TV Tommen [Spoilers]

AManofManyFaces

Has Nina Gold let us down with the kiddos? New Tommen will be adorable. Either he's a cute little innocent kid too smothered by his mama, or maybe a youngster who's clever enough not to show how clever he is and thus sticks to his kitties. He and Margaery will be weird at first but it might wind up being a cute platonic relationship. Margaery can breathe a sigh of relief she doesn't have to stroke a crossbow anymore.

• 5 months later...

I'm a little sad that due to Tommen's ageing up we probably won't get Ser Pounce or the banning of beets :(

Sadly, probably no banning of beets. They might still give him a pet cat as an homage to the books. Really, aging up Tommen basically changes the character completely. Book Tommen really has no idea what is going on. New TV Tommen will have to have some idea of what is going on. They will have to completely re-think his relationship to Margaery in particular.

My guess is they will make him a much sweeter, slightly more intelligent version of Joffrey.

I think Tommen could become an ensemble darkhorse, if only because the Unsullied probably expect him to be more like Joffrey. His sweetness will catch everyone off-guard.

Will they need to show his kind nature early or need to change Olenna's motivation? What good getting rid of a monster if another steps in?

I think aging up Tommen was a terrible choice and I agree that it changes the character completely.

They more erred in not aging him enough. If they made him Bran's age in the show it would of been better.

Still want to see what they do before I judge.

Ironically Tommen in the show would be about the same age if Martin did his 5 year gap.

I think Tommen could become an ensemble darkhorse, if only because the Unsullied probably expect him to be more like Joffrey. His sweetness will catch everyone off-guard.

I think the Unsullied, at least the more attentive viewers among them, already have a pretty good idea from the show that Tommen is a sweet kid and nothing like Joffrey: asking after Bran in Season 1 (whereas Joffrey was unconcerned and annoyed by Bran's condition), expressing his dislike of the idea of Joffrey killing Robb (2x03), objecting to Cersei's characterization of stags as evil ("They only eat grass") in 2x09, etc. etc. Tyrion has also stated in-show that Myrcella and Tommen are good, sweet children (or words to that effect), and the show hasn't shown anything to contradict that.

My guess is they will make him a much sweeter, slightly more intelligent version of Joffrey.

Or Loras, who was written in Season 3 at least as a bit of a dim bulb, albeit a well-meaning and caring one.

There is so much of Book Tommen that just won't work with an older actor: the kittens, the beet-outlawing, the uncritical stamping of every document, the sweetly innocent relationship with Margaery, etc. etc. An older, good-natured Tommen looks less like an adorable, hapless pawn and more like a viable political figure with real potential. I suppose they could always write him as a mini-Renly: more interested in fun and frivolity and "playing" at being a ruler than in anything substantive. Or as Sansa circa Season 1: sweetly trusting and painfully naive.

Really, aging up Tommen basically changes the character completely. Book Tommen really has no idea what is going on. New TV Tommen will have to have some idea of what is going on. They will have to completely re-think his relationship to Margaery in particular.

I've thought the same thing (I think it's also going to be true with Sweetrobin, whose actor was 13 when they shot this season, and will be 14 next year -- that's more than double the character's age in the novel).

I've been wondering, is the non-consummation necessarily that big an issue? Adultery on the part of the queen is a capital offense by itself.

I expect TV Tommen will be a few years younger than the actor, just as TV Sansa is younger than the actress portraying her. If TV Tommen is only 12 or so, regardless of how old the actor looks, then I can imagine things like the bedding controversy and whatnot carrying over to the TV show without incident.

I've thought the same thing (I think it's also going to be true with Sweetrobin, whose actor was 13 when they shot this season, and will be 14 next year -- that's more than double the character's age in the novel).

I've been wondering, is the non-consummation necessarily that big an issue? Adultery on the part of the queen is a capital offense by itself.

Lino Facioli (Sweetrobin) is still tiny, although taller than he was in season 1, naturally, and looks like an adorable little boy, so I don't think that's going to be a problem, unless he has a sudden growth spurt this year. IMDB gives his height as 5'1 3/4" (1.57 m), which is going to look even smaller next to 5'7" (1.75 m) Sophie Turner, and this is what he looked like in June 2013 https://twitter.com/Lino_Facioli/status/350330672797343744/photo/1/large

I don't quite understand why Dormer's age is constantly used in this context when almost every actor/actress on the show is playing a character younger than their age. It's kind of a Hollywood thing.

We aren't supposed to think that Tyrion is 44 the way Peter Dinklage is. We weren't supposed to think Robb was 27 the way Richard Maddon is. And Margaery is not supposed to be 31 the way Dormer is. She's supposed to be in her mid-20's.

Indeed, it's jarring. Do people really think Ned was supposed to be 50 and Cat in her late 40s, and that they waited till their early 30s to get married and start having kids - in a medieval-type society where you're considered over the hill if you're not married at 20?

Imagine being 14 or 15... ‘Forced’ to lose your virginity to Natalie Dormer.... OMG.

She is absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, so long as the Kittens are in tact, I don’t care how old tommen is.

It reminds me of 12-year-old Joseph Gordon-Levitt forced to marry Patricia Arquette. Poor boy.

:agree:

Interesting comments. I'm going to quote them, and note the utter lack of outrage they caused in this thread, the next time someone says that shipping SanSan is creepy. :closedeyes:

Archived