The Ghost of Winterfell is...

:

This "hooded man" isn't some spectre that Theon couldn't identify. It was just another man who knew who Theon was. Theon looked him in the face and simply didn't know who he was.

I just went to the chapter where Theon and the hooded man met, all it said was that their eyes met, not whether he recognized the man or not. GRRM doesn't tell us everything the characters are thinking sadly =/. The hooded man could be any man except Ramsay.

Also the thought that it was Roose who made Ramsay kill Little Walder gives me the chills.

GRRM loves sprinkling his story with mental/physical phenomena that we know about but Westerosis don't, a la the Drowned God ressurecting those who have 'drowned'. I think it would be very like him to have a character develop a mental condition that Westerosis wouldn't understand after going through a traumatic period. Also, I've not read all of this thread, but from what I have read it doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned the fact that one of the people who dies in Winterfell has his dick chopped off and shoved in his mouth (don't think I need to say why that is potentially important). Had not considered the fact that Theon was the hooded man before I read this thread but do think its true now. Stroke of genius from OP in my opinion.

They did not kill Little Walder, that murder was done by Big Walder to further his own claims to the Frey seat.

I think there has to be more to it than this. Big Walder was the "nice one". Little Walder was turning into Ramsay Jr. I agree that Big Walder probably killed him, but I don't think it was motivated simply by wanting to get him out of the line of succession.

Howland Reed, Theon, Benjen Stark, Robett Glover (which could lead to other possibilities), a person possessed by the spirit of a pissed off dead king of the North or Lord of the North (really reaching there). Ramsay himself, a Frey. There are quite a few possibilties. If it is Robbett Glover, than he and Manderly are probably coordinating the arrival of a second host from White harbor including Davos and maybe Rickon, Shaggy and Osha.

Howland Reed, Theon, Benjen Stark, Robett Glover (which could lead to other possibilities), a person possessed by the spirit of a pissed off dead king of the North or Lord of the North (really reaching there). Ramsay himself, a Frey. There are quite a few possibilties. If it is Robbett Glover, than he and Manderly are probably coordinating the arrival of a second host from White harbor including Davos and maybe Rickon, Shaggy and Osha.

haha you didn't read the OP did you

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned this yet? A year or two ago, someone brought this up in a thread that discussed the murders in Winterfell in that chapter.

ADwD, A Prince in Winterfell:

As the garrison broke it's fast on stale bread fried in bacon grease (the lords and knights ate the bacon), the talk along the benches was of little but the corpse.

"Stannis has friends inside the castle." Theon heard one sergeant mutter. He was an old Tallhart man, three trees sewn on his ragged surcoat. The watch had just changed. Men were coming in from the cold, stomping their feet to knock the snow off their boots and breeches as the midday meal was served-blood sausage, leeks, and brown bread still warm from the oven.

There seems to be a continuity between the first sentence and the rest of the passage. Also, why only say that everyone was gossiping about the corpse when they were breaking their fast (which I'm assuming takes place in the morning) rather than observing something as simple as 'people were talking about the corpse all day' if Reek notes that others were still speaking of it later at the mid-day meal? Is it possible that Reek blacked out for a couple of hours? What do y'all think?

• 3 months later...

I don't think Theon is schizophrenic, but I do think there's a strong case for him to have a pernicious anaemia as a result of a lack of Vitamin B12 (I studied Food and Nutrition), as the symptoms for that include:

- pale skin

- depression

- thinning and early greying of hair

- memory changes

- mild cognitive impairment

- hallucinations and psychosis

When I first started reading this post, I was going to disagree, but now that I've examined the symptoms for B12 deficiency, I believe that he may have hallucinated the Ghost in Winterfell.

I don't think Theon is schizophrenic, but I do think there's a strong case for him to have a pernicious anaemia as a result of a lack of Vitamin B12 (I studied Food and Nutrition), as the symptoms for that include:

- pale skin

- depression

- memory changes

When I first started reading this post, I was going to disagree, but now that I've examined the symptoms for B12 deficiency, I believe that he may have hallucinated the Ghost in Winterfell.

A mad man sees what he sees.

Has anyone mentioned this yet? A year or two ago, someone brought this up in a thread that discussed the murders in Winterfell in that chapter.

ADwD, A Prince in Winterfell:

There seems to be a continuity between the first sentence and the rest of the passage. Also, why only say that everyone was gossiping about the corpse when they were breaking their fast (which I'm assuming takes place in the morning) rather than observing something as simple as 'people were talking about the corpse all day' if Reek notes that others were still speaking of it later at the mid-day meal? Is it possible that Reek blacked out for a couple of hours? What do y'all think?

Hey, this is very interesting, and I didn't see it mentioned before - it does seem a time jump, so I guess either Theon blacked out or absolutely nothing interesting happened during that time and Theon just stood there, which is weird.

- pale skin

- depression

- memory changes

I'm not a total medical expert, so I got Theon's condition wrong, but I think he hallucinated the whole thing, and it could possibly be his old side (Theon Greyjoy) trying to break through the Reek image.

I'm not saying it's him but what about bran. With Bran's warging ability and all. It coincides with the title, "The ghost in winterfell". Bran Is believed dead (ghost). Also ghosts aren't physical so you could call Bran a ghost by being spiritually there ie. Warging into someone.

PS. I know someone's going to debunk this, If this person is you, be gentle. I've hardly had any sleep.

Dude I firmly believe ANYTHING is possible in this story!

Hey, this is very interesting, and I didn't see it mentioned before - it does seem a time jump, so I guess either Theon blacked out or absolutely nothing interesting happened during that time and Theon just stood there, which is weird.

It doesn't really.This is a common misconception.What's happening is that Theon is noting comments various characters make about the killings.The comments are noteworthy,not the times especially.

Besides in a garrison situation,breakfast is followed directly by the midday meal.

It doesn't really.This is a common misconception.What's happening is that Theon is noting comments various characters make about the killings.The comments are noteworthy,not the times especially.

Besides in a garrison situation,breakfast is followed directly by the midday meal.

Sure, I understand that but the narrative style is odd. As you said, Theon is noting comments almost like a "log", which is unusual even for a crazed-Theon...

I don't see what is so strange about this. People who slept overnight might still be breaking their fast, but when the watch changes, the men coming off duty need something more substantial than stale bread fried in grease.

The serving of main meals would surely be co-ordinated with the changing of the watch , while with 5,000 (?) people inside the castle , not all on the same schedule and with different duties, there would still have to be some flexibility..

Meanwhile what does Theon have to do ? He sees to "Arya's" bath , sits in the hall , goes on his walks and sleeps if he can..Even if he's sitting there for a couple of hours ( and we don't know this is the case) with just the same old , same old going on before the next thing of interest happens , I can totally understand the time drifting ...for anyone.

ETA: No character gives us a continual running commentary in their POV..

• 1 month later...

Theon is a broken man and Reek is too scared to do something like that, both his personalities are unable to be the Ghost of Winterfell

Theon himself admits he (as reek) can do it:

"Foolish woman. He might well be a broken thing, but Theon still wore a dagger. It would have

been a simple thing to slide it out and drive it down between her shoulder blades. That much he was still

capable of, missing teeth and broken teeth and all. It might even be a kindness—a quicker, cleaner end

than the one she and her sisters would face when Ramsay caught them.

Reek might have done it. Would have done it, in hopes it might please Lord Ramsay. These

whores meant to steal Ramsay’s bride; Reek could not allow that. But the old gods had known him, had

called him Theon. Ironborn, I was ironborn, Balon Greyjoy’s son and rightful heir to Pyke. The stumps of

his fingers itched and twitched, but he kept his dagger in its sheath."

Archived