Ser Axell Florent's vision. Means anything?

JaegrM

"The Lady Melisandre tells us that sometimes R'hllor permits his faithful servants to glimpse the future in flames. It seemed to me as I watched the fire this morning that I was watching a dozen beautiful dancers, maidens garbed in yellow silk, spinning and swirling before a great king. I think it was a true vision, Ser."

Ser Axell says the above to Davos after the burning of the seven at Dragonstone.

I noticed it a few re-reads ago, and I've always wondered if this was a TRUE vision?

Foreshadowing?

For all I know it foreshadows something that's already occurred and I'm too dull to have picked up on it?

Is this just a guy spouting that he saw something in the flames to gain favor from Mel, Selyse and Stannis? Especially given the obvious way it could be taken to flatter Stannis?

I guess the reason I actually think it could be some kind of foreshadowing for future events is because he says "Before a great king" Not "The king"

That's generally the impression I got.

I'm just kind of hung up on the whole "A King" not "The King"

And Also Davos even says/thinks something about how that king doesn't sound like Stannis because Stannis doesn't go for the whole dancing thing.

Yes. (is just trying to fit in with the weird fire cult & curry favor).

This popular kid in the 10th grade was told to start bringing a yo-yo to school as if he'd found true happiness with it. Within a couple few days.... yo-yo madness had swept through the campus.

Ah, the yo-yo's... 5th grade, like in '99 or 2000, it was an absolute craze at my middle school. I thought it was beyond dumb, though, haha.

He might have seen Hizdar when the Yunkish arrived in Maereen to make peace, at the feast, there might have been other dancers than the naked ones, however he completely failed to see Dany in his vision, still i am leaning towards yo yo madness

Ah, the yo-yo's... 5th grade, like in '99 or 2000, it was an absolute craze at my middle school. I thought it was beyond dumb, though, haha.

The Yo-yo craze happened in my area when I was in 7th-ish grade, I definitely fell victim to it myself :/

I had no idea the fad was so widespread at the time, I thought it was just my class that had become yo-yo masters

He might have seen Hizdar when the Yunkish arrived in Maereen to make peace, at the feast, there might have been other dancers than the naked ones, however he completely failed to see Dany in his vision, still i am leaning towards yo yo madness

The naked dancers were the closest thing I could think of myself. but yellow silks vs oiled bronze skin shining in torchlight is kind of a stretch imo, and king vs. queen is also an issue

From Duckfield

The moon was rising behind one mountain and sun sinking behind another as Jon struck sparks from flint and dagger, until finally a wisp of smoke appeared. Qhorin came and stood over him as the first flame rose up flickering from the shavings of bark and dead dry, pine needles. "As shy as a maid on her wedding night," the big ranger said in a soft voice, "and near as fair. Sometimes a man forgets how pretty a fire can be."

Jon went to cut more branches, snapping each one in two before tossing it into the fire. The tree had been dead a long time, but it seemed to live again in the fire, as fiery dancers woke within each stick of wood to whirl and spin in their glowing gowns of yellow, red and orange.

"Enough," Qhorin said abruptly. "Now we ride."

• 1 month later...

In 7th grade all these girls started wearing pacifiers on a string as a necklace. I don't know if this was a thing in pop culture in 1992 or if it was just a weird fad at my school. Either way I didn't the appeal. Anyway, Axell was probably just trying to win Stannis' favor and throw Davos under the bus. Axell is an attempted BFF stealer!

From Duckfield

The moon was rising behind one mountain and sun sinking behind another as Jon struck sparks from flint and dagger, until finally a wisp of smoke appeared. Qhorin came and stood over him as the first flame rose up flickering from the shavings of bark and dead dry, pine needles. "As shy as a maid on her wedding night," the big ranger said in a soft voice, "and near as fair. Sometimes a man forgets how pretty a fire can be."

Jon went to cut more branches, snapping each one in two before tossing it into the fire. The tree had been dead a long time, but it seemed to live again in the fire, as fiery dancers woke within each stick of wood to whirl and spin in their glowing gowns of yellow, red and orange.

Wow. Really. Thought about this passage a week or so ago during my current Westeros.com influenced re- read of the series. Then I see this nugget^ and I'm blown away again by the insight by some readers.

I think Melisandre started something that she can no longer control. Now any pyromaniac can come to court and detail a sexual fantasy he had, or a fever dream he had, and everyone has to listen and nod politely.

I don't know if any of you have ever listened to someone describe a dream they had but 99% of the time it's stupid and boring and it rarely has any discernible meaning.

From Duckfield

Perhaps, it is forshadowing Jon sparking a new dawn during spring after the death and trouble of a hard winter. With the fire, R'hllor comes to mind, but there is some reference to the Old Gods as well; a long dead tree, perhaps a weirwood, is coming to life again.

From Duckfield

So in other words, you think Axell's vision may be interpreted as Jon becoming a king?

Maybe it means a king will burn. Hmm idk, but it is interesting to think about, and if it will come to be true or not.

I think Melisandre started something that she can no longer control. Now any pyromaniac can come to court and detail a sexual fantasy he had, or a fever dream he had, and everyone has to listen and nod politely.

I don't know if any of you have ever listened to someone describe a dream they had but 99% of the time it's stupid and boring and it rarely has any discernible meaning.

I can imagine Aerys writing fire fanfiction for Mel. Ew.

Archived