Football XL - Thread of the NEW - SUN

baxus

They'll probably lose Lewandowski as well but they'll replace him I'm sure. They'll have huge money from getting to the final of the CL (and perhaps winning it) as well as 37m (or 39m, I forget) for Gotze and whatever they'll eventually get for Lewandowski, more than enough for them to be replaced.

I think Lewandowski will be harder to replace. Not coz he's better - he isn't - but because he's more unique in both their system (other players can cover some of what Goetze does) and in the world - it's feasible to link them to players like Isco, Eriksen and Dzagoev, there aren't nearly that many strikers of Lewandowski's stature, let alone those that play like him.

Maybe they should get Benteke.

Also, there's dozens of young players (born in the early and mid 90's) called Romário or Romarinho, in tribute to Romário of course. So far, no one is playing in the same team, but that's gotta happen eventually.

I just found it a shame that Fulham sold established Belgian midfielder Moussa Dembele mere weeks after buying young French striker Moussa Dembele, denying Martin Jol the chance to play both at the same time. Though they'll always have the time they replaced John Collins with Collins John.

I think Lewandowski will be harder to replace. Not coz he's better - he isn't - but because he's more unique in both their system (other players can cover some of what Goetze does) and in the world - it's feasible to link them to players like Isco, Eriksen and Dzagoev, there aren't nearly that many strikers of Lewandowski's stature, let alone those that play like him.

Maybe they should get Benteke.

Yeah I had the fleeting thought that Benteke would be perfect for them, but really I think their system would suit a lot of strikers. Look at Barrios, he managed to score over 20 goals twice and he wasn't great really. Their system just creates so many chances for strikers that they're bound to get loads, even if I do think Lewandowski's a top striker (that 3rd goal against RM was absolute class). I think the bigger loss for Dortmund would be if they came to lose Hummels, but I don't think he'll leave.

I just found it a shame that Fulham sold established Belgian midfielder Moussa Dembele mere weeks after buying young French striker Moussa Dembele, denying Martin Jol the chance to play both at the same time. Though they'll always have the time they replaced John Collins with Collins John.

In a similar vein, Hamilton Accies played for nearly two years with a midfield of James McCarthy and James McArthur.

Yeah I had the fleeting thought that Benteke would be perfect for them, but really I think their system would suit a lot of strikers. Look at Barrios, he managed to score over 20 goals twice and he wasn't great really. Their system just creates so many chances for strikers that they're bound to get loads, even if I do think Lewandowski's a top striker (that 3rd goal against RM was absolute class).

I think any striker will score for them, but what Lewandowski does is hold the ball up and link up the play very well - it's why he replaced Barrios in the first place. Demba Ba would have been perfect for them really but he's obviously off the table, same goes for Lukaku. Benteke's not quite the team player they are but he's pretty good and his pace and strength on the break could be deadly.

Horus, are we getting that writeup of the collapse of the old NASL?

Oh yeah. Lemme go look up some of my posts from Big Soccer bc I've done this before more or less. Lots of context I'd want to bring up on the history of American soccer, the growth of the sport in this country and where we were and how far we've come with the growth of the sport overall and the role that the NASL played in that. It ties into why I want the Cosmos name in MLS. It has alot to do with wanting to dispel the prevailing, and largely uninformed, wisdom. I'll do that today sometime. It's a very long and involved explanation.

I think any striker will score for them, but what Lewandowski does is hold the ball up and link up the play very well - it's why he replaced Barrios in the first place. Demba Ba would have been perfect for them really but he's obviously off the table, same goes for Lukaku. Benteke's not quite the team player they are but he's pretty good and his pace and strength on the break could be deadly.

What are the chances of Dzeko going there?

it's rumoured, isn't it. I don't think he'd be a bad replacement at all. I tend to think he's a bit patchy - but that's because of the way City work. He can certainly score goals, though.

Noises I'm hearing is that we've agreed personal terms with Cavani for £140,000 a week (i.e. that's Wayne Bridge + half of Santa Cruz's wages) and are settling of a fee with Napoli involving a Dzeko swap deal.

i believe that in the business, that is considered a serious upgrade. I hope that's true, if for nothing else than it indicates we are learning the lessons of last summer.

Looking forward to seeing some well defined cheekbones and a terrific haircut at City next year if that's the case.

@AlexT:

buying cavani is always a good thing, but i have to wonder if dzeko would do as much if only he were given the opportunity.

the guy has played barely half the minutes this season in the league and is still your best league goalscorer...

Hi Baxus. The thing about Dzeko is that, apart from having the first touch of a paraplegic, he slows the play down significantly. He has a turning circle which is reminiscent of Jamie Carragher. We're moving to a fluid 4-3-3 next year and I really can't see him fitting in. You're right about him maybe not getting enough games though.

Archived