The Faiths Champion

Oh, my sweet summer child…

Of course Sandor will not be chosen to fight against Ser Strong. First off, the HS doesn’t know about Sandor Clegane’s survival. Secondly, Sandor is still recovering from his injuries. Thirdly, Sandor thinks that his brother is dead so he has no reason to ride to Kingslanding. Fourthly, Sandor is considered to be an oathbreaker (remember "Fuck the city") and a vicious outlaw (Rorge's crimes in Saltpans). Finally, whoever fights Ser Strong the first time has to die. Cersei’s will meet her maker after the Valonqar murders her, so she can’t be found guilty. Eventually, Sandor will fight with Ungregor but that’s ADOSstuff (or at the very end of tWoW).

The only real candidate to fight against Ser Strong is Lancel. He is a devoted member of the Faith Militant. He played a part in Cersei’s crimes and he himself is looking for redemption (hence joining the Faith Militant and spilling his beans to Jaime). He’s also not unskilled in battle (not saying that he’s any good but he has experienced battle before). Furthermore, you have to take into account that the HS, despite all his apparent political insight, is still a zealot. If Lancel, one of his first and most pious recruits (seeing that he gave up a Lordship to become one of the Fath Militant), asks for the chance to redeem himself in battle, the HS will allow it. The HS probably thinks that the Gods are going to intervene to save Lancel. On top of that you have to take the Dornish factor into account, Tyene is sent to infiltrate the Faith and she’ll probably succeed in influencing the Faith Militant. It would be in Dorne’s best interests to release Cersei, because if Cersei gets her freedom back she’ll immediately start plotting against the Tyrells and all the other players in Kingslanding. This will severly weaken the Lannister-Tyrell alliance and increase the likelihood of revenge on the entire Lannister-clan (If Cersei gets killed than even an oaf like Mace Tyrell should be able to keep things together and protect Myrcella and Tommen).

yeah i disagree about Lancel, No way will anyone think that little weakling will be able to beat Ungregor.

Lancel would be an idiotic choice, Sandor seems likely, since he wants to kill his brother and he is a man of the faith now. If they can't come up with someone who they think can beat UnGregor then IMO it's possible they will demand Trail by 7, but that's a long shot.

The HS would be choosing Lancel not because he's absolutely certain that Lancel would win, but that naming him the Faith's champion would make Cersei choose to forgo a trial by combat to avoid her harming her kin and former lover.

Sandor won't be chose, because 1) the HS doesn't even know he is on the QI 2) even if the HS did know why would he send to use a crippled Sandor when he has hundreds of able bodied knights in KL.

The HS would be choosing Lancel not because he's absolutely certain that Lancel would win, but that naming him the Faith's champion would make Cersei choose to forgo a trial by combat to avoid her harming her kin and former lover.

Sandor won't be chose, because 1) the HS doesn't even know he is on the QI 2) even if the HS did know why would he send to use a crippled Sandor when he has hundreds of able bodied knights in KL.

Sandor is crippled? I remember only that he lost an ear, was there more to it?

The Hound, as he is the valonqar. It is known.

That would be sweet and fitting.

I think the valonqar could be a lot of people though, but as long as Cersei dies, I'm happy. Sandor becoming religious just before the faith needs a good fighter to fight ungreg, his brother, he has wanted to kill most of his life, seems to be the best outcome for Sandor and the story.

And I must point out at this time, who is a more capable fighter than Sandor to defeat Ungreg?

One other thing off track, if Ungreg wins against any other person, say Lancel for example, then Ungreg will be finished off by Sandor and/or Brienne/Jaime whilst looking for Sansa.

Sandor is crippled? I remember only that he lost an ear, was there more to it?

If he is the gravedigger on QI he was moving with a bad limp like he was lame in one leg. Arya also said that his leg wound smelled funny and seemed to be the worst wound he had gotten. We dont know if this wound has permanently crippled him but he clearly has not finished healing if this guy is indeed him.

:shocked: WTF! I agree that Lancel is going to be the Faiths Champion but this is probably the dumbest reason imaginable for the HS to put Lancel forward.

:shocked: WTF! I agree that Lancel is going to be the Faiths Champion but this is probably the dumbest reason imaginable for the HS to put Lancel forward.

I just think the faith are smarter and more conniving than that. Look at the scene where he was torturing Osmund Kettlebeck to get info, why do all that just so Cersi can get off because they choose a champion who is a sick little weakling?? it just doesn't make sense.

Just because the High Septon may wish for another option...does not mean he has one. I don't think anyone short of Sandor/Jamie with a hand/The Red Viper could really give UnGregor a decent fight. I think the whole point is the High Septon had no way to plan for a Undead Hulk.....he will be surprised.

I just think the faith are smarter and more conniving than that. Look at the scene where he was torturing Osmund Kettlebeck to get info, why do all that just so Cersi can get off because they choose a champion who is a sick little weakling?? it just doesn't make sense.

The Faith isn’t as smart or as conniving as people think. We have only seen the HS interact with Cersei’s plots. And yes, he outsmarted her there but you have to keep in mind that someone likes Cersei (who does not respect the power of the Gods and who thinks that everyone can be bought) is the perfect prey for the rigid Faith (just like Ned Stark as an honorable man was the perfect prey for Cersei).

The qualities of the HS lie more in his fanaticism, his dedication to his mission to restore the Faith of the Seven. I’m not saying that he hasn’t got any low cunning, he certainly has that, but he lacks true insight and adaptability.

Anyways, the best option for the HS is to let Lancel fight. Some reasons:

1) Who else? Lancel is probably the most famous member of the Faith Militant and one of the more competent ones. I’m not saying that Theodan the true is incompetent, but he doesn’t seem to be one of the top tier knights in Westeros. Lancel is probably as good and if he wins he would make a perfect poster boy for the Faith Militant (the Lannister that changed his way, gave up his Lordship to serve the divine entities of the Seven and overcame all odds).

2) Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t Lancel confessed that he slept with Cersei? If the HS sends another champion and that one loses than the HS finds himself in an awkward position since Lancel (who’ll certainly be on Cersei to whack list) is a part of his personal army. If Cersei wins he’ll have trouble enough dealing with the Old Queen, so he doesn’t need Lancel around to fuck things up a little more.

3) The HS is a zealot/fanatic. Lancel has asked for forgiveness, he has come clean, he’s a member of the Faith Militant and he lives by all the crazy rules of the Faith. How on earth could the Gods not grant him victory over this unknown knight (or if they suspect that he’s Ungregor this unholy monster) who fights for this devious queen.

Everyone is so sure Strong will win, and Cersei be judged free - I cannot see an undead hulk functioning correctly, I understand Cersei needs to live to see Tommen and Mrycella die, maybe Ungregor loses and Cersei tries to overthrow the faith rather than be executed. Maybe he wins, and when they figure out he is a monster the faith besiege the capital ... maybe Aegon, or Dany walks into Kings Landing to see the HS on the throne, swarmed by fanatics and they have to deal with him ...

Maybe the faith see he is a monster, and try to overthrow him like a hash up of Frankenstein, the villagers turn on the monster, will we see an ungregor standing against hordes of the faith militant, with Cersei looking down, maybe a nice dramatic Monologue ... maybe they have already killed her children, maybe she tries to blow up the city with the Wildfire Aerys planted under the city, and maybe a younger brother of someone strangles her to death - I do love maybes.

I don't understand why do people believe Faith's champion will be one of already known characters, and thus limit their discussion on Lancel, Sandor and Theoden the True. To me, most logical solution for HS would be to simply pick best swordsmen among Warrior's Sons to champion Faith - and best fighter is unlikely to be any of the characters mentioned (and more likely, completely new character):

Lancel

-not an A-class swordsmen. Probably decent, but nothing spectalular. I guess there are dozens of better ones HS would sooner choose.

-seemed intent to repent himself by fasting. For one who plans on fighting in a duel, lack of food seriously diminishes strength and stamina.

-from what we know of him, does HS really seem as romantic who would choose Lancel because of some sort of poetic justice? Or harsh and self-righteous Stannis-like type of character who would choose whoever has the best chances of winning?

Theoden

- just a tertiary character mentioned once as captain of Cersei's guard during Walk of Shame. We know nothing of his fighting ability, so I guess he's just as likely to be chosen as any other random Warrior's Son. My point is: being mentioned once does not make Theoden automatically signicicant in any way.

Sandor

- HS doesn't know he's alive

- he thinks his brother is already dead

- he's wanted for major crimes committed by Rorge

- he's still limping

- and even if all of the above is somehow resolved - his character arc is going in completely opposite direction, He seems to have found inner peace being monk, and him rushing to KL to slay his brother would render all his character development meaningless.

The HS is a religious fanatic, he doesn't care how the trial reflects on him, he cares only that there is a trial and that the gods are given the opportunity to make their ruling.

Exactly. It wouldn't matter who the champion of the seven was if they truely belived in had faith. The God's would surely sort out right from wrong and if Cersei is guilty, somehow their champion would prevail.

Exactly. It wouldn't matter who the champion of the seven was if they truely belived in had faith. The God's would surely sort out right from wrong and if Cersei is guilty, somehow their champion would prevail.

Shit though, the HS is fanatic, and probably insane, but he did seem quite shrewd in his own way. Surely even he could see that Lancel would be an awful choice

Archived