What will happen in Jon's first few POVs?

Maybe we'll neither see Jon die nor heal, and live on.

The Children of the Forest say Bloodraven lingered way beyond his time, waiting for the next greenseer. Bloodraven has no POV chapters, but I think he is different from the other (un)dead characters - it was his own choice to stay. Could Jon make a similar decision? Would that count as alive or dead?

I don't believe in this theory that Jon will come out of the fire alive ala Daenerys. That one time magical event is a one time only, GRRM said so. If that thing happens again, then some will use it as another proof that Targaryens are immune to fire.

Many Jon Snow fans believe he is the hero, he will become a king, and he is the song of ice and fire. But after reading GRRMs interview why he killed Ned and Robb, I should start predicting that he might do the opposite.

Dany coming out of the fire was a one time event brought on by and the result of spells, blood magic, shadow binding or whatever magic allowed it.....I am not saying she could walking into a burning building, hang out then just come out all fine and unscathed....but can anyone argue that she was uburnt because of magic???

Whether by fire or ice....how many times has it been mentioned and shown that the wall is a magical place...it was built with magic supposedly, stuff happens their that happens nowhere else...there is a god damned talking tree beneath the Night's Fort....and how many "tales" are their of the Night's Watch over the years? Beyond the Wall was also one of, if not the last refuges for the green men?

What I am saying, is Dany was saved by magic when in the fire.

The Wall is steeped in magic, beyond the wall is steeped in magic it seems for that matter...

Plus the whole fire God bringing Beric, then Cat back to life.....so now at the wall, in a place of magic there is a powerful priestess of the Red god, the Wall in itself is magic, the old Gods seem to be present if not powerful in the North and with the whole magic coming back to the world (whether caused by the birth of the dragons, or something else brought magic back causing the birth of the dragons) magic is showing up more and more....the blue lipped warlocks have been more powerful since the birth of the dragons, the glass candle lit up after centuries--which was enough to send Marwin hauling ass for Essos, Victorian has a freaking new hand made of god knows what...(maybe Jaimie can get one?) anyway

The point is magic is making a come back, if Jon isn't merely wounded...he is at the Wall, a place of magic, along with a powerful priestess of the red god...two other priests of the red god 1) brought Beric back to freaking life how many times? 2) Lady Stoneheart... 3) Victorian's new hand anyone???

Jon has magic of Ice (the Wall/North..) and magic of Fire present with with him..plus Jon is a Warg, (which seems to me to be magic) It seems strange that he would just happen to be stabbed at the wall with all that there.

I'll take that bet. I knew Ned was dead, I knew Robb was dead, I knew Catlyn was dead, I knew Bran wasn't, I knew Arya wasn't, I knew Sandor wasn't, I knew Theon wasn't. I have no fucking clue whether or not Jon is dead now, or seriously injured, but he will be alive at some point. Whether or not he has POV's when he wakes up, I am not sure because he may become a male claimer to the Iron Thrown and we don't get their POV's, but why is Ghost POV so unreasonable when we have gotten large segments of chapters in wolves before.

Lets put a 6-pack of our favorite brew on the line... a Ghost POV is not entirely unreasonable, but a Jon POV it is not, to be clear (for the terms of our wager). Also Jon transferring his consciousness to another body and we get that POV I would call a draw. I hope Jon is just wounded, but it fits too well with GRRM's style for him to not to be dead.

The problem is, the act of killing logical heroes in succession in order to defy convention itself might become repetitive within the series. I doubt that GRRM will work his way through every possible "hero potential" character to end up with Hot Pie presiding over a pile of bodies sitting on the Iron Throne with Lightbringer across his knees. In retrospect Ned and Robb's character arcs were complete at the time they were killed off. But that just doesn't seem to be the case with Jon. It just feels unfinished.

I do believe Jon will survive his assassination attempt. How? I do want to know (but I hope no UnJon). Yep, I agree his story is not yet finished and his "death" is just, you know, GRRM way of saying everyone is not safe and characters' destiny can't protect them from threats ahead. Ned's future is doomed when he lost the game of thrones, and Robb's death makes sense because of the hints presented in the texts. Jon, on the other hand, has to kill the boy so the man can be born. And oh, he got that dream that he's holding a fiery sword fighting the Others. Those foreshadowings won't make sense if he died just for GRRM to disappoint the fans. Well, that incident was planned to happen for many years, there are foreshadowings that something bad is comin' too, and the official WOIAF App even confirmed that Jon died in Castle Black (what the heck, right?). So even if I believe he ain't dead, can't help to ask the question, "What if? What if? What if?" For now, we can only hope that Jon is alive and argue that he could be not until the next book comes out.

Of course. That was my point precisely. The subject of the thread was regarding Jon's POV's specifically, and I felt the need to point out that, ya know, he's dead. The next big shocking moment in aSoIaF is going to be that... yep, he's really dead. I don't know why this should surprise anybody, as we had no major deaths for almost 2 whole books, but yet everyone seems to assume Jon will be saved/resurrected.

I'm totally with you here. If Jon comes back, I will be really annoyed. The only way this could possibly work for me would be if he comes back as a wight for insight to the Others and the Lands of Always Winter. But all of the other options are just stupid:

First of all, this ridiculous thing with him not being dead yet, and just requiring a good healer... I personally consider: 'he never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold...' to be as much an indicator of death as 'and then the steel was at her throat, and it's bite was red and cold.' I really don't get people who think his fate was a cliffhanger; e.g. he didn't die, just got attacked.

The second popular idea is that he gets resurrected. I will seriously be really annoyed if this happens. Way too many people have been resurrected character. Ever since UnCat, the new thing seems to be that if somebody important dies, they're fine as long as their somewhere near a Red Priest, and I feel like it's really detracting from the drama of ASOIAF.

And finally, the theory that he will return as Ghost. I wouldn't mind this too much, as it is foreshadowed by the prologue to ADWD, but it would still feel like a bit of a cop out; in fact, any outcome that didn't result in Jon's death would.

Right now, I don't know what happened to Jon, but the only thing which could fully satisfy me right now is if he's dead. The one thing I am sure of though; whether or not he's dead or alive, he won't return in the same state.

Dany coming out of the fire was a one time event brought on by and the result of spells, blood magic, shadow binding or whatever magic allowed it.....I am not saying she could walking into a burning building, hang out then just come out all fine and unscathed....but can anyone argue that she was uburnt because of magic???

In Daznak's Pit, Dany was bathed in Drogon's fire and once again came out alive.

She was unburnt the first time coz of magic, but got burns after the Daznak's Pit. Targaryens are not immune to fire, but “they can tolerate a bit more heat than most ordinary people”, according to the author. Extreme heat though, don’t think so - Viserys and that Targaryen who drank wildfire (I can't recall the name) died of it. 

Whether by fire or ice....how many times has it been mentioned and shown that the wall is a magical place...it was built with magic supposedly, stuff happens their that happens nowhere else...there is a god damned talking tree beneath the Night's Fort....and how many "tales" are their of the Night's Watch over the years? Beyond the Wall was also one of, if not the last refuges for the green men?

The Wall is built using magic spells, no doubt, and was made to keep the Others from passing it (except the Night’s King’s Queen who stayed in the Nightfort for thirteen years).

True. And she needs magic to save her again if she will do it the second time. If not, she will get more than burns.

The Wall is steeped in magic, beyond the wall is steeped in magic it seems for that matter...

I agree. And beyond the Wall is a fantasyland with magical creatures not seen for a long time.

Plus the whole fire God bringing Beric, then Cat back to life.....so now at the wall, in a place of magic there is a powerful priestess of the Red god, the Wall in itself is magic, the old Gods seem to be present if not powerful in the North and with the whole magic coming back to the world (whether caused by the birth of the dragons, or something else brought magic back causing the birth of the dragons) magic is showing up more and more....the blue lipped warlocks have been more powerful since the birth of the dragons, the glass candle lit up after centuries--which was enough to send Marwin hauling ass for Essos, Victorian has a freaking new hand made of god knows what...(maybe Jaimie can get one?) anyway

The Red God had shown power
, I agree, and the Red Priests become more effective when it comes to performing their magic. Do the blue-lipped warlocks really are more powerful since the dragons came back? ‘Coz their magic did not surely save them from Drogon’s wrath when he burn their house of dust to ashes. Anyway, I hope the Wall has enough magic to protect itself from fallin’ down when the Others soon invade.

The point is magic is making a come back, if Jon isn't merely wounded...he is at the Wall, a place of magic, along with a powerful priestess of the red god...two other priests of the red god 1) brought Beric back to freaking life how many times? 2) Lady Stoneheart... 3) Victorian's new hand anyone???

Jon has magic of Ice (the Wall/North..) and magic of Fire present with with him..plus Jon is a Warg, (which seems to me to be magic) It seems strange that he would just happen to be stabbed at the wall with all that there.

Mel is indeed has power like most Red Priests, but not sure if they all have the same ability. Can Thoros or Moqorro make shadowbabies? Thoros mentioned that he performed the usual burial ritual of the Red Priests and gave Beric the kiss of fire. He was surprised that Beric lived but did not claim it was his power that brought him back six times but R’hllor. Mel claims her power is greater at the Wall but that did not improve her ability to interpret what she sees in the fire. Not sure how the burial ritual goes but burning people is the way to make sacrifice to the Red God, not to resurrect dead ones. So if Mel is going to resurrect Jon, she will give him the kiss of fire not burn him on a funeral pyre. Yup, Jon is very involved in magic and being a warg is magical. The Wall is undoubtedly a magical place: if it can help Jon to remain alive, that’s good; if it will give more power to Mel, not.so.good.

I'm totally with you here. If Jon comes back, I will be really annoyed. The only way this could possibly work for me would be if he comes back as a wight for insight to the Others and the Lands of Always Winter. But all of the other options are just stupid:

First of all, this ridiculous thing with him not being dead yet, and just requiring a good healer... I personally consider: 'he never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold...' to be as much an indicator of death as 'and then the steel was at her throat, and it's bite was red and cold.' I really don't get people who think his fate was a cliffhanger; e.g. he didn't die, just got attacked.

The second popular idea is that he gets resurrected. I will seriously be really annoyed if this happens. Way too many people have been resurrected character. Ever since UnCat, the new thing seems to be that if somebody important dies, they're fine as long as their somewhere near a Red Priest, and I feel like it's really detracting from the drama of ASOIAF.

And finally, the theory that he will return as Ghost. I wouldn't mind this too much, as it is foreshadowed by the prologue to ADWD, but it would still feel like a bit of a cop out; in fact, any outcome that didn't result in Jon's death would.

Right now, I don't know what happened to Jon, but the only thing which could fully satisfy me right now is if he's dead. The one thing I am sure of though; whether or not he's dead or alive, he won't return in the same state.

Thank God I'm not alone. I took the scene bolded in your quote above to mean death as well.

One thing that does pique my interest, however, is how Moqorro healed Victarian's hand. Been awhile since I've read the scene, but isn't his hand all fiery and smokey and stronger than ever now? This seems to contrast with the "healing" Thoros used to bring back Beric and Beric -> Cat. Makes me curious as to the results if a red priest healed a more grievous wound in the same manner.

In Daznak's Pit, Dany was bathed in Drogon's fire and once again came out alive.

Are you sure she was actually "bathed" by fire or just in proximity to it? Because when Drogo came down to the pit, this time there are references to her being burnt and blistered and recovering from burns while she was chillin in Drogo's little nest area. I missed that the first time too and I argued that Targs were "fireproof" and while I still like to think they have a preference for heat where others would not....I do not think Dany, or any other Targ is capable of walking through fire, dragon fire or otherwise anytime they want and coming out unscathed.

I argued that Dany was "fireproof" too until I read something that Martin said about it and read what others have said.

After I went back and re-read it with this in mind, it seems like she was just close to the fire Drogo let loose....but wasn't actually bathing in it or taking it full in the face like Quenten Martell did.

I like to think that had someone else been where Dany was when Drogo came down they would have been more "burnt" or not recovered as quickly, but IDK...I think that her being "Unburnt" had more to do with the magic of the whole thing than her simply having the "Blood of the Dragon."

Thank God I'm not alone. I took the scene bolded in your quote above to mean death as well.

One thing that does pique my interest, however, is how Moqorro healed Victarian's hand. Been awhile since I've read the scene, but isn't his hand all fiery and smokey and stronger than ever now? This seems to contrast with the "healing" Thoros used to bring back Beric and Beric -> Cat. Makes me curious as to the results if a red priest healed a more grievous wound in the same manner.

I do agree, I think that what happened to Jon was to change his status quo...to change his state so that he can do or become someone or something else..or at the least allow something else to happen, something that couldn't otherwise.

As far as the rest, I think Jon is in a place so steeped with magic and with a priestess of the red god who we have all witnessed them all becoming more and more powerful.....

IDK...it also seems that when we witness someones death from their eyes they aren't really, "really" dead? Doesn't Ayra tell us of Ned's head? ....and Cat TELLS us of Robb?

There are a bunch of ways it could go I think....I try not to hope too much for one specific action or another...but rather whatever ends up actually happening it was for a point. (except for Ghost NOT dying.. that is the only thing I don't think I could handle, if he dies, like I have said, I will not be a happy camper. RIP Lady and Greywind :( )

What POV's? Jon's dead. Melisandre is our POV at the wall now

That's right. Why do you people think we got a Melisandre POV in the last book? Because she's hot? No, dude. Jon is as dead as your pork barbecue. Probably, he'll come back as Undead Jon, but undead people don't get POV chapters.

That's right. Why do you people think we got a Melisandre POV in the last book? Because she's hot? No, dude. Jon is as dead as your pork barbecue. Probably, he'll come back as Undead Jon, but undead people don't get POV chapters.

While I have been nervous about this the whole time once Mel had a POV and was at the wall....(I literally thought, oh shit, its been a book or 2 since a Stark has died uh oh, got damn you, you Red Bitch!) but is it wrong to hope that Mel stays at the Wall which then allows Jon to go on adventures elsewhere?

While I don't outright disagree, I think it would be a shame to not find out..AND have Jon find out what his whole Mom/Pops deal is.

Remember now Bran has the power of the old gods and all so I guess maybe he can just tell us the rest of story from his POV....

While I like Jon, I've sadly gotten accustomed to an average of a Stark dying 1 per book and it seems we are due...but I would personally be disappointed if he is did die and never got to find out any truths of his birth, the last thing Ned promised him....or I guess he can go the route of joining consciousness with Bran's new tree body Jon warging into Ghost and who knows.

I'd like to say I agree I guess, but ....

I think we could have a prologue with one of the doomed Conspirators and/or Wildling and/or Queen's Men getting killed at the melee at the wall, giving us a glimpse of what is happening. Or as people have said, a Melisandre POV in the midst of the confusion. I doubt Mel will be the one who raises him, Jon has always been tied with the Old Gods and Ice, if he is dead and returns it should be due to them.

If he spends time warged into Ghost as his body heals (if he is only injured) then we get a pov of what is going on through there, but I doubt, if he is raised from dead somehow I expect him to have some kind of revelation in the other side (I would love a little reunion between Ned, Robb and Jon in the land of dead, so he can find out about his parentage and that his other siblings are alive).

Whether his vows expire, the Night Watch expels him or whatever happens I don't think he will abandon the fight at the wall, not now since his previous dream had him fighting alone at the wall covered in black ice. He might have to somehow go and get word of what is happening in the south after that letter but unless he has to flee with his life I do believe the will live and die by the wall (even after the Dream of Spring has ended, part of the bittersweet ending GRRM promised, which ends up with Dany giving up Westeros as well and returning to the East )

I don't know whether Jon lives or dies of his wounds. Either is perfectly possible.

For example, during the assassination of Julius Ceasar he was stabbed 23 times, only one of which was a mortal wound. I think this is the basis of the Jon scene (complete with the first wound being a superficial cut to the neck).

We only know of Jon being stabbed four times, so survival is very possible. On the downside, it was the second of Ceasar's stab wounds which was the mortal blow. So GRRM could [obviously] go either way on the situation.

On the whole, I lean toward Jon surviving. We have lots of foreshadowing of Jon's story arc of events which have not yet occurred (Mel's seeing Jon going into and out of Ghost, his dream of being armored in black ice and wielding a fiery sword, Dany's vision of a blue rose growing out of a wall of ice as a future love interest, etc.).

And for story telling purposes, I see the attempted assassination as being a pivot point in Jon's character development. As pure speculation, he may transition from a military commander (Julius Ceasar) to a political ruler (Augustus Ceasar).

So my feeble effort to anticipate GRRM goes like this:

1. Jon survives and, though the wounds are serious, they won't slow him down much (there have been many historic kings and commanders taking the field very shortly after receiving serious wounds, or at least directing operations).

2. Bowen Marsh's coup against Jon is, however, largely succesful. He is deemed a deserter of the Night's Watch, removed as LC, and is scheduled for execution. Queen Selyse, however, intervenes and pardons Jon in the name of Stannis or, if he really is dead, as regent of Shireen. After all, Jon was the only member of the NW willing to act against Bolton and she needs him and his Wildlings, if she is to stay reasonably safe from the Bastard of Bolton. She makes it stick despite NW opposition via a combination of her knights, Tormunds' Wildlings, and the Norrey/Flint clan leaders.

3. Jon's plan goes forward, albeit a bit more slowly as he can't travel as quickly due to his wounded state. IMO, this is a good thing as it prevents him from rushing in. And unlike all but a few characters, Jon is reasonably politically astute and may be able to gather more information and more allies due to his enforced time spent recuperating.

4. Much like Julius Ceasar's assassination (which in the legends resulted in the sun being blotted out, etc and other events indicating a disruption in the natural cycle), the attempted assassination of Jon signals the beginning of the Long Night.

5. Jon deals with the Boltons/Freys either in cooperation with or independent of Stannis. Jon deals with the consequences of Robb's Will in a manner which limits potential conflict in the North, perhaps serving as Lord Protector for Rickon [when Manderly produces him, and they thereafter cut a deal- after all, Jon can identify Rickon and Manderly may very much want him to do so to remove any doubt as to his identity], with the assistance of the Karstarks (loyal to Jon at this point) and other lords loyal to Robb (using the Will's provisions to convince them to accept his judgement), and the Manderly coalition (loyal to the Starks but acting out of a bit of self-interest). This proves too powerful a coalition for either the Bolton/Frey axis or Stannis' nascent strengh.

6. Jon continues to consolidate power with a series of politically astute moves. He marries Asha Greyjoy (who is on record of wanting to settle the North), they work together to deal with her uncles (though Victarion is likely to be Victarion's undoing), and though they declare Theon king, Asha reigns in reality (as Theon is cracked)- this works for the North as it becomes public knowledge that Theon did NOT kill the Stark boys and the [temporary] loss of Winterfell is offset by the fact that Ned Stark's grandchildren will eventually rule the Iron Islands as Theon can produce no heirs. Jon either avenges Mance Ryder (and thus consolidates his authority amongst the Wildings, though a considerable number have already sworn to him) or rescues him and makes known that he safeguarded his son with Dalla (which creates an alliance between the two). By the end of Book 6, Jon is the de facto ruler of the Wildlings, the North and the Iron Isles, though he is not the legal ruler of any of them.

7. R+L=J becomes public knowledge towards the end of the book and, from Jon's perspective, means absolutely nothing. He's focused on his duty to his people and preparing for the battles against the Others, not his personal honor or aggrandizement. So even though he has been expelled from the NW, he still best exemplifies its purpose.

I don't know whether Jon lives or dies of his wounds. Either is perfectly possible.

For example, during the assassination of Julius Ceasar he was stabbed 23 times, only one of which was a mortal wound. I think this is the basis of the Jon scene (complete with the first wound being a superficial cut to the neck).

We only know of Jon being stabbed four times, so survival is very possible. On the downside, it was the second of Ceasar's stab wounds which was the mortal blow. So GRRM could [obviously] go either way on the situation.

On the whole, I lean toward Jon surviving. We have lots of foreshadowing of Jon's story arc of events which have not yet occurred (Mel's seeing Jon going into and out of Ghost, his dream of being armored in black ice and wielding a fiery sword, Dany's vision of a blue rose growing out of a wall of ice as a future love interest, etc.).

And for story telling purposes, I see the attempted assassination as being a pivot point in Jon's character development. As pure speculation, he may transition from a military commander (Julius Ceasar) to a political ruler (Augustus Ceasar).

So my feeble effort to anticipate GRRM goes like this:

1. Jon survives and, though the wounds are serious, they won't slow him down much (there have been many historic kings and commanders taking the field very shortly after receiving serious wounds, or at least directing operations).

2. Bowen Marsh's coup against Jon is, however, largely succesful. He is deemed a deserter of the Night's Watch, removed as LC, and is scheduled for execution. Queen Selyse, however, intervenes and pardons Jon in the name of Stannis or, if he really is dead, as regent of Shireen. After all, Jon was the only member of the NW willing to act against Bolton and she needs him and his Wildlings, if she is to stay reasonably safe from the Bastard of Bolton. She makes it stick despite NW opposition via a combination of her knights, Tormunds' Wildlings, and the Norrey/Flint clan leaders.

3. Jon's plan goes forward, albeit a bit more slowly as he can't travel as quickly due to his wounded state. IMO, this is a good thing as it prevents him from rushing in. And unlike all but a few characters, Jon is reasonably politically astute and may be able to gather more information and more allies due to his enforced time spent recuperating.

4. Much like Julius Ceasar's assassination (which in the legends resulted in the sun being blotted out, etc and other events indicating a disruption in the natural cycle), the attempted assassination of Jon signals the beginning of the Long Night.

5. Jon deals with the Boltons/Freys either in cooperation with or independent of Stannis. Jon deals with the consequences of Robb's Will in a manner which limits potential conflict in the North, perhaps serving as Lord Protector for Rickon [when Manderly produces him, and they thereafter cut a deal- after all, Jon can identify Rickon and Manderly may very much want him to do so to remove any doubt as to his identity], with the assistance of the Karstarks (loyal to Jon at this point) and other lords loyal to Robb (using the Will's provisions to convince them to accept his judgement), and the Manderly coalition (loyal to the Starks but acting out of a bit of self-interest). This proves too powerful a coalition for either the Bolton/Frey axis or Stannis' nascent strengh.

6. Jon continues to consolidate power with a series of politically astute moves. He marries Asha Greyjoy (who is on record of wanting to settle the North), they work together to deal with her uncles (though Victarion is likely to be Victarion's undoing), and though they declare Theon king, Asha reigns in reality (as Theon is cracked)- this works for the North as it becomes public knowledge that Theon did NOT kill the Stark boys and the [temporary] loss of Winterfell is offset by the fact that Ned Stark's grandchildren will eventually rule the Iron Islands as Theon can produce no heirs. Jon either avenges Mance Ryder (and thus consolidates his authority amongst the Wildings, though a considerable number have already sworn to him) or rescues him and makes known that he safeguarded his son with Dalla (which creates an alliance between the two). By the end of Book 6, Jon is the de facto ruler of the Wildlings, the North and the Iron Isles, though he is not the legal ruler of any of them.

7. R+L=J becomes public knowledge towards the end of the book and, from Jon's perspective, means absolutely nothing. He's focused on his duty to his people and preparing for the battles against the Others, not his personal honor or aggrandizement. So even though he has been expelled from the NW, he still best exemplifies its purpose.

Seriously, though, am I the only person who thinks that the prose was perfectly clear in indicating that he was dead? How did you interpret the last sentence?

Archived