Tattooing: The Sequel-Not Loved Enough as Children...

MercenaryChef

Whelp, since you asked.....

None of the elements integrated well, which your artist probably should have told you would be the case by the description before any of it got put on. My (100% serious, though it will sound like joking) advice is to make it a Godzilla tattoo. As it stands it looks like that is what it's meant to be and it just didn't pan out that way. In order to do that you'll have to make it bigger and darker and move the face higher and closer to the front. Find an artist who does realistic stuff to do it, don't incorporate watercolor, don't go back to whoever did that

My (100% serious, though it will sound like joking) advice is to make it a Godzilla tattoo. As it stands it looks like that is what it's meant to be and it just didn't pan out that way.

I'm so glad you said that, I was thinking the same thing.

I hate telling people their tattoos don't look great, because it's all subjective, but I personally wouldn't be happy with that design. The skyline definitely needs tidying up, imho.

Thanks guys for the advice. I wasn't even trying for the Godzilla tattoo theme but I guess the bridge does that. I was meant to get the targ sigil tatttoed and then my ideas spiraled out of control. The skyline is what annoys me the most. It just didn't work out. I am wondering if just making it a solid black would fix things.

all i can think of is ouch! That must have hurt like hell.

I'm not an artist and i really have no creative instinct but here is my reaction -

I actually don't think the skyline is too bad but there is definitely a scale issue. I'd try to get the dragon and the skyline to be closer to the same scale. from what i can see they seem like two completely different elements created without the dragon perspective being correct. maybe bring the dragon in front of the bridge from the skyline/

I am not sure if the dragon can be changed to the front now. That would require the lasering of the skyline. I am considering getting it removed. or getting the whole thing removed. I posted it on tattoo websites and they are all appalled so I think this was a bad idea

I hate telling people their tattoos don't look great, because it's all subjective, but I personally wouldn't be happy with that design. The skyline definitely needs tidying up, imho.

He tried to create a watercolour skyline and it just didn't work.

If I made the skyline a solid black? The background is still to be added booked for 17th Jan 2015 but now I am not sure if I should go through with it. The background is tiny blue rectangular tiles to form a digital sky and then below the the skyline it breaks off into the same tiles but in black.

I'm no tattoo expert but i really like the dragon. It looks really mean and is one of the best I've ever seen. It would be a shame to change it to Godzilla only to justify that poor red skyline, especially if you are not really into Godzilla in a first place. My idea is to change skyline into a reddish flame so that dragon is emerging from it. Red and black can make great combo.

I am a tattoo expert, that skyline is not salvageable as anything orange or red entirely. It can be remade into a decent skyline, but only if it is made bigger. The reason I'd suggest Godzilla is the dragon will look like kaiju by dint of being in among buildings no matter what. And if you fix the skyline to look good, it will not look good with the existing dragon, because it will be much more detailed. If you look up the Godzilla 2014 poster that is black and orange with skyline, you could make it similarish to that by bringing the focus closer and making some of the buildings taller. If this were in person I'd just marker on you to show you, but this is my professional opinion. Laser would open up your options some, it's hard for them to pull color out, so the orange would still be an issue. For those of you wondering why I think this is a bad tattoo, look up Jeff Gogue or Justin Hartman or Nikko Hurtado or Dean Kalcoff or Craig Gardyan, Dan Fletcher, Aimee Cornwell, Mitch Allenden- there are TONS of mind blowing artists out there, I promise some are even near you. You only get one hide, put good shit on it

If you want my (somewhat solicited advice), I would PM Kay and either figure out a way to get her to fix it, or take her recommendation on an artist close to you.

Kay is one of the best artists in the country...

Yep.

Honest advice:

First, don't panic. You're stressed about how this has turned out, but while you're going to feel like you just want to get it fixed, right now, it would be making things worse to let anyone put a needle to your skin until you've made up your mind exactly what you want to do, and talked it over with whoever is going to do it. Take your time.

Second, I would be very cautious about using the same artist again. Whether it's down to his ability or a failure of communication, that relationship has not got you the tattoo you pictured in your head. Chances are it's not going to get you the fix you want, either: at least, not unless both of you are very clear about what went wrong.

If you want my (somewhat solicited advice), I would PM Kay and either figure out a way to get her to fix it, or take her recommendation on an artist close to you.

Kay is one of the best artists in the country...

Thanks I have Pm'd her now :(

Honest advice:

First, don't panic. You're stressed about how this has turned out, but while you're going to feel like you just want to get it fixed, right now, it would be making things worse to let anyone put a needle to your skin until you've made up your mind exactly what you want to do, and talked it over with whoever is going to do it. Take your time.

Second, I would be very cautious about using the same artist again. Whether it's down to his ability or a failure of communication, that relationship has not got you the tattoo you pictured in your head. Chances are it's not going to get you the fix you want, either: at least, not unless both of you are very clear about what went wrong.

Thanks. I feel like I need ot buy some long sleeve stuff to cover this up for the holidays :(

I did take a lot of time to think out what I wanted. For sure it had to be a dragon and it took me 3 months to find this one that I liked enough. I wanted it in black and I didn't realize that it wasn't black until he was like half way though and I was thinking that looks green, and then I thought maybe there is no such thing as black ink and it looks green on darker people. I was wrong. My fault was taking a washed up paint look skyline as a reference at our first meeting. I didn't even mean it to be red it was just a pic I downloaded and I wanted the buildings changed to what I wanted. On the day of the tattoo he just used the image and photoshopped the buildings to some I wanted. And he was so keen about the red paint like looking buildings that I was like okay he knows best. Then he said he gotta change the dragon a bit and I said okay I trust him (I had asked 2 weeks in advance for him to draw it out but he didn't and reassured me on the day that it is not neccesary).

So I hated the skyline and emailed him and said I wanted it covered in jet black and then for the inner arm he needs to draw the volcano first as I am unsure. (I am not even posting pics of the volcano it is so bad) On the day he had not drawn either and said no point in doing the volcano as it will identical to the pic. Now looking at his body of previous work, I was inclined to trust him and because I mostly liked his work with the dragon. So he said the skyline is better as a black red gradient so that the black does not merge with the dragon. So I said okay. And then this mess happened. My next session is booked for 16th Jan 14 (lucky I did not pay deposit for this) and then he is meant to add blue background and then the skyline is meant to break off into black tiles.

Basically I am so embarrassed really by this tattoo that I have been planning for about a year and been eating all my friends ears off about and now I am going home for the hols and going to see all of them. I could die.Furthermore I spent sooooooo much money on this tat. Apologies for the rant. I need to get it all out. :( FML.

That's heartbreaking. I am so sorry. I hope, with Kay's advice, you are able to salvage it to something you will be proud of.

The most important advice has already been given and it sounds like you will follow it - do not go back to that "artist". And if you can, write a review to save others from the same trouble.

Archived