Ice Dragon?

Daniel Snow

Would an ice dragon breath icy water, snow, sleet, freezing rain? Compare this to the Fantastic Four? Human Torch and some Ice villain he faced. Thought the fire still won?

Would obsidian tipped arrows kill the Ice Dragon? If so it would be pretty easy.

I think the Ice Dragon's breath could best be described as a stream of freezing rain. It would cancel out fire-breath- the fire would melt the ice and the water would douse the flames.

Good question about the obsidian arrows- Ice Dragons presumably work from Ice Magic just like the Others, so it might work. OTOH, as you say, it makes defeating them easy- maybe too easy.

Wouldn't Jon being the Ice Dragon continue is very symbolic Ice nature once again skipping fire. An Ice dragon is just that, it's Ice, it's not symbolic of fire just because of the name dragon, it's not a union, it's ice, it's the cold, it's the north.

If Jon is the Ice dragon does that mean a girl is going to ride him like in the book?

I think the intresting thing about the Ice Dragon novel is that the dragons destroy each other and Adara is no longer a sentient Wight but normal.

If it's relavant to ASOIAF, then don't we need a sentient Wight as a primary character? If Jon is an Ice Dragon does that make Bloodraven a water Dragon? And since he is in the north the water has frozen and now he is also an ice dragon. And if Jon is the union of Ice and fire as a Dragon he is actually a Water Dragon. So Jon is a Tully. The symbolism isn't all that great for any of this.

"The wind was blowing from the east along the wall, cold as the breath of the ice dragons in the tales old Nan used to tell." The Others are suppose to be coming from Eastwatch, more foreshadowinig? And in that statment it would associate Ice Dragons with them, not Jon. Perhaps it's just a metephore for the cold that the Others generate. The ice breath of the Ice dragon, really cold wind. It's been said the Others generate such a cold that fires die. Seems to me that it might apply to being a metephore for the others, "Shadows with teeth, the white mists, some nights are fires just seemed to shrivel up and die." Seems to me the Wights Masters are the breath of the Ice dragon.

"The wind was blowing from the east along the wall, cold as the breath of the ice dragons in the tales old Nan used to tell." The Others are suppose to be coming from Eastwatch, more foreshadowinig? And in that statment it would associate Ice Dragons with them, not Jon. Perhaps it's just a metephore for the cold that the Others generate. The ice breath of the Ice dragon, really cold wind. It's been said the Others generate such a cold that fires die. Seems to me that it might apply to being a metephore for the others, "Shadows with teeth, the white mists, some nights are fires just seemed to shrivel up and die." Seems to me the Wights Masters are the breath of the Ice dragon.

I like this idea.

If Jon is the Ice dragon does that mean a girl is going to ride him like in the book?

Yeah, Dany will :cool4:. I'm sure that Jon is metaphorically an ice dragon, but I'm not sure if a live, real ice dragon will make an appearance.That said, as someone else pointed out, if the fire dragons (Dany's) just sweep in and melt the white walkers then that's anti-climactic. I'd imagine there would would need to be a battle on the ground and in the air (Jon and an army) and (Drogon, Viserion, Rhaegal?)

You know when you look at the story of the Ics Dragon and the Story of the Night's king, you get to wondering something, at least I do. The Night's Queen and Adara, both sentient Ice women with no signs of being Wights. Female Others. Yet where are the female Others? Adara and the Ice dragon could be a metaphor for a queen or Princes of the Others. And the Night's Queen seemed rather imposing and was in fact a sort of Queen. At Crasters he only sacrifices his sons to the others.

So where are the women or should I say where is the woman? Do they create her is she like a queen bee only one exists at a time? Is it going to be Dany? "Drink from the cup of fire, drink from the cup of ice." And would this woman be after Bran or Jon? Or does she not exist yet? Could this be Vals future? Often referred to as a princess and the one looking out over Crasters son. The same sons that are usually taken by the Others, a boy they may want back for whatever purpose they use them for. Whatever it is I would like to see if we find out more about the female Other or Others. Just my gut telling me one will be showing up and have a big part to play one way or the other.

Ice dragon seems to be a metaphorical term rather than a literal one.

Probably Jon Snow as many believe. Or probably something else all together.

But I highly doubt it's a dragon-wight. That'd be really scary. And preposterous, in my opinion.

Ice dragon seems to be a metaphorical term rather than a literal one.

Probably Jon Snow as many believe. Or probably something else all together.

But I highly doubt it's a dragon-wight. That'd be really scary. And preposterous, in my opinion.

We are in a world where dragons are alive, prophecies come true and people are brought back to life, yet this is preposturous?

We are in a world where dragons are alive, prophecies come true and people are brought back to life, yet this is preposturous?

Why can't we be satisfied with the dragons we already have - aren't they enough for us? Valyria was an empire built on dragons and the Targs brought them across the sea. Nowhere is there any historical memory of any ice dragons. Specifically dragons are the embodiment of fire so an ice dragon does seem preposterous. Particularly if it were dropped in out of the blue in book 6 of 7 in deus ex machine fashion. In contrast The Others and dragons have been with us since Book 1. Also, GRRM may have written a book years ago with an ice dragon but it would seem really cheap to me to rehash an earlier story in his monumental epic masterpiece. Wight dragons? Ice dragons? Nah, just the name of a constellation with a blue star for the eye. Mature Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion? Yes, get ready for some air time.

Why can't we be satisfied with the dragons we already have - aren't they enough for us? Valyria was an empire built on dragons and the Targs brought them across the sea. Nowhere is there any historical memory of any ice dragons. Specifically dragons are the embodiment of fire so an ice dragon does seem preposterous. Particularly if it were dropped in out of the blue in book 6 of 7 in deus ex machine fashion. In contrast The Others and dragons have been with us since Book 1. Also, GRRM may have written a book years ago with an ice dragon but it would seem really cheap to me to rehash an earlier story in his monumental epic masterpiece. Wight dragons? Ice dragons? Nah, just the name of a constellation with a blue star for the eye. Mature Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion? Yes, get ready for some air time.

I'm just worried that the others will be defeated to easily by dragons. they have to be able to go against them somehow

In my opinion, yes.

This is limited, low fantasy. There are only few things which can happen. We can't expect a maester to chant spells and be capable of doing anything. Or expect a group of people to go hunting on the backs of griffins. After five books, we have a good idea of what things are possible and what aren't, and ice dragons seem a real stretch in my opinion. Because then we'd have, I dunno, say thunder dragons and earth dragons and water dragons and stuff.

• 1 month later...

i dunno i wouldn't discount the whole Ice Dragon book at all, i've read somewhere before that it takes place in Westeros thousands of years in the past. There's talk of a "stone dragon" whatever that might be, and rumors of a leviathan near the Iron Islands....could just be that the Storm god, Drowned God, Old Gods, and R'hllor all have their own mythical creatures for whenever the world goes to war....kinda crackpot, but as we know pretty much anything can happen

i dunno i wouldn't discount the whole Ice Dragon book at all, i've read somewhere before that it takes place in Westeros thousands of years in the past. There's talk of a "stone dragon" whatever that might be, and rumors of a leviathan near the Iron Islands....could just be that the Storm god, Drowned God, Old Gods, and R'hllor all have their own mythical creatures for whenever the world goes to war....kinda crackpot, but as we know pretty much anything can happen

Yea GRRM said all of OLD Nan's stories are true so i am assuming there will be an ice dragon

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't put it past GRRM to have other Mythical beasts show up... the warlocks in the house of undying seem to draw magical powers from the presence of Dragons... I think it would have a uniting affect on the human population of Westeros and perhaps this is why the Maestors want a world without magic

Archived