The Ghost of Winterfell is...

I'm ruling out Benjen because he's not a deserter. The Blackfish is unlikely because having escaped from Riverrun I don't see why he'd go somewhere where he'd be instantly killed if caught.

Harwin seems by far the most likely candidate.

I don't think it's Harwin, since he is almost definitely the northman Brienne meets with LSH in AFFC.

Another of the outlaws stepped forward, a younger man in a greasy sheepskin jerkin. In his hand was Oathkeeper. His voice was frosted with the accents of the north.

I don't think the timeframe would work for Harwin to make it to Winterfell this quickly.

Either Big Walder killed Little Walder or it was the other way 'round. The killer/survivor was plotting how to improve his chances of coming out on top in the succession to the Twins and the victim was above him in the order. The two young Walders had the whole succession order laid out and basically knew which moves would improve their chances. I'm assuming that the victim, being higher on the list saw no advantage in killing the other one, who was behind him, ignoring the fact that he could be a target himself.

Possibly. When the Walders are introduced in ACOK:

Big Walder: We're cousins, not brothers ... He's ahead of me in the line of succession even though I'm older.

Little Walder: Only by fifty-two days. And neither of us will ever hold the Twins, stupid.

Big Walder: I will.

Alternately, Big Walder may feel that Little Walder is becoming too dangerous. In ADWD:

Little Walder: You can see to my horse too, Reek. And to my little cousin's.

Big Walder: I can see to my own horse.

Theon thinks: Little Walder had become Lord Ramsay's best boy and grew more like him every day, but the smaller Frey was made of different stuff and seldom took part in his cousin's games and cruelties.

• 8 months later...

Theon must be "A Ghost in Winterfell" as per the chapter title. However, he may not be the only ghost. The Hooded Man that everyone seems so concerned about is Theon's conscience condemning him for having killed the miller's boys, who may have been his sons, and betraying the Ironborn garrison at Moat Cailin. The majority of the killings were perpetrated by Mance's spearwives, who were the other ghosts. The likeliest candidate for the killing of Little Walder was Big Walder. Here's how I think it went down. Roose Bolton wants to weaken his son Ramsay by killing Little Walder, the apparent newest "Bastard's Boy". Roose also wants to eliminate a rival claimant to Darry, so that his claim through his wife fat Walda will not be disputed. Roose convinces Big Walder to do it because Big Walder will move up in the line of succession, and it would be a "mercy" because Big Walder clearly is worried about the path Little Walder is headed down. Roose assures Big Walder that he would never be caught because the killing would be attributed to the ghosts. Roose may have even convinced Big Walder that he will get him the Twins, although I doubt he'll follow through with this promise. Roose, through Ramsay or someone else, has discovered that the Stark boys survived. He is eliminating people that know. Little Walder was part of the hunting party that failed to find Bran and Rickon. The evidence is BW's flimsy story, and the fact that he is covered in blood, while Hosteen, who carried LW's body, is not covered in blood. Theon would not have been able to overpower LW, who was described as very big and strong for his age, and Theon is practically a walking corpse. The spearwives denied it, and Manderly would never be so stupid, although he was stupid enough to insult the Freys in front of Hosteen...But that was only after he was accused of the murder. If Manderly wanted LW dead, no one would have found the body because it would have been in a pie or something.

I think the Ghost in Winterfell is Euron... who turns Theon into a murderous "night walker" under his control like the wight walkers are under the control of Nights King. Euron made him kill Yellow Dick by using a glass candle and being the "night walker" Xaro mentioned.

I can never tell for sure if you're serious.

I can never tell for sure if you're serious.

Read it. The quotes at the end are important.

I am serious.

This is a story with ice zombies, dragons, fire swords, floating castles that no one can find, undead kingsguards and trees that work for the NSA.

The Hooded Man asks Theon who killed the man, Theon said it wasn't me, it was the night walker. I just walk. (walkee vs walker). Only one other night walker reference to a man that fits Euron's profile completely.

Schizophernia symptoms include auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction

If he was schizophernic he would remeber killing those guys. I am sure OP meant split personality disorder.

The series will end with us finding out every character is a figment of Theon's imagination and he has been sitting at the dinner table with the Starks safe and well in Winterfell

But realy.. I agree he is to weak to do anything and him being referred to as Theon shouldn't be a clue. In fact wouldn't fewer people know him as Reek since Lord Bolton needed him present as Theon for all North to see, plus he is well known to everyone from his childhood.

Its Howland Reed

Has he ever met Theon? The scene implies they kinda knew each other and I don't recall Theon even mention the Reeds

Also I like to think it's what's his name .. The Frey that squared for Rob. But I also have a feeling he was killed by the Frey's already or went his own way from them already

AUTHOR’S NOTE: I beg for mercy in advance as some readers post flaming detractions that reduce my time-consuming efforts to a pile of dust. I anticipate my proposals will not be well-met by some readers and Martin scholars. But I am receptive to thoughtful criticisms with meaningful suggestions for improving my argument, my evidences, and my analytical commentary. Since this essay is a work in progress, I can improve upon my delivery with attentive polishing.

What follows are excerpts from my book entitled Deconstructing George R. R. Martin’s A Game of Thrones: A Collection of Close Readings Inspired by Passages from the “Prologue” and POVs in the First Novel of A Song of Ice and Fire Series.

I apologize “in advance” for the choppy transitions. I am summarizing the basic premises of an extensive essay with lots of cross-referencing among series’ novels to authentic and evidence assumptions about Bran in Winterfell:

Theon is one of many ghosts in Winterfell. Similarly, “The Prince of Winterfell” IS Bran, Theon, and Ramsay; just as “The Turncloak” IS Theon, Lady Dustin, and assorted northmen.

Here are but a few quotes establishing the identities of the ghosts in WF: those currently in residence at Winterfell are “ghosts” as well, trapped in a “strange underworld” and marked for death by the grey mists and fog.

He [Theon] was trapped here, with the ghosts. The old ghosts from the crypts, the younger ones that he had made himself . . . My work. My ghosts. They are all here, and they are angry. He thought of the crypts and those missing swords” (612).

“And for one strange moment it seemed as if it were Bran’s face carved into the pale trunk of the weirwood, staring down at him with eyes red and wise and sad. Bran’s ghost, he thought. . .” (616).

I have traced Bran’s presence in Theon’s POVs attributed to “Reek”, “The Prince of Winterfell”, “The Turncloak,” “A Ghost in Winterfell”, and “Theon”, all appearing AFTER Bran’s final POV not even half way through A Dance with Dragons.

Martin strongly insinuates that the greenseer Bran divinely inspires Reek to hasten his redemption, granting him mercy, blessing him with strength, infusing him with courage, and even promising him salvation. Bran’s powers have grown exponentially since his last POV, and he bends Theon to his will without needing to skinchange with him.

In Homer’s great epic The Odyssey, Odysseus is a long-suffering Greek hero whose ingenuity and polished speaking skills win him the affections of the goddess of war and peace Athena.

On occasion, Athena appears to Odysseus in the guise of another, but she mostly influences Odysseus from afar, divinely inspiring him with brilliant ideas and military stratagems. She hides and protects him in a mist, she sends him guidance through her father Zeus, Ino, and Hermes. She holds his tongue and calms his raging fury. She transforms his appearance with magic, at times making him taller, more muscular, with golden locks of hair like hyacinths. Or she may age his features and cripple his limbs so that no one will recognize him. She may be a bird, or she may be at Odysseus’ side disguised.

If readers think of Athena metaphorically, she is an invisible force whispering ideas in his ear.

Bran infiltrates Winterfell “in disguise” to spy on the enemies within just as Odysseus infiltrates his own Ithacan palace “in disguise” to spy on Penelope’s 108 suitors who are violating the sacred laws of hospitality by eating and drinking the best Odysseus has to offer, by courting his unwilling wife Penelope, and by plotting the murder of his own son Telemachus. But Athena guides Odysseus and inspires him to bide his time and be patient so that his vengeance is realized.

In a similar fashion, Bran divinely inspires Theon in his POVs set at Winterfell.

Theon is physically weak. Martin says, “Reek was loose, grey skin and brittle bones, a white-haired starveling” (ADwD 420). Moreover, when Roose Bolton presents Theon to Lady Dustin, she mistakes him for “this old man” (ADwD 433). Theon’s legs shake as he climbs the stairs to Barrowtown, and he must stop to rest.

Bran is the force that calls Theon to change.

Bran stimulates Theon’s appetite so that he is well-nourished and has consumed calories for energy to restore his muscle tone and make him strong. Theon must hoist Jeyne Poole over his shoulder and climb stairs with her weight on his back, a feat he accomplishes.

Theon walks the castle ramparts for hours day and night, and he monitors the intensity of the mounting snowfall, which makes travel on foot treacherous as an icy surface builds.

Theon’s daily and nightly walks serve to build his endurance, and balancing on icy surfaces helps with his agility. Theon’s feet take him on tours throughout Winterfell where he visits haunts familiar to Bran.

Bran’s aspirations of chivalry, honor, and knighthood are visited upon Theon who speaks softly to Jeyne, comforts her fears, and assures her that he will save her from Ramsay. Where once he snapped at Jeyne and had no patience for her forgetfulness, Theon transforms into a gentleman and adopts behaviors expected of a “true” knight – and with Bran’s influence, Theon has a few moments to rejoice in his heroic achievements before he and Jeyne are taken prisoner outside the walls of Winterfell.

****As an epic hero seeking redemption, Odysseus must journey to the Halls of Hades, or the Land of the Dead, where he seeks advice from the blind Theban prophet Tiresias before he can continue on his journey and learn how to thwart Poseidon’s wrath so that he can return to Ithaca and to his beloved wife Penelope. This visit to the Underworld and “surviving” the visit is a feat few mortals in ancient Greek mythology manage successfully. In this way, the warrior Odysseus symbolically dies to be reborn as Odysseus the king of Ithaca, husband of Penelope, father to his son, and son to his father Laertes.

Likewise, Reek’s symbolic journey to the Underworld is marked by his descent into the Winterfell crypts where he confesses in the presence of Bran and rows of stone judges and their direwolves that his betrayal of the Starks was the result of his deep-seated desire to be one of them.

It is after Theon unburdens his soul that Bran appears to him in the face of the heart tree, and through the wood, Bran says the name “Theon”; hence, Bran symbolically restores the workable broken pieces of Theon poisoned by Reek and Ramsay.

****However, there is more afoot. When the protective, frozen seal safeguarding the Stark dead is pulled open by Dustin’s serjeant, the hinges scream in protest, an ominous, ghostly sound of disapproval. Breaking open this doorway allows an exit point for those stone Starks who are missing a sword across their laps.

Lady Dustin vocalizing her plans to confiscate the bones of Lord Eddard Stark on their journey to Winterfell for entombment is ill-advised when surrounded by dead Starks already posed and at the ready to expel unwanted guests. Theon wins Bran’s forgiveness, but Lady Dustin and the others are marked for death and doomed to join the other ghosts imprisoned within the walls of Winterfell.

Thus, Bran orchestrates a series of events to confuse and torment the unwelcome guests.

And it is Bran who instigates the death of the annoying Walder who made fun of Hodor, who trespassed into the crypts with Rickon, and who taunted Bran during the game Lord of the Crossing. Bran and Winterfell “remember”.

Advice, guidance, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I don't think it manderly, because its too much of a risk. He doesn't have Rickon yet. So he would ride with the current situation.

Its not Theon.... As he does not have the physical strength. And the risk is too great.

I don't think its the spear wives either as that's a risk of blowing thier cover.

I think there's litterally vengful spirits at winterfell. Maybe the people who were killed ther, OR When Bran and co left they released the spirits from the crypts below winterfell which are said to hold them.

I don't think it manderly, because its too much of a risk. He doesn't have Rickon yet. So he would ride with the current situation.

Its not Theon.... As he does not have the physical strength. And the risk is too great.

I don't think its the spear wives either as that's a risk of blowing thier cover.

I think there's litterally vengful spirits at winterfell. Maybe the people who were killed ther, OR When Bran and co left they released the spirits from the crypts below winterfell which are said to hold them.

You do know that the spearwives tacitly admit to murdering all but Little Walder, right?

The Ghost of Winterfell is..............BENJEN STARK.

He has returned after learning some horrible news from the Land of Always Winter. It makes a lot of sense in terms of his physical journey.

He couldn't risk going straight towards the wall since the Others and thousands of Wildlings were headed there. He likely took a boat from the Frozen Shore to the mountains beside Deepwood Motte. He likely traveled straight for Winterfell since its not far. Keep in mind, he'd still think Ned was alive and wouldn't know anything about the war. He'd think Catelyn and Robb are there ruling in Ned's absence.

He might have gotten there at several points. He could have witnessed the Boltons massacre the northern forces or just generally saw their banners raised so he investigated in the shadows. He obviously knows Winterfell's secrets having grown up there, he knows Theon (why he knew his name when they passed by), is perfectly capable of the acts of killing, and is doing so because he got updates on events from people talking inside the castle or Lord Manderly himself.

Thanks for sharing that evita mgfs! wow!

I also, thought Asha was kinda either influenced or controlled by Bran. Just the way she talks about the Heart tree and the old gods. And why suggest that? And also the crows saying Theon. (Sample Chapter)

You do know that the spearwives tacitly admit to murdering all but Little Walder, right?

I thought they didn't. All Teets and connies. I thought they playfully denied it. Maybe I misread it. Lemme check that chapter.

I think there are many Ghosts in Winterfell...Theon among them. Theon sees ghosts everywhere he turns and he even admits it to himself that he's a ghost. That does not mean the Hooded Man is THE Ghost...I've never seen this theory posted anywhere, so point me to the thread if it has been discussed...but what if the Hooded Man is just on his way to another scene in the story and has nothing more ghostly to do, other than give Theon more ghosts to ponder.

I can see it being one of the Winterfell retainers...Harwin or Hallis Mollen, maybe Robett Glover (but unlikely) and they are simply walking by as Theon is contemplating his ghosts. The conversation sounds like something Benjen would say, but I don't think it is him. Whoever it is, knows Theon well and knows what he's done.

Yes, whoever it is surprises Theon...Theon I think, assumes they are dead, so has no problems showing his maimed hand....so yes, they are one of the ghosts...but Theon is THE Ghost.

Hooded man is a misnomer.

Farther on, he came upon a man striding in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak flapping behind him. When they found themselves face-to-face their eyes met briefly. The man put his hand on his dagger. "Theon Turncloak. Theoon Kinslayer." ADWD p611-612 hb

The man knew Theon, but Theon did not seem to recognize the man.

Archived