[book spoilers] Ep. 10 Synopsis revealed

Mancos Seaworth

And in episode 10 Ygritte, Tormund en co will be back with Mance and Jon will be back at Castle black.

I'm trying to figure out how this would work: I recall reading that Mance talks to Ygirtte and Tormund again, but, um, they're on different sides of the Wall now. Am I missing something obvious about how this could make sense?

I'm trying to figure out how this would work: I recall reading that Mance talks to Ygirtte and Tormund again, but, um, they're on different sides of the Wall now. Am I missing something obvious about how this could make sense?

probably between episode 9 and 10 a couple of days has past in westeros (probably not in essos), couple of days after RW etc etc etc. So tormund and co just moved back over the wall to mances camp.

I'd say it's very like Joff making Loras a Kingsguard so Cersei doesn't have to marry him, just to spite Tywin.

:agree:

I think it will end up with Dany taking Meereen. She also decides to stay there and rule instead of going west (which will be a boring, yet intriguing finale).

Mereen definitly can't happen yet. That would leave a whole book and a half of material to go through with no Dany. I know they're not sticking strictly to the books anymore but that would really screw with the timeline.

I don't think they will leave people hanging for a year on Arya, though that would be kind of awesome. I think she'll have that final scene where she realizes that her mother is dead and goes off with the Hound. Please god, no un-Cat this season!

I don't see what they're going to do with Jaime before the PW. Since people seem to travel instantaneously on the show, I can't see it taking him three or four episodes to get back to King's Landing. I did have a thought. What if Brienne is Dontos? Think about it. Where would she take Sansa now if not to her only known living relative? (Besides the Blackfish but who knows where he'll be.) Thus effectively delivering her to Littlefinger. Then she'll go off in search of Arya because Littlefinger can tell her that Arya is still alive and where he last saw her. It doesn't really matter which sister she is looking for. At least not yet.

You guys are funny. They fooled you with just a bit of synopsis - I hope you enjoy the PW in season 3 all the more for being surprised. I don't have a lot of faith in D&D, but even they couldn't fail to include the most obvious, ultimate cap on the season with the event they themselves have telegraphed in virtually every episode, including in episode 7. "Some Lannisters' gloating in King's Landing" would be a total abdication of good storytelling.

This is clearly not going to happen. The 9th episode is always the climax and the 10th is always a winding down, with Jon facing the unknown and Dany doing something inspriring. Having another big showy murderous wedding on the heals of the RW would be horrible storytelling. Not to mention so many things need to happed beforehand. There has been no plan to help Sansa escape yet, not to mention we need time to see her morn and Joffrey gloat. You can't shove that and the PW into one episode and have all the other characters stories get tied up too.

there will be no battle at Castle black this season. That will be next season. Only Orell dies in episode 9. And in episode 10 Ygritte, Tormund en co will be back with Mance and Jon will be back at Castle black.

I don't understand this at all. So we're not going to get the scirmish at Castle Black when Ygritte is killed in the books? Is she going to be killed in the big battle? Because that to me would be bullshit. It's important to Jon's character that she dies before his defence of the wall. He has to go through that pain and grow to become the leader he is destined to be. And will they have Alliser Thorne get there in time to send Jon beyond the wall right before the big battle? This will be next season, of course.

:agree:

Mereen definitly can't happen yet. That would leave a whole book and a half of material to go through with no Dany. I know they're not sticking strictly to the books anymore but that would really screw with the timeline.

I don't think they will leave people hanging for a year on Arya, though that would be kind of awesome. I think she'll have that final scene where she realizes that her mother is dead and goes off with the Hound. Please god, no un-Cat this season!

They left things out of season 2 and 3 on purpose for some characters (Bran, Arya for instance) so that they have some material for season 4. So don't worry.

I don't see what they're going to do with Jaime before the PW. Since people seem to travel instantaneously on the show, I can't see it taking him three or four episodes to get back to King's Landing. I did have a thought. What if Brienne is Dontos? Think about it. Where would she take Sansa now if not to her only known living relative? (Besides the Blackfish but who knows where he'll be.) Thus effectively delivering her to Littlefinger. Then she'll go off in search of Arya because Littlefinger can tell her that Arya is still alive and where he last saw her. It doesn't really matter which sister she is looking for. At least not yet.

We won't see Jaime until the final. Probably just one scene, where he talks with Brienne why he saved her. That leaves probably 2 episodes left for him pre-PW. A scene where he will visit the inn or something like that. And some scenes where we will learn more about Qyburn.

I don't understand this at all. So we're not going to get the scirmish at Castle Black when Ygritte is killed in the books? Is she going to be killed in the big battle? Because that to me would be bullshit. It's important to Jon's character that she dies before his defence of the wall. He has to go through that pain and grow to become the leader he is destined to be. And will they have Alliser Thorne get there in time to send Jon beyond the wall right before the big battle? This will be next season, of course.

Depends. They want the battle at episode 8 or 9 at the end of the season like season 2. (probably 9). That means that they need to fill in the season. So we can expect the battle at Castle black around episode 5 (very short) and than episode 9 the battle at the wall.

They can throw something in during the travels to KL. Maybe Jaime's stump gets infected, he's feverish and can't ride, so they stop for a day or two while Qyburn treats it? More of Qyburn's skills and background, a reminder of Jaime's helplessness, and maybe seeing Brienne's concern for him... Or hey, Brienne was pretty badly mauled by that bear - maybe it's her running a fever, and we get to see Jaime watching over her.

Anyway, that's just one way they could be delayed. I'm sure there are many others. There's a war going on, after all.

I really dont think so... quite an anticlimatic finale... the best way to end Dany's arc this season is after the freedom of all the Yunkish slaves (the Myhsa scene) and her looking North, towards Meereen and more slaves to free...

There are only two arcs I have no idea how they will end :

- Stannis : will we get to the letter or will it be on season 4 ?

- Arya : will we see her alive and well during episode 10 ?

Otherwise, quite all the arcs have a logical ending :

- Bran and co : passing the Black-Gate.

- Sam and Gilly : leaving Bran and co behind them through the Black-Gate.

- Jon : return injured to Castle Black. Maybe one quick scene with Maester Aemon when he warns him of the events (maybe sending the letter, thus puting it in season 4 for Stannis).

- Jaime : on the road to KL... like last year, not a really finale for him... just transition.

- KL : after the RW...

- Theon : one last scene of torture where we will learn the identity of Ramsay Snow.

And to this, you can maybe add UnCat.

I've stated Dany, Arya and Stannis above too... I guess it wraps everyone...

I imagine the season will wrap with as few secondary characters carrying over to season 4 as possible - I think getting Uncat in before the end of this season allows them to drop Dondarrion and a few others out of the story.

Not sure about Aemon Targaryen - he hasn't been in this season at all. I think the letter scene will be next season, and he will return to the main cast rather than a cameo at the end of this season.

Jamie will get back to KL at the end I recon (I know, out of sequence, but it doesn't really matter that much). Stannis? Well, either he gets the letter or he doesn't. It will wrap at about that point of the story though.

------------------------------

I imagine episode 1 of season 4 would then pick up with Stannis heading to the wall, Jon defending the wall, politics between Lannisters and Tyrells, Dany moving on Meereen, Jamie as KG Lord Commander, Bolton/Frey forces heading towards Moat Callin. Purple wedding probably in episode 2.

As for Jaime, yeah, I guess we will have a scene on the road : exposition on Qyburn, relation with Brienne.

Jon will be back at CB, learning, maybe from Aemon or Pyp, the cruel lack of men there and warning about the upcoming wildling attack. Someone might mention that they are doom, having nobodoy to lead the defense... and then... the next on season 4.

(maybe Aemon telling Jon he has sent letters asking for help).

Arya : maybe a scene on the road with the Hound (her accepting her mother and brother are dead and feeling empty and aimless).

I think we will have all the characters in the last episode.

The only ones that can eventually be skipped are Jon (if his return takes place in episode 9), Jaime (but I dont think so), Theon (but very unlikely), Arya (but I hope not) and maybe some Tyrells (but again, I guess we will see everyone). It's gonna be one hell of a packed episode !

They can throw something in during the travels to KL. Maybe Jaime's stump gets infected, he's feverish and can't ride, so they stop for a day or two while Qyburn treats it? More of Qyburn's skills and background, a reminder of Jaime's helplessness, and maybe seeing Brienne's concern for him... Or hey, Brienne was pretty badly mauled by that bear - maybe it's her running a fever, and we get to see Jaime watching over her.

Anyway, that's just one way they could be delayed. I'm sure there are many others. There's a war going on, after all.

Is not necessary. Look at Bran's story in season 3. What happened with him at the end of episode 5? He was in 2 episodes. They just need one or two scenes with them like Bran in season 3. Jaime is important post-PW

This is clearly not going to happen. The 9th episode is always the climax and the 10th is always a winding down, with Jon facing the unknown and Dany doing something inspriring. Having another big showy murderous wedding on the heals of the RW would be horrible storytelling. Not to mention so many things need to happed beforehand. There has been no plan to help Sansa escape yet, not to mention we need time to see her morn and Joffrey gloat. You can't shove that and the PW into one episode and have all the other characters stories get tied up too.

Yeah, well if it doesnt' happen then they've kind of messed up this season. Maybe next season will be better. RW just lacks punch, because (as in the books), Rob hasn't done anything this season. In the TV translation, it all just feels totally arbitrary. I can see they tried to add some drama and sadness to Rob's arc this season, but they never really made a clear story for him, and none of the random blunders of Rob this season have involved any real interaction of characters. At the same time, nothing meaningful has happened in KL, except for Tyrion's love life. They're all just very loosely connected events. Tywin writes some letters, RW happens. The more interesting stuff this season has been the Tyrell-Lannister intrigue, but it doesn't look like there'll be any real events stemming from that, nor any compelling cliffhanger. So this season, like Theon's story arc, was largely just a series of random mini-stories happening without a compelling narrative flow or purpose to connect any of the separate tales. it followed the book well, and I enjoyed several of the episodes, but in the book you don't have an arbitrary wait of a year midway in the story. In TV, it's pretty glaring when an entire season's political events feel like deus ex machine.

Yeah, well if it doesnt' happen then they've kind of messed up this season. Maybe next season will be better. RW just lacks punch, because (as in the books), Rob hasn't done anything this season. In the TV translation, it all just feels totally arbitrary. I can see they tried to add some drama and sadness to Rob's arc this season, but they never really made a clear story for him, and none of the random blunders of Rob this season have involved any real interaction of characters. At the same time, nothing meaningful has happened in KL, except for Tyrion's love life. They're all just very loosely connected events. Tywin writes some letters, RW happens. The more interesting stuff this season has been the Tyrell-Lannister intrigue, but it doesn't look like there'll be any real events stemming from that, nor any compelling cliffhanger. So this season, like Theon's story arc, was largely just a series of random mini-stories happening without a compelling narrative flow or purpose to connect any of the separate tales. it followed the book well, and I enjoyed several of the episodes, but in the book you don't have an arbitrary wait of a year midway in the story. In TV, it's pretty glaring when an entire season's political events feel like deus ex machine.

You have some good points about this season, but at the same time I feel like D&D know what they're doing at this point and will find away to end the final episode by tying together the story lines of this season and making some of the things that have seemed random and incoherent (cough, Theon, I'm looking your way) and making the story's entirety seem complete and well-connected. We have to keep in mind that while it's one thing to critique and review one episode at a time, we haven't seen all of season 3 yet so reviewing the season as a whole would be an incomplete review. And there are a lot of examples of stories that seem disjointed and random before the climax and ending. I don't think that they can't make the end work without the PW, though I also admit I don't see why so many people think it would ruin the finale to have another high moment like that.

Another good thing to remember about the ending is that it doesn't have to (and often doesn't) correlate exactly to what happens in the book, so I feel like there are plenty of ways they could make the end of this season tie it all together nicely while still building a lot of anticipation for season 4.

No PW this season -- enough weddings already, and the PW launches the whole Tyrion trial/Sansa fleeing with LF bits. At this point, I think additional significant deaths - of major characters - will dilute the impact of the others we've seen.

There is also a lot that has to take place before Stannis arrives at the wall, so that's gotta be in Season 4, though the sparing of Gendry and however that plays out will be in Season 3, I think, otherwise that bit will Gendry and the leeches will just fade into the background and be forgotten with all of the other more dramatic action in these last two episodes. The wildling battle and Ygritte's death will be next season. They already have their hands full with RW, Yunkai, Queens Crown, Coldhands/Black Gate, Jon making it back to Castle Black, Arya/Sandor playing out to include their arrival at The Twins just in time for the RW. I'm thinking Sandor's slamming Arya in the head with an axe will be powerful as a part of Episode 10, however small. I remember reading about that at the end of a chapter and being plunged into angst until I found out she survived. That can be another cliff hanger, in addition to the others that have been mentioned.

I'd also like to see Ramsay's identity revealed before Season 3 ends...if not, I think people will tire of waiting around to find out who he is (I know I'm already 'way beyond tired of that whole arc). Plus, in the books, it's at The Twins prior to the RW that Roose shows the piece of Theon's skin that he's gotten from Ramsay. That whole conversation that takes place with Robb, Catelyn, Greatjon, Roose, etc. just before the wedding would be a good way to reveal Ramsay's identity, as well as Robb's Will (provided they're going to include it), without taking too much time away from the RW.

:dunno:

No PW this season -- enough weddings already, and the PW launches the whole Tyrion trial/Sansa fleeing with LF bits. At this point, I think additional significant deaths - of major characters - will dilute the impact of the others we've seen.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with you. Ending the season with Balon Greyjoy, Robb Stark and Joffrey all dead would be epic television. It leaves all of Westeros in chaos and draws the viewers back for another season. I honestly can't think of a better cliffhanger.

Really the only proof we have that the PW isn't this season is because there have been no spoilers and Oberyn Martell hasn't been cast. These are not concrete reasons, if you ask me. Oberyn can just be brought in next season as a judge for Tyrion's trial.

And just because it isn't in the episode description doesn't prove anything either. Remember episode 8, with

"sam and gilly meet an older gentleman", we all thought that was Coldhands. So they could just be trolling us.

The PW wont happen in the finale simply because this episode will have too much to cover :

- Bran and Sam meeting and Coldhands.

- Jon back at Castle Black and exhange of news.

- Jaime and Brienne on the road.

- Davos smuggling Gendry and possible letter.

- Ramsay's reveal and possible legitimization.

- Arya and the Hound on the road.

- Mysha scene at Yunka'i.

- Littlefinger at the Eyrie.

- Iron Islands : maybe Balon's death and the Silence at the horizon.

- All the KL stuff, after the RW. Maybe throwing a line there about the arrival of the Red Viper.

- UnCat.

The PW wont happen in the finale simply because this episode will have too much to cover :

- Bran and Sam meeting and Coldhands.

- Jon back at Castle Black and exhange of news.

- Jaime and Brienne on the road.

- Davos smuggling Gendry and possible letter.

- Ramsay's reveal and possible legitimization.

- Arya and the Hound on the road.

- Mysha scene at Yunka'i.

- Littlefinger at the Eyrie.

- Iron Islands : maybe Balon's death and the Silence at the horizon.

- All the KL stuff, after the RW. Maybe throwing a line there about the arrival of the Red Viper.

- UnCat.

Uncat is nog certain, and Davos saving Gendry will be next season. Because they are at the wall in episode 9. What are they going to do the whole season?

Archived