Football XL - Thread of the NEW - SUN

baxus

Ramos is and always has been a horrible horrible shit who shouldn't be allowed on the pitch.

Agreed. Serial cheat. Its a real shame he's not a shit footballer as well or we could write him off.

Dortmund made very hard work of that. I really hope they ram Bayern up the shitter in the final.

i have joked with a gunners fan/pal at work of the special one coming to arsenal. could he be? hm. with wenger almost a lock for psg (his next job had better be the french national team) someone will need to take the reigns at emirates.

since saturday i have had moments of anxiety, fear, sadness and a hollow feeling in my stomach when i think about newcastle. we can be relegated. we may even deserve it. at times the team has just been horrid.

the team that took the field on saturday against liverpool was not set up to win or to even score. pardew wanted to hold the ball, maybe get a counterattack goal, but most likely play for a draw. i am ashamed that he went in with such a cynical game plan. the only thing that saves his job currently is that he is pal of ashley. it would look bad on ashley to have to fire him.

now this week we have the hammers at upton park. the hammers are playing very well right now. andy is scoring goals and looks really good. i am worried about this game.

that said the toon must go out with a daring and attacking side. secure that first goal and go from there.

i want this as the side:

cisse up front with ben arfa on the right and marveaux on the left. a midfield of cabaye, sissoko and jonas. a backline of debuchey, coloccini, yanga-mbiya and taylor. elliot in goal.

this is a side that i think can steal away three points on the road.

come on, toon. don't break my heart again. please. oh, please.

i have joked with a gunners fan/pal at work of the special one coming to arsenal. could he be?

Doesn't Mourinho like winning a little too much for this?

since saturday i have had moments of anxiety, fear, sadness and a hollow feeling in my stomach when i think about newcastle. we can be relegated. we may even deserve it. at times the team has just been horrid.

Relegation threatens Werder as well. And they've just suspended two of their (nominally) best players for the rest of the season. Oh joy!

Can't see mourinho to the Arse if I'm being honest. Such a clash of styles.

City are to sign Fernandinho from Shakhtar according to several reliable sources. Edit: Basically a done deal. This is happening. All sorts of places saying he's already a City player...

Can any Chelsea fans shed any light on this guy for me?

Edit: I say Chelsea fans because it seems they've been interested in thus guy for a couple of seasons.

i have joked with a gunners fan/pal at work of the special one coming to arsenal. could he be? hm. with wenger almost a lock for psg (his next job had better be the french national team) someone will need to take the reigns at emirates.

i think steve kean is more likely tbh

pretty strong hint in the post match thing about chelsea. maybe that means a central midfielder and centre half in the summer!

Ferandinho will be a good signing for City, yeah. Good player.

The disambiguation page my google search just sent me to is kind of hilarious:

Fernandinho may refer to:

Me: "...uh...."

Reminds me of the time when (real) Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were in the Brazil team, and the coach was thinking of calling up the defender Ronaldo as well. He was asked why he didn't just refer to them by their surnames to avoid confusion, and replied that this wouldn't really help as the squad had three da Silvas and four named Santos.

Edit: Oh, and Hummels is wildly overrated. Rattling around like nobodies business this evening.

i would disagree on this one.

he did his job rather well in both matches against real, even with THAT blunder in the first match.

if newcastle do get relegated at the end of the season, they would be the best team to get relegated in all the years i'm watching premier league.

i don't think that will happen, but newcastle is certainly not in a good position with 3 matches left to play.

Reminds me of the time when (real) Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were in the Brazil team, and the coach was thinking of calling up the defender Ronaldo as well. He was asked why he didn't just refer to them by their surnames to avoid confusion, and replied that this wouldn't really help as the squad had three da Silvas and four named Santos.

Brazil are so great. Everything about them is entertaining.

i would disagree on this one.

he did his job rather well in both matches against real, even with THAT blunder in the first match.

I just don't see it. I've watched Kompany and Nastasic every game this season and I don't see that Hummels is in the same category.

I am aware that I'm biased, by the way...

Apart from, right now, their football.

Secondary concern.

Back on the Reg Hunter thing - As much as it gives me a brain hernia to link to the Daily fucking Mail, Martin Samuel wrote a piece today which is excellent. This level of good writing is rare for him. An excerpt...

And yet they weren’t embarrassed about Ched Evans. A year ago, when the Professional Footballers’ Association last sat down to honour the outstanding members of their organisation, Sheffield United striker Evans made the League One team of the year. He was widely agreed to have had a good season, until an unfortunate event occurred. He was convicted of rape and sentenced to five years in prison.

The verdict was reached at Caernarfon Crown Court on Friday, April 20, with the PFA dinner on Sunday, April 22. The organisers ploughed ahead.

They did not discreetly withdraw Evans’s name from the roll of honour and so he was lauded and applauded, along with the rest, as if 35 goals in all competitions was of greatest importance on the night.

Not only were the PFA without shame, the organisation defended that decision. A year later, a black American comedian called Reginald D Hunter uttered racial epithets in context during his act at the same dinner, and football imploded.

Archived