The "Noob" Reaction

I cannot fathom this hostility towards newcomers this board seems to have, even if it is in jest. Isn't this akin to bullying? Must my kin undergoe this ritual of getting "broken in " every generation?? Why not give peace a chance?

Life is not a Song, little Bird

Well Id imagine alot of the irritation comes from the fact that the newcomers tend to create threads that there already are a thousand of already. There is a search function for a reason.

Apart from that I've not encountered any hostilities towards newcomers here. Someone with more experience might have though.

If your posts are informative, interesting or funny, no-one gives a crap about how long you've been here. If they're not, and we have no evidence to show that you CAN be informative, interesting or funny, then of course you'll get less benefit of the doubt than a person who's shown elsewhere that their opinions are worth reading. How should it be otherwise?

I cannot fathom this hostility towards newcomers this board seems to have, even if it is in jest. Isn't this akin to bullying? Must my kin undergoe this ritual of getting "broken in " every generation?? Why not give peace a chance?

There is certainly hostility to new posters who come in expressing sexist or homophobic views. Libertarians joining the US politics thread are also often the subject of derision. I don't think theres a genuine hostility towards new comers who don't express opinions either ridiculous to the people expressing the "hostile" opinion or offensive opinions.

There are plenty of well regarded members of the board who are newer.

Perhaps you just mean the joking about the fl00b? Elder Sister for example is an honoured member of the fl00b!

Hahaha, karaddin and I seem to be performing intercontinental groupthink today :D

I don't know whether to be scared or just sit back and wait for our new overlords to tell us what to do :D

N

If your posts are informative, interesting or funny, no-one gives a crap about how long you've been here. If they're not, and we have no evidence to show that you CAN be informative, interesting or funny, then of course you'll get less benefit of the doubt than a person who's shown elsewhere that their opinions are worth reading. How should it be otherwise?

Yeah this. Westeros is incredibly welcoming to newbies compared to the rest of the Internet, but if you shitpost nonstop we're gonna tell you so.

Ah ok.. I had been lurking for some time and one of my friends who is also a big fan warned me that u guys keep making fun of noobs when i asked him about asoiaf forums,but it's been moderate so far.

Also please drop the floob word.. which loser made that up anyway?

Why? What's wrong with floob? I'm one of the previous floobs and it doesn't bother me.

As for being insulted, that only generally happen to people who aren't polite in their arguments, or who post about things they clearly know nothing about (see The Real Achilles)

Archived