Westerosi perceptions about Lyanna's death?

ladyofslytherin

I've read the books recently, and been all over the wiki and the forums. I don't think I've ever seen anything that specifically states what the general belief is about how Lyanna died. So I'm wondering what my fellow forum-dwellers think:

How much information would any members of the peerage possibly have about how Lyanna died? Or Why Rhaegar might have taken her to begin with? Other than Howland Reed, is there any particular house that you think might know enough to come close to the truth? As for the others, do you think they know anything close to the real story?

And the common folk: as has been well demonstrated in movies like Gosford Park or series like Downton Abbey, the servants see and hear more than anyone thinks they do because of their "invisibility" to their lords. How much truth or exaggeration might be in the local population about Lord Stark's sister's death? And what do you think general public opinion might be about whether she eloped with Rhaegar or if he took her?

I know Jorah said that the common people don't care about the high lords and their game of thrones. But a good scandal makes for great conversation over a bowl of brown, especially if it leads to a war and the death of a king. So what do you think is the prevailing opinion in Westeros about what happened to Lyanna and how she died?

I think Ned`s explanation and general knowledge is that she died of some sort of fever. Easy and explainable, no scandals there.

That.

And I think the only other people to know about the truth are Wylla and some members of House Dayne.

That.

And I think the only other people to know about the truth are Wylla and some members of House Dayne.

Interestingly, Daynes are very old family of Valyrian descent, Doran even said for Darkstar that he is the most dangerous man in Dorne, and yet, when Oberyn came to KL, no representative of that House accompanied him. All other Great Dornish Houses came, except of Daynes. Really elusive family.

I would narrow it down to only Wylla. I doubt Ashara and Kingsguards would trust more people than they have to. They needed Wylla because of Lyanna, they didn`t need anyone else.

but don't a lot of people hold rhaegar in high esteem? selmy, jorah etc meaning people don't believe lyanna was kidnapped/raped.

this is one of my problems with R + L = J, surely half the kingdom would have put 2 and 2 together when ned comes back with a child after his sister dies after being away with her lover for months.

They are not Valyrian or Valyrian descent. Their house is 10000 years old, older than Valyria

:bang: :bang: :bang: . I always forget that. Idiot... This is like 3rd or 4th time I am corrected on this one. Thank you.

but don't a lot of people hold rhaegar in high esteem? selmy, jorah etc meaning people don't believe lyanna was kidnapped/raped.

this is one of my problems with R + L = J, surely half the kingdom would have put 2 and 2 together when ned comes back with a child after his sister dies after being away with her lover for months.

He came with a child proclaiming it was his. Who would have doubt that? People always forget that Ned from ASOIAF isn`t Ned from RR. Ned from RR wasn`t famous lord known for honor, he was young boy, newly Lord. It`s normal to believe he sired a bastard. After all, as what GRRM said, there are quite the number of Brandon`s bastard in the North.

:bang: :bang: :bang: . I always forget that. Idiot... This is like 3rd or 4th time I am corrected on this one. Thank you.

Don´t feel so bad.

They look Valyrian to me. Maybe they got some blood in from the motherside. (Although Andals can also be blond, the violet eyes really indicate Valyria).

Pretty much the perception i had in the 1st book:

The evil prince Rhaegar, a rapist with a black heart, kidnaped and raped the beautiful Lyanna, beloved of Robert Baratheon.

The stark girl died because of the cruelty of the nefarious Targaryen, but the brave Baratheon, avenge the death of his love, by killing the evil prince Rhaegar in battle.

Don´t feel so bad.

They look Valyrian to me. Maybe they got some blood in from the motherside. (Although Andals can also be blond, the violet eyes really indicate Valyria).

GRRM has said that he isn't awhere of any Valyrian blood in the Daynes.

I read a crackpot theory that said that maybe the Valyrians are descendants of members of House Dayne that sailed to the Valyrian peninsula.

I think nobody except Robert thinks that Lyanna was kidnaped. When other people tells the story of the war it's obvious that the event that started the war was the murder of the Starks, seems like nobody takes the Lyanna thing as crucial, so surely she was not kidnaped.

Other people that knows about a son of R+L could be a member of the KG and maybe Jojen Reed.

I think nobody except Robert thinks that Lyanna was kidnaped. When other people tells the story of the war it's obvious that the event that started the war was the murder of the Starks, seems like nobody takes the Lyanna thing as crucial, so surely she was not kidnaped.

Other people that knows about a son of R+L could be a member of the KG and maybe Jojen Reed.

I kind of thought Robert was the only one that believes Lyanna was kidnapped. No one else ever has anything bad to say about Rhaegar even Ned. I guess Rickard and Brandon probably believed she was as well. I am of the theory she eloped willingly. So part of the blame for the war that is always put on Rhaegar is partly on Lyanna to.

^Even Bran thinks she was kidnapped, and Robert thinking it points to most people thinking the same.

Couldn't it be possible that Ned let his children believe that so they wouldn't think badly about their aunt for running off and help start a war?

Couldn't it be possible that Ned let his children believe that so they wouldn't think badly about their aunt for running off and help start a war?
Even if Lyanna rode off willingly, why would that be common knowledge? Robert is closer to the situation than anyone but Ned. It seems dumb that anyone would know more of the truth than him.

Archived