Football XL - Thread of the NEW - SUN

baxus

police should not be getting involved in spontaneous things that happen on a football pitch which result in no visible injury IMO.

Why not? If it's something that would result in a police investigation if it happened elsewhere, why should a football pitch be any different?

Hahaha, check out @seppblatter. It looks like he was hacked!

@SeppBlatter: The royal family has done much for #FIFA, I am sure Jordan will make an excellent host for 2030

@SeppBlatter: I have recommended his excellency prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan as my successor

@SeppBlatter:For almost fifteen years I have toiled for this organization #FIFA

@SeppBlatter: I do not apologize for my decision. I have done the best for #FIFA

@SeppBlatter:His excellency the emir of #Qatar has been the most generous figure I have even met

@FIFAWorldCup: It was decided that the president Sepp Blatter is to step down due to corruption charges

retweeted by @SeppBlatter

@FIFAWorldCup: FIFA executives held a meeting regarding the decision to host the 2022 World Cup in #Qatar

retweeted by @SeppBlatter

@SeppBlatter: So what if I took money from Qatari prince? I am the family's bread

ETA: Check out @FIFAWorldCup too.

police should not be getting involved in spontaneous things that happen on a football pitch which result in no visible injury IMO.

had suarez slapped ivanovic on the pitch, should police have gotten involved?

no visible injury there either.

Why not? If it's something that would result in a police investigation if it happened elsewhere, why should a football pitch be any different?

exactly.

as i said earlier, this is a completely different thing from a mistimed tackle that ends with a broken leg.

what happened was common assault, which would also include a push, which happens about a million times a season. what about if a player swears at another, are we to arrest them for a public order offence. lets have some perspective, as i said IMO this is not a matter for police.

AlexT, your thoughts on that please :)

Hehe, I knew I was being a touch trollish :)

ETA:

It's just going to be a bit of a shame when the European teams (and perhaps Argentina) steamroll right over Neymar and pals next year.

I worry about Neymar's development if he stays in Brazil for much longer. He needs to practice against European defenses that will restrict his space far better, and referees who won't whistle at the slightest niggle.

Mario Gotze to Bayern? Strange timing to this.

Where are you getting that from? The only news about Bayern being reported in Germany are all in relation to Hoeneß' criminal investigation and its possible consequences.

Would really surprise me as a move, I assume that if Götze is to leave Dortmund he'll leave the country, to be honest.

ETA: Okay, apparently Bild has a story about it. In most cases that'd be no reason to believe it's true, but when it comes to football they have their sources, especially at Bayern. If true, he has a release clause worth 37 million. Still strikes me as strange that he would go to Munich, but it usually does when anybody goes there.

ETA2: On second thought this might also just be Bild trying to help Uli Hoeneß out by providing the press something else Bayern-related to write about instead of how their president is a criminal. Maybe there's hope.;)

I'd find it odd that Goetze would stab Dortmund in the back like that when he'd have his pick of the world to go to, but then, that's Bayern's MO. I hope it's not true.

I don't really know what their midfield would be supposed to look like with him in it though. Abandon Ribery and Robben, play Goetze, Muller and Kroos as a three ahead of Schweini and Martinez?

I'd find it odd that Goetze would stab Dortmund in the back like that when he'd have his pick of the world to go to, but then, that's Bayern's MO.

What's funny is that just last week, Hoeneß was deploring the lack of competition in the league. Of course this kind of hypocrisy is not something he worries about about all that much right now, I imagine.

what happened was common assault, which would also include a push, which happens about a million times a season. what about if a player swears at another, are we to arrest them for a public order offence. lets have some perspective, as i said IMO this is not a matter for police.

but while a push is part of the game, bite is not.

that is a significant difference ;)

Congratulations, Manchester United. No one can possibly claim they don't deserve it.

AlexT, your thoughts on that please :)

I'm not taking part in this United title orgy I'm afraid. It's taken all my reserves of graciousness not to be a sore loser to my United supporting mates and if I keep talking about it I will lapse.

Essentially, I'm trying to be a grown up about it, so I hope you'll all understand if I stay away from the subject! :)

Actually, one thing I will say is this: Following the amount of United fans who can't seem to celebrate their title win without mentioning City (or, oddly, Steven Gerrard), I will no longer take accusations of City fans being "small time" or "obsessed" from United fans in the future.

It is really fucking sad seeing how insecure a lot of them seem to be.

Archived