it was his rookie season, he was 19 when he signed for city and he had to battle for a spot with lescott and toure who are a lot more experienced. he had his share of luck that kompany was out for a good part of the season so his chances improved then. he took his chances, played great, especially for a youngster but he was never going to win YPOTY, not because he's not brittish but because he is a defender, and as such a lot less attractive player than bale.

I wonder what kind of players he would bring to this team? City castoffs?

Yeah, maybe. I'd be hoping more for promising youngsters who need game time, not guys who couldn't make the cut later in their career. They'd certainly fill all three DP slots constantly. Grant Wahl had an interesting idea that the league should add an optional 4th DP slot for American born players. To help keep the better ones from going to Europe and hurting the league's marketability.

My bad y'all. Just saw that this morning. Still, should be interesting. I wonder what kind of players he would bring to this team? City castoffs?

Yeah, maybe. I'd be hoping more for promising youngsters who need game time, not guys who couldn't make the cut later in their career. They'd certainly fill all three DP slots constantly. Grant Wahl had an interesting idea that the league should add an optional 4th DP slot for American born players. To help keep the better ones from going to Europe and hurting the league's marketability.

I can't imagine that would happen to be honest. The Sheikh doesn't really do things by halves...which I suppose is to be expected of someone who owns 9% of the world's oil reserves. The heavy focus on youth which is being brought into City would probably be replicated in America, especially when you bear in mind the soccer schools that we're running everywhere.

The Etihad Campus I mentioned before is ridiculous. It's essentially going to be a massive football university with fully functioning schools, accommodation for every scholar etc. It would be interesting to see if a loan system were set up from Manchester to New York and vice versa. Seems like it would be mutually beneficial.

It would be pretty cool seeing something like that built in New York.

Archived