[SPOILERS] So about Ros...

Capt. Zemblanity

1) I have been very vocal in my complaints about the gratutious torture of Theon.

2) Theon's scenes have not been over-sexualised.

Yes, she was designed simply for sexposition which is problematic in itself. But that doesn't mean her death needed to be sexualised.

Considering she was probably sent there as a prostitute, not as a liaison, it makes sense that - even after what she saw him do before - she would be dressed for work. Her being tied up? Well, people do that. I don't see her death as sexualized as much as her being portrayed in character.

I definitely won't miss the character. Yes, they used her character to tie threads together, but as we have seen in other areas of the show that could be done with existing characters or with dialogue from one person covering over a character being absent.

self important book purists then: ros wasn't in the books, waaaaaaah. kill her! kill her!

self important book purists now: how dare they kill her in a way I don't approve!

Do you actually have any thoughts on the scene or was your entire point to make a highhanded statement about what other people are saying?

Jesus, if someone likes something or dislikes something because it is the same/different/adjusted/removed/never existed from the book perspective - let them. I think more posts have been made about what other people thought because of a book division than about the actual content of the show.

That's a huge jump of conjecture. The only thing I'm aware of supporting that theory even in the slightes is when Joffrey beat Tyrions whores instead of having sex with them.

Joffrey NOT wanting to have sex with prostitutes could easily be a lesson learned from him mother, who hated Roberts womanizing. Or from his grandfather, who clearly thinks whores are ignoble. Or it could simply have been a matter of Joffrey preferring to dominate Tyrion by abusing his 'gift' of whores, rather than be sucked in and owe anything to his uncle. Joffrey could easily be paranoid, whether of a gift from Tyrion or not, and simply not want to catch a disease. To be honest, NOT having sex with random whores is probably one of the smartest things that Joffrey has done in the show.

I would hope that people don't automatically assume that any time a man chooses not to have sex automatically means that he has to be gay or impotent. And on top of things, that man has to be murderously crazy because he's impotent. Reverse that situation and make Joffrey a woman, who's frigid and/or uninterested in sex, and therefore she wants to dominate and murder all the men around here and see how fair that assumption seems.

Of course. I was giving my take, not stating my opinion as fact. I could be way off. That's just how I read it.

I wasn't suggesting homosexuality or impotence or disinterest. Most men will get in a bed with a woman for gratification. He prefers violence.

Considering she was probably sent there as a prostitute, not as a liaison, it makes sense that - even after what she saw him do before - she would be dressed for work. Her being tied up? Well, people do that. I don't see her death as sexualized as much as her being portrayed in character.

This.

self important book purists then: ros wasn't in the books, waaaaaaah. kill her! kill her!

self important book purists now: how dare they kill her in a way I don't approve!

:lol: Pretty much.

That was ridiculous to begin with. A 25 yr old woman can't pretend she's 14.

Cough* Emilia Clarke Cough* Daenerys Targaryen

On topic.

I am not sad she is gone. I did expect her demise to be in the fallout from Sansa's escape. At least here she served a great purpose

1) Demonstrated that Joffrey is an even worse monster and threat as he gets older.

2) Demonstrated Baelish is a menace to be reckoned with

3) Demonstrated the force of Baelish's monologue about climbing the ladder and the fall.

4) Was a suitable surprise for all viewers. Perhaps it was the showrunners saying "GRRM kills characters once people start to like them, we can do it too"

As for 'sexualised'. She was doing he job and actually wearing far more than she usually did. Interesting that the claims of sexism and misogyny that have been bandied around about this scene have not been matched by similar claims about Arya shooting straw-Joffrey in the head, breast and balls. A clear indication of the hypocracy of the position's exponents.

----

I am sad for Esme Blanco. They finally started to give her character some potential worth this season, but after one job she gets the chop.

I noted at the very beginning that there were no nudity warnings, so I was pretty sure that Ros' death wasn't going to be crazy sexualized. I am sooooooo glad she is gone. Esme Bianco wasn't a bad actress (I think she's much better than Sibel Kikelli [shae], for example) and too bad she couldn't play a different role. I think she has a pretty good ASOIAF look to her. But the character was out of control. From lazy plot device to the only whore in Westeros to being Littlefinger's hand...also, D&D have said that Dontos is coming back, so it's not shocking, really.

She's gorgeous, isn't she (and a talented actress)? But she didn't really serve much of a purpose after S1 where she gave us some insight to Theon and Pycelle while managing to be eye candy. She just got too much screen time, I feel because of her looks. Like when they had Doreah live throughout S2, I feel it was because she was pretty. When they revealed that she can read, and is the whore who can do anything, I said it was time for her to go.

RIP, Ros. I'll never forget that scene of you walking around in just a belt (wow!), but I'm glad you're gone!

Lol, you know what, I'm not even gonna try to deny that, that's exactly how I feel. At least I'll admit it!

It's interesting how many people who HATED her are suddenly sad to see her gone...this is a lot like DeadWoman (don't want to post spoiler?) from The Walking Dead.

I wasn't happy about her death but I think people only took it to be a sign of how sadistic Joffrey is. But that wasn't why she died. Joff wanted to try something new for entertainment. It was Littlefinger that sent Ros - knowing what would happen. He did it to say to Varys that a) I'm playing the game better than you, b.) I know when I'm being betrayed, and c.) people who betray me will die.

Her manner of death was too much IMO. The fact that they're already showing us an extreme amount of torture to Theon - this is just an gratituous amount of violence.I understand its HBO and they can get away with it. I understand that GRRM had a lot in the books. But a lot of his was behind the scenes or telling us about it after the fact (like Theon's). When its in living color, HBO needs to tone it down a bit. From the cutting the nipple off the Unsullied guy to Ros' death - its overkill. And yay - we get more Theon torture next episode. I can't stand his character but I don't want to watch his torture. The characterizations of the non-tortured ones and their storylines are suffering because D&D are going for the shock factor. We get it Ramsey and Joffrey are evil and sadistic. We don't need to see so much.

Maybe it was stockholm syndrome but towards the end I was rather fond of Ros. I think after Talisa was introduced and Shae started to get really annoying she became a lot more tolerable. It was a great scene, but I kind of feel like switching to Dontos now will be a bit weird and messy.

Maybe it was stockholm syndrome but towards the end I was rather fond of Ros. I think after Talisa was introduced and Shae started to get really annoying she became a lot more tolerable. It was a great scene, but I kind of feel like switching to Dontos now will be a bit weird and messy.

I think the horror of Shae and Talisa made everyone else more likable..plus Ros had what, 1 minute of screentime this season?

Wait now D&D will have to find another whore in Westeros cine Ros pretty much was the only one in the show... All in all I'm glad to see her go, but I do feel bad for her and it does show the interesting aspect where whores are disposbal to most gameplayers!

I think the horror of Shae and Talisa made everyone else more likable..plus Ros had what, 1 minute of screentime this season?

I think in your screentime thread for last episode she had 1:50 time. Btw, I'd be really grateful if you could do that again.

Hahaha So true.

Wait now D&D will have to find another whore in Westeros cine Ros pretty much was the only one in the show... All in all I'm glad to see her go, but I do feel bad for her and it does show the interesting aspect where whores are disposbal to most gameplayers!

Maybe they'll use that girl who looks foreign but is really from flea bottom who feels sorry for bronn's nose and that they had Ros fisting in s1...

As long as they don't use that whore with the strange voice that Bronn was with in ep1... or the one who looks and sounds like she's 12. lol, *squeals* "Your Grace!"

Maybe they'll use that girl who looks foreign but is really from flea bottom who feels sorry for bronn's nose and that they had Ros fisting in s1...

As long as they don't use that whore with the strange voice that Bronn was with in ep1... or the one who looks and sounds like she's 12. lol, *squeals* "Your Grace!"

Or they got rid of Ros in this episode because they've realised they're at the point in the story were invented characters don't really have a place anymore unless they want to deviate completely from the books and thus won't be adding in another invented prostitute character. Not they ever should have had invented characters but we're moving towards the latter portions of the series surprisingly fast - in just a couple years time we could be seeing twow on-screen. Past season 3 Ros would have had less and less place in the series.

There's no time for real characters...Dany, Jon, Robb, they all appear in only every other episode....so yeah, definitely no room for fake ones!

Seriously. They really needed to start cutting the fat soon. There's still Ramsay's identity to reveal. They still have to get through the Dornish and Oberyn. Plus Tyrion is going to have his own set of characters for his story. Let's not even think of the clusterfuck that's about to happen with Dany. There just really isn't room for Ros anymore.

I wasn't happy about her death but I think people only took it to be a sign of how sadistic Joffrey is. But that wasn't why she died. Joff wanted to try something new for entertainment. It was Littlefinger that sent Ros - knowing what would happen. He did it to say to Varys that a) I'm playing the game better than you, b.) I know when I'm being betrayed, and c.) people who betray me will die.

Her manner of death was too much IMO. The fact that they're already showing us an extreme amount of torture to Theon - this is just an gratituous amount of violence.I understand its HBO and they can get away with it. I understand that GRRM had a lot in the books. But a lot of his was behind the scenes or telling us about it after the fact (like Theon's). When its in living color, HBO needs to tone it down a bit. From the cutting the nipple off the Unsullied guy to Ros' death - its overkill. And yay - we get more Theon torture next episode. I can't stand his character but I don't want to watch his torture. The characterizations of the non-tortured ones and their storylines are suffering because D&D are going for the shock factor. We get it Ramsey and Joffrey are evil and sadistic. We don't need to see so much.

How much more toned down could you make Ros's death? it was completely left out of the show. All we are shown is her bolt-ridden corpse. We didnt have to see her go through her execution shot by shot. Potentially she either begged for her life or cursed Joffrey in defiance as she was shot over and over. We didn't actually see anything at all. No suffering, no pain, no humiliation. Just the bottom line and we have to assume what happened in the bedroom. The only way it could have been more toned down is if we were just told that Ros was murdered, which would have been a lousy way to get rid of that character.

Archived