GRRM confirms that Dany has some heat immunity, but what is the point?

Suzanna Stormborn

The pertinent phrase isn't "Dragon Blood", it's "Darwin Award".

:agree: :lol:

Edit

MMD started chanting because she was about to burn alive and didn't want to scream. That failed, obviously. I think Dany survied because of Red comet. It showed just two hours before she light the pyre. Can't be sure about timing (maybe comet showed 10 minutes before pyre burned?), but I am positive red comet showed on that night. She thinks it was red star at first, but in ACOK comet started to grow and become more clearer and I think she metion "that comet show then and then" back in ACOK.

Well, that's an interesting opinion.

I just believe Mirri Maz Duur was being used as a conduit to with the fires to feed to the dragons, and finally dragons were born, and that's my opinion.

I have no idea if the Red Comet had to do with the event, or the event had to do with the Red Comet (chicken and the egg), myself, so I won't argue with you on it.

That is not at all likely to happen and doesn't really need to either. It was already proved in A Dance with Dragons that Daenerys is not immune to fire (which, everybody -- and I mean, everybody -- should have naturally assumed anyway). Daenerys burns herself when she confronts and deals with her dragon; not badly, obviously, but that is only because she wasn't at any point ever hit with a direct shot of fire or anything close to it.

She wasn't burned by fire in A Dance with Dragons apart from her hair. She was burnt by a heated object, like Jon.

She wasn't burned by fire in A Dance with Dragons apart from her hair. She was burnt by a heated object, like Jon.

Is that right? Was Jon not burned by the fire either. i was thinking he was this whole time, but he was specifically burned by the lantern and not the fire?

He was burned by flames. He threw the lantern at the curtain with both hands, but used one hand to move to burning curtain to the wight.

Jon plunged his hand into the flames, grabbed a fistful of the burning drapes, and whipped them at the dead man.

As has been illustrated in this thread and others, Dany's body wasn't burned by fire because she wasn't hit by fire.

You don't need to inbreed to produce any birth defect. Inbreeding just makes it much more likely. And when you see insanity in many family members over many generations, it is pretty clear that something is wrong with their genes.

but I am wondering if birth defects are less likely in animals, or reptiles, for instance. My point is, would having some dragon blood in them prevent the Targaryens from physical birth defects due to inbreeding. Does anyone know?

but I am wondering if birth defects are less likely in animals, or reptiles, for instance. My point is, would having some dragon blood in them prevent the Targaryens from physical birth defects due to inbreeding. Does anyone know?

Birth defects are just as common in animals as it is with humans, since we too are animals.

He was burned by flames. He threw the lantern at the curtain with both hands, but used one hand to move to burning curtain to the wight.

Jon plunged his hand into the flames, grabbed a fistful of the burning drapes, and whipped them at the dead man.

As has been illustrated in this thread and others, Dany's body wasn't burned by fire because she wasn't hit by fire.

Ok sorry I thought he grabbed the lantern (the heated metal) by the hand. My mistake. She was hit by the fire, because her clothes were rags and her hair was burnt off. Like I said try and aim a flamethrower at sometimes head and burn only the hair and not the scalp, it can't be done, because the skin close by would be affected before the hair caught fire. Like I said she is not immune to heat, but there has been two instances where her hair has been burnt off, yet her skin has remained unharmed through fire. Two times.

Impossible to know because no one in the real world has dragon blood, it is untestable, this is a fantasy novel you realise. As a biologist I can tell you though that the majority of life strives and produces ingenious concoctions to PREVENT inbreeding.

they probably don't physically have dragon's blood in their veins

They probably physically have dragon's blood in their veins. That'd be the bestest way to acquire hereditary fire resistance. No better source, really. And their ancestors had the egos of pharoahs; they would have demanded to try such a stunt as mingling their blood with the blood of the beasts they so identified with. ~ "If just taming the dragon can make me a god on earth, how much further might it enhance me to take in the very substance of the dragon itself! Might this not lift me into the skies and make me into an actual god, not just a god of men!"

I don't read into the Blood of the Dragon thing. One of my favorite conversations is when Illyrio tells Tyrion that Lords in Westeros take their sigils too seriously. I think that's basically what the Targs did.

I read into the Blood of the Dragon thing. The Targs really took their sigil seriously, and it paid off for them in the biggest way. All the other families are gripping their sigils real hard now wishing they could get similar results. Copycat sigil-seriousness. It's an epidemic. Look at how the Lannister twins were banging each other so hard. Why? Peer pressure. The Targs were their biggest rock star role models, the godlike pharoah family the Lannisters dreamed of being, and the Targs were always shagging each other, so the Lannister twins copied the shagging of the Targ family because they thought it was cool to be a pharoah couple so they emulated the behavior. Just because they were taking the Targ worship way too far for no good reason, does that mean the Targs had no reason for their own incest? The Targs probably had a real "justification" for their inbreeding. They were probably loath to marry outside the family because that'd dilute The Blood of the Dragon. They feared that their control over the beasts would slip, degrade somehow. (Strangely, the dragons and the Targs both interbred to the point that things still broke down, not from diluting the blood but from the opposite extreme. It's like they overreacted with the incest in the attempt to preserve what magic they had for as long as humanly possible, knowing that it'd run out eventually since the rest of the worthy Dragon Blood families were dead after Valyria's explosion.

Here's a sampling of some hot bath/hot temp scenes:

snipped: ~ OMG SO MANY BATHS HAVE BEEN TAKEN IN THIS SERIES!!!!!!

You compiled a list of all the people who've ever taken baths! This was---at the same time--- both the most amazing piece of ASOIAF research I've ever seen AND perhaps the single most unnerving post I've ever encountered. Powerfully disconcerting. That someone would compile a list of all baths taken. All in the name of research. When, clearly, this was something else entirely. :cool4:

What about her hair burning on fire while she cracks a whip and yells demands at Drogon while he breathes fire all around her. She mentions feeling a warm gust of wind, and this warm gust is hot enough for her hair to catch fire. Clearly she has a resistance to fire.

Hair fires are a mainstay among show people. Michael Jackson did it on the set of that music video. I believe J-Lo has had a hair fire on stage as well. Now look at when and where Daenerys' hair caught on fire: it was her first STADIUM PERFORMANCE. And it was a sellout crowd, every seat filled. What was she supposed to do, disappoint her fans? This is when you pull out all the stops. You give the people a show to remember. If your hair isn't on fire in that moment, you're not trying!

This has to qualify as the most absurd ongoing debate on this forum.

The rocks had scraped her hands raw. They are better than they were, though, she decided as she picked at a broken blister. Her skin was pink and tender, and a pale milky fluid was leaking from her cracked palms, but her burns were healing.

Martin, George R.R. (2011-07-12). A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (p. 929). Bantam. Kindle Edition.

Newsflash: Daenerys suffers burns. Apparently she is human.

Impossible to know because no one in the real world has dragon blood, it is untestable, this is a fantasy novel you realise. As a biologist I can tell you though that the majority of life strives and produces ingenious concoctions to PREVENT inbreeding.

You are a biologist ? Maybe you can help me with my homework ?

haha, thanks, ok that's what i thought. I didn't mean did anyone know in real life, I meant, had it been mentioned in any of the books anywhere. But your above post is spot on! Thank you for saying that. There is no way someone's hair could burn off like that without affecting the scalp at all like the second time in the fighting pit. I think the higher tolerance to heat that Targaryens posses which 'ordinary' people do not posses must lie in the Epidermis right? Although I also think that her lungs must be able to tolerate heat at a higher capacity as well since in THOTU she was in a room completely filled with smoke and fire and had no problems breathing at all. Plus at the end of DwD when Drogon burns the horse and they both start eating it. They start eating it immediately, she just reaches her hands in and starts chomping down. Now the fat on the horse would be too hot to touch right after Drogon burned the entire thing alive. It would be scalding hot fat and not only does hse plunge her hands into it, but she shoves it right in her mouth as well. Seems like It would be too hot and charred for her to eat. Which is backed up by the fact that drogon immediately starts eating it as well. and we know he likes his meat blackened and smoldering, and he always burns his prey then eats it first thing. Just a point i noticed.

Hair fires are a mainstay among show people. Michael Jackson did it on the set of that music video. I believe J-Lo has had a hair fire on stage as well. Now look at when and where Daenerys' hair caught on fire: it was her first STADIUM PERFORMANCE. And it was a sellout crowd, every seat filled. What was she supposed to do, disappoint her fans? This is when you pull out all the stops. You give the people a show to remember. If your hair isn't on fire in that moment, you're not trying!

Well clearly this means the Jackson family are actually Targaryens. I'll leave it to the rest of the posters to make further connections :)

They probably physically have dragon's blood in their veins. That'd be the bestest way to acquire hereditary fire resistance. No better source, really. And their ancestors had the egos of pharoahs; they would have demanded to try such a stunt as mingling their blood with the blood of the beasts they so identified with. ~ "If just taming the dragon can make me a god on earth, how much further might it enhance me to take in the very substance of the dragon itself! Might this not lift me into the skies and make me into an actual god, not just a god of men!"

I read into the Blood of the Dragon thing. The Targs really took their sigil seriously, and it paid off for them in the biggest way. All the other families are gripping their sigils real hard now wishing they could get similar results. Copycat sigil-seriousness. It's an epidemic. Look at how the Lannister twins were banging each other so hard. Why? Peer pressure. The Targs were their biggest rock star roll models, the godlike pharoah family the Lannisters dreamed of being, and the Targs were always shagging each other, so the Lannister twins copied the shagging of the Targ family because they thought it was cool to be a pharoah couple so they emulated the behavior. Just because they were taking the Targ worship way too far for no good reason, does that mean the Targs had no reason for their own incest? The Targs probably had a real "justification" for their inbreeding. They were probably loath to marry outside the family because that'd dilute The Blood of the Dragon. Their control over the beasts would slip, degrade somehow. (Strangely, the dragons and the Targs both interbred to the point that things still broke down, not from diluting the blood but from the opposite extreme. It's like they overreacted with the incest in the attempt to preserve what magic they had for as long as humanly possible, knowing that it'd run out eventually since the rest of the worthy Dragon Blood families were dead after Valyria's explosion.

You compiled a list of all the people who've ever taken baths! This was---at the same time--- both the most amazing piece of SOIAF research I've ever seen AND perhaps the single most unnerving post I've ever encountered. Powerfully disconcerting. That someone would compile a list of all baths taken. All in the name of research. When, clearly, this was something else entirely. :cool4:

Haha :cheers: . that's funny. I didn't really understand the relevance of the listing all the baths either.

But I'm not sure if the Lannister twins started doing each other in an effort to copy the targaryens, They started doing naughty sexual things at a very young age. When their mother was still alive if i'm correct, which would mean they 6 or younger. I don't think they were thinking they could be like the Targ's by doing that.

Well clearly this means the Jackson family are actually Targaryens. I'll leave it to the rest of the posters to make further connections :)

No Michaels Body was burned too, thats why he was on pain killers and thats how he got addicted.

Archived