Football XL - Thread of the NEW - SUN

baxus

In other news, if ever the glamour of England's lower leagues could be summed up in one story, this is it:

I remember that around 2000, with both Bayern and Leverkusen still being able to win the title on the last day, something similar was suggested for the Bundesliga, as Bayern were playing at home and Leverkusen were away at Unterhaching. It's only about 20km from the Olympic Park in Munich to Unterhaching's stadium, so it wouldn't have been totally ridiculous to do this.

Of course one of the teams involved was called Leverkusen, so presumably nobody bothered.

I just like the idea that someone called Dennis will be sat in his Ford Mondeo at Tamworth Service Station eating coronation chicken sandwiches out of plastic boxes and drinking tea out of paper cups all day, with the trophy safely seatbelted onto the front seat.

it sounds like a lost episode of Alan Partridge.

Can you tell I'm bored at work this afternoon?

This is my new favourite thing. The most Sunday League goal ever. The polar opposite of a Golazo, it brings back cold, rainy, memories of my youth.

This might be the most Sunday league goal ever.

It has the classic shouts of “out, get it out” along with the despondency of another man muttering “Christ” as he wonders what the hell he is doing with his Sunday morning.

Edit: Even the title of the video - "Nathan Scores!" - is perfect.

I cannot stop watching it.

By the by, even by the exemplary standards of the football threads, I have posted up some strong links today.

In other news, if ever the glamour of England's lower leagues could be summed up in one story, this is it:

I'm actually going to be following those games - I'm a Stockport fan, and if we fail to beat Kidderminster we get relegated*. Quite a come down - 15 years ago we were better than Manchester City.

*We'll probably still get relegated even if we win

that was f'ing amazing, some of the blind football in the paralympics was better than that.

awesome. truly inspiring of awe. how did no defender just put their foot through it to clear it? did the keeper not know he was allowed to pick up the ball? as a long time defender i am saddened to see such a display. in my 20's i would drink all night and then play far better than that.

Three games to go to see if Dougie Freedman's Super White Army can seal a playoff spot, starting today with Boro at the Reebok. I don't expect us to get up but it's been a very promising, and totally unheralded turnaround.

Welbeck is a terrible striker.

He is, however, a damn good playmaker. If only players who start as strikers weren't so mentally locked in (both by themselves and the media/public) into that position and the notion that THEY MUST SCORE GOALS because I'd be massively in favour of just trying him properly, with no beating around the bush, in an AM or midfield position (moreso than Rooney, at this point). The amount by which our whole team's passing gets better when Welbeck is on the pitch is sometimes just bizarre.

Nice to see John Terry is continuing his principled stand against people who had the temerity to think that him racially abusing a black player was out of order. Just a shame he seems to be so stupid he's forgotten who actually testified against him.

The arrogance is astonishing.

Nice to see John Terry is continuing his principled stand against people who had the temerity to think that him racially abusing a black player was out of order. Just a shame he seems to be so stupid he's forgotten who actually testified against him.

The arrogance is astonishing.

Oh for goodness sake. What an absolute weapon that man is.

So apparently Uli Hoeneß has the slight problem of being investigated for tax dodging. Supposedly he has some undeclared money in a Swiss bank account. How much money? Oh, just several hundred million Euros.

My first question here would actually be how the hell he managed to make that much money. Or maybe it's not really a private account but is used for some of Bayern's money?

This also makes him calling out FIFA for corruption seem a mite hypocritical.

Three games to go to see if Dougie Freedman's Super White Army can seal a playoff spot, starting today with Boro at the Reebok. I don't expect us to get up but it's been a very promising, and totally unheralded turnaround.

Being the form team going into the playoffs is historically a massive massive edge. If you finish 6th and beat Watford I would certainly have you as favourites to beat Palace or Brighton, though beating Watford will be difficult.

Unfortunately Stoke may have done enough today to reverse their slide and escape relegation. I'm refusing to give up the dream just yet. I think Newcastle and Villa are in better form than Stoke and can finish above them, but can Wigan find the energy and goals for another late surge? Their FA cup run might doom them to relegation.

Archived