Football XL - Thread of the NEW - SUN

baxus

On the whole, whether he's been scoring or not, RvP hasn't been nearly as good as last season for Arsenal. Just a lot less creative and involved further down the pitch.

During the ten games between scoring against Everton and scoring against Stoke, he got precisely one assist, so you're wrong there, but though stats aren't everything he mostly looked increasingly unconfident and uninvolved until he got that one v Stoke, so I've gotta disagree. The first leg against Madrid apart, although he missed a few chances he was excellent in that game otherwise.

Suarez is just too one-track-minded. Much better when Sturridge is about, but for all the goals he scores he still wastes an extraordinary amount of chances by shooting when he might pass. He deserved to be in the running, all told, but I don't think he's been better than Mata or Fellaini or someone (I still don't understand why Fellaini didn't even get nominated).

He hasn't been nearly as good? Like it's been posted, he's scored over 40% of goals scored by the league winners, which is a huge amount for a top club. Not to mention he's got quite a few assists (ranging from 8 to 13 depending on which source you use), and his all around play has been great.

Mate, I understand you're a United fan, but RVP had a 10 game long goal drought recently. That's not a period where he's scored 'less goals', that's a period where he scored no goals. Even then he only broke it with a penalty. It's not a criticism, but scoring 11 in your first 14 games and then 0 in 10 is patchy. He's had a heavy season, it's to be expected. He's done incredibly well in his first season and no doubt he will continue terrifying the living shit out of defences next year.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Bale. He's been phenomenal in my eyes. Utterly unpredictable (unpredictaBale? Sorry.) and devastating more often than not. Suarez has been the same and probably would have won it if Bale hadn't had the season he's had. RVP hit the wall and the aforementioned goal drought at precisely the wrong time to win the POTY unfortunately for him.

Edit: polishgenius beat me to it!

10 game goal drought, I agree completely, but he wasn't shit during that time. He was still very good, just he wasn't scoring goals only assisting them.

I like Bale, I'm not a fan of the person but I admire the footballer. I think he's got everything within reach in terms of his future. And again, I think he should have won YPOTY just not the actual POTY because RVP on the whole was better, backed up by better stats. Overall though, whilst I absolutely adore the guy, I think people stopped taking the POTY awards seriously after Giggs won it.

It would be interesting to see if a loan system were set up from Manchester to New York and vice versa. Seems like it would be mutually beneficial.

I don't know, is the MLS really at a standard that it would be beneficial for City to be loaning players to this team rather than to other European teams?

I expect they'll just probably run it as another MLS side although perhaps one with a bit more financial muscle.

he's scored over 40% of goals scored by the league winners, which is a huge amount for a top club.

No he hasn't. He's scored a little under a third. I believe the stat was 'scored or assisted', which does make it a fair proportion, but, ya know, you can't just take that in isolation and go 'yeah, it's all coz he's great'.

and his all around play has been great.

It really hasn't. It's been decent, and his assist stat is nice, but compared to Arsenal where he was driving them creatively as well as getting the goals it's been much lesser. Of course he doesn't have to do that to get the goals for us, but it would be nice if he did. Especially since we've almost certainly scored less goals this season than last, and he's got three games to score three goals to get more than Rooney did last year - and is also almost certainly not going to top his total from before either.

Last season he was stunning. This season he's been really good at his best and okay in places.

RVP on the whole was better, backed up by better stats.

Dude, RvP is a striker, and plays for a better team. Of course his stats are going to be better. Particularly the assists one, coz Spurs have Gareth Bale, occasionally Jermaine Defoe, and a squadful of crap finishers, whereas everyone in our team might get a goal.

I like Bale, I'm not a fan of the person but I admire the footballer. I think he's got everything within reach in terms of his future. And again, I think he should have won YPOTY just not the actual POTY because RVP on the whole was better, backed up by better stats. Overall though, whilst I absolutely adore the guy, I think people stopped taking the POTY awards seriously after Giggs won it.

Yeah, he's a bafflign choice. It was basically fan service for his career - which is what it shouldn't be about. There are probably other times he could have won it but etc.

Still PAUL MCGRATH won it, so it recognises greatness at least.

(I still don't understand why Fellaini didn't even get nominated).

Didn't he somewhat fizzle out by the end of the year? It's understandable late season form is more in players mind when voting, really.

Edit: RVP has certainly scored a lot of vital goals for United. I mean, I don't really think bale's early season form was as good as Michu/Fellaini/Mata/RVP but I don't really think he "shouldn't" have won. He's been absolutely scintilating lately and has been "good" all season, I understand why he won in that respect.

Team of the year was fine apart from hazard. I'd not have had De Gea in goal, either. Mignolet has been really fucking good anytime I've seen him.

Didn't he somewhat fizzle out by the end of the year? It's understandable late season form is more in players mind when voting, really.

He less fizzled out than got moved further back into midfield to cover for injuries and allow Jelavic and Ameobi to play at the same time, but yes, he has done less destruction of defences than he was doing before Christmas. As far as I've seen them he's still been pretty immense in that deeper role, though, and has definitely been the main man in a top-four bid that, while now unlikely, should really have ended long ago and hasn't.

The fact that his best form was at the start is almost certainly the reason though.

Re: NY2 and City, remember that MLS has pretty strict salary rules. They could definitely field a competitive squad; they couldn't fuel an unstoppable hyperpowered roster of City players.

Re: NY2 and City, remember that MLS has pretty strict salary rules. They could definitely field a competitive squad; they couldn't fuel an unstoppable hyperpowered roster of City players.

Well, if City paid for most of their wages, they'd be cool.

Another thing to remember about MLS--they actively discourage foreign loans for the (rather good, if you ask me) reason of wanting to develop young players from North America. Although I cherish the childhood memory of watching a teenaged Peter Beardsley tear down the wings at Empire Stadium, I tend to agree that the league needs protection from the potential dominance of more talented and well-developed players from abroad. For football to become a viable sport in North America, domestic development needs to be given as much incentive to flourish as is possible.

Re: Fellaini - we sort of need him to be turned on when he plays. If he's on the pitch, and is playing at a low standard, we're shit. However, that goes for most of our front six. Overall, we're a team where the sum is greater than the sum of the parts, but we do need every part to do their job. Also, he's been forced deeper not by any desire to play Jelavic and Anichebe together, but by the absence of Gibson/Osman, who have been playing deep the best part of the season. If one of them are missing, Felli goes deep.

However, we haven't done badly with him out of the team - on his largest suspension (three games over Christmas, the two after City) we've won three, drawn one and lost at home to Chelsea (which was unlucky).

Well, if City paid for most of their wages, they'd be cool.

You're proposing that, say, a player make £20 million, but that MLS sides pay only, say, $200,000 of that, and skirt the rules by having the official City UK organization pay the rest? No way the league would allow that, no chance at all.

Archived