Football XL - Thread of the NEW - SUN

baxus

just to start the new thread on football.

you guys know the drill, carry on with news/discussions/etc

EDIT:

feel free to suggest a better thread title, and we'll change it somehow :)

What's the problem with Saprissa? It may not be the national stadium, but it's still in San José, and is still a major stadium (for CRC). Given the artificial turf, it might even be better to play on than the NS.

The atmosphere in Saprissa is much stronger because the fans are very close to the pitch. It's almost like an old English ground in style. The national stadium has a running track around it, and is a very new facility. Saprissa is rather old and dilapidated. Also, the turf isn't very good: http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/67/world-cup/2009/06/02/1301795/us-team-looks-to-mitigate-costa-rican-turf-troubles Most of our guys would rather play on the real grass at the national stadium any day.

Did anybody hear about the International Champions Cup being held in the US this summer. I for one am excited as some of teh second round matches will come to New York. 4 of 8 teams confirmed so far, Real Madrid, Juventus, FC Inter and LA Galaxy. ( I hope Inter win the Coppa Italia this year otherwise it'd be silly to have a non champion in a Champions Cup) It does seem to be just the usual US tour the European teams do periodiclaly thrown into a cup format. It should still be interesting.

I remember about 10 years ago they did it with Man U, Juve and Milan, both Milan and Juve were Seriea/Coppa Italia Champions so they also did the Italian Super Cup in New York as both teams were already touring here. That would be cool if they could repeat the feat with Inter and Juve, though back in 2003 the Supercoppa served as a Champions League final rematch as well. Juve got their revenge in the end. Milan scored first through Pirlo and Trezeguet tied it up in the 90th and Juve went on to win on penalties. I had awesome seats too, way better than the Man U 4-1 beating of Juve that I witnessed the week before.

ETA: http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2013/04/17/3909876/real-madrid-juventus-inter-and-la-galaxy-to-take-part-in?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_7

More info on the torunament.

So pretty much every day I am educating myself a little more about European football. Mostly through reading on Wikipedia, but also through other sources as well. I find it very interesting.

One general question though - do most European football fans understand all the ins and outs of qualification for the Champions and Europa leagues? It seems extremely complicated - especially for an American sports fan, where qualification to the postseason is a fairly straightforward thing.

So pretty much every day I am educating myself a little more about European football. Mostly through reading on Wikipedia, but also through other sources as well. I find it very interesting.

One general question though - do most European football fans understand all the ins and outs of qualification for the Champions and Europa leagues? It seems extremely complicated - especially for an American sports fan, where qualification to the postseason is a fairly straightforward thing.

For the most part, it just boils down to being in the top X in your league at the end of the year. The co-efficient stuff means that the value of X can change from year to year, but it only needs to be calculated once - after that, it's just a dotted line on the league table. The interesting edge cases that can change things are when you get a previous years' winner not qualifying directly for the CL the following year (as happened last season in England when Chelsea finished outside the top 4).

ST

It's pretty straightforward to me. What part do you not understand?

For the most part, it just boils down to being in the top X in your league at the end of the year.

But then there's the part where some automatically qualify for the group stages, and other teams have to play 1, 2 or 3 qualifying rounds beforehand (again, all dependent on the relative strength of your country's league compared to the rest of the UEFA nations).

But then there's the part where some automatically qualify for the group stages, and other teams have to play 1, 2 or 3 qualifying rounds beforehand (again, all dependent on the relative strength of your country's league compared to the rest of the UEFA nations).

But that again is something that you know going into the season, it's not something that is going to change (with the one obvious exception Sir Thursday mentioned).

The atmosphere in Saprissa is much stronger because the fans are very close to the pitch. It's almost like an old English ground in style. The national stadium has a running track around it, and is a very new facility. Saprissa is rather old and dilapidated. Also, the turf isn't very good: http://www.goal.com/...n-turf-troubles Most of our guys would rather play on the real grass at the national stadium any day.

Ah, you prefer matches to be played at lousy, clinical stadiums?

It's pretty straightforward to me. What part do you not understand?

All the different qualifying rounds and group stages just seems to be crazy complicated.

And do some teams that qualify for the Champions league, but don't make it out of the qualifying stages for that also get to play in the Europa League? Because that seemed to be the case when I was looking at the various results from earlier this year.

I'm sure it's not that weird of a system if it's what you grew up being used to. It just seems that way to me, as an outsider just figuring out that game.

I'm sure it's not that weird of a system if it's what you grew up being used to. It just seems that way to me, as an outsider just figuring out that game.

Actually the system changes every time UEFA comes up with a new way to make even more money for itself and the biggest European clubs.;)

There are three qualifying rounds and one play-off round all consisting of two-legged knock-out ties in both the CL and Europa League before the group stages. Which round a team enters the tournament at depends on their league's UEFA coefficient (which is determined by all the league's teams performances in European competition during the past five seasons). The highest placed teams from he highest ranked leagues get to skip the qualifying and play-offs and go straight into the group stages.

The losers of the third CL qualifying round and the CL play-off round get to play in the Europa League play-off round and group stage respectively. The third placed teams from the CL group stage get to play in the Europa League knock-out round (after the group stage).

Archived