Clothing and hair design: Why is everything so...plain?

Wsaharan

I don't know if it's deliberate or not, but if you look at busts of Caligula--a very Joffrey-like historical figure--he actually has Joffrey's hairstyle.

Jack Gleeson's facial features also resemble Caligula's, from the looks of it. Ha!

I'm glad they cut that stuff. We got a mild taste of that sort of stuff in Quarth and it ended up feeling like a star trek episode.

Agreed. Quaithe looked particularly laughable.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130126185617/gameofthrones/images/7/76/Quaithe_profile.png

And let's not forget this thing:

http://0.tqn.com/d/scifi/1/0/N/k/0/-/GOT-Season2-Margaery-Tyrell1.jpg

I don't know if it's deliberate or not, but if you look at busts of Caligula--a very Joffrey-like historical figure--he actually has Joffrey's hairstyle.

Jack Gleeson's facial features also resemble Caligula's, from the looks of it. Ha!

Joffrey's hair doesn't look far removed from a long Caesar style cut....

I really prefer it that way, it's more realistic. I mean Dario in the books - his beard was a potential threat if grabbed by an opponent, the boob showing dress in Quarth would have looked vulgar on the show, and giant sigils on clothes would make it seem as if this was all some kind of a sports competition, with the houses being the teams. If you look closely and watch the show in HD, you will see elements of the sigils on a lot of the clothing, i.e. Stannis has lovely leather stag horn on his jacket.

That being said, Robbs crown is missing and that's a shame, hope we will see it this week.

What bugs me more than the hairstyles is Osha's lack of genital hair. That's just not possible that a wildling woman would even think of shaving it off.

Is it just me or does it seem like the same dresses are worn in nearly all episodes? Sansa (save wedding gown) seems to have worn that grey dress a bit much. Margery that green/gold/blue dress with the open back. Cersei wearing the red armored dress constantly. And Dany wore that blue dress w/ pants for a long time.

I did think that Gregor 1.0 had a funny helm. Looked like a large tin bucket with a face mask attached.

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/5b/5b7b71d2a0088ddb973b9ea88904a85d7829010c_full.jpg

All of the women look fine with their hair down to me, but I don't like any of the fancier braided hairstyles they have done so far. Cersei's wigs have been awful in the past. I have always imagined Jaime and Cersei's hair to be a much more golden shade of blonde because there are so many references to that in the book.

I think that they did a better job with the clothes than with the wigs, I actually iike some of the costumes, those Lannister leather coats for example look awesome.

Is it just me or does it seem like the same dresses are worn in nearly all episodes? Sansa (save wedding gown) seems to have worn that grey dress a bit much. Margery that green/gold/blue dress with the open back. Cersei wearing the red armored dress constantly. And Dany wore that blue dress w/ pants for a long time.

Dresses were pretty expensive, I believe people didn't use to have multiple sets of clothing i.e. in medieval times, they just changed the underwear (or not). On special occasions they use dresses prepared especially for that occasion, but otherwise they used the same clothes all round.

All of the women look fine with their hair down to me, but I don't like any of the fancier braided hairstyles they have done so far.

I believe that in Westeros it is inappropriate for a girl to put her hair down and let it lose. They only do that in private. Have you seen the blu-ray commentary? Michelle Fairley commented on the Robb/Taisa sex scene and seemed to interpret Talisa's hair put down as an invitation to said sex.

Dresses were pretty expensive, I believe people didn't use to have multiple sets of clothing i.e. in medieval times, they just changed the underwear (or not). On special occasions they use dresses prepared especially for that occasion, but otherwise they used the same clothes all round.

In the book they pretty well describe the vast wardrobes these characters go through. Hell, if you took out the clothing and food descriptions it would have ended up just being a trilogy.

I understand budget limitations, but there are many an artistic choice that has nothing to do with that... Discussions over differences btw books and series are mostly about plot, but changes in art direction and costuming are substantial as well, and not all of them are due to budget reasons.

IMO, across the narrow sea looks too similar to Westeros. I agree a purple haired Daario would have been a little too much, but his clothing was very simple. Where are the flamboyant yellow silks? I would have loved to see some Ghiscari hairdos as well. Other thing that bothers me is that everybody fights without a helm! And they always seem to walk everywhere... Arya/Gendry, Jaime/Brienne, Sam/Edd/Grenn...

I hated that Mance wasn´t singing when we first saw him. His striped cloak was also missing!

IMO, across the narrow sea looks too similar to Westeros. I agree a purple haired Daario would have been a little too much, but his clothing was very simple. Where are the flamboyant yellow silks? I would have loved to see some Ghiscari hairdos as well.

I'm thinking they wanted to back away from anything too flamboyant and colourful as it would just look silly and campy. It's hard to sell the series as a serious drama worthy of major award consideration if they have extras parading around looking like refugees from Priscilla, Queen of the Desert or The Fifth Element. (I mean, I love The Fifth Element, but the costumes scream "camp.") The Qarth costumes were probably as close as the costume people were willing to walk to that particular line, and even then, everything was a little dialed back; the colours weren't that vibrant, the clothes weren't that outrageous, the hair was pretty normal, and some of the women's gowns were actually quite pretty. There's a reason for that.

Personally I've always been bothered by Dany's lack of violet eyes. Would contacts or a tiny bit of CGI be that difficult?

I wish this site had an FAQ , that question has been asked many many times.

The did try contacts and for what ever reasons cinematically or due to physical discomfort it was dropped.

As to CGI , I don't know the expense, but there is a ton of VFX we don't even notice!

So I guess one more thing to do, with 99999 things to do one less eases the work.

Personally it has never bothered me one wit.

The one thing that has been annoying me this season is the fact Margaery is always wearing the same dress.

Actually, she has at least five different dresses, and she hasn't worn any of them more than twice. The one she wore in her first scene in episode one (never wore that one again), the one that shows her waist, the blue and gold she wore in episode two, the blue with a brown pattern she wore in episode four, and the one she wore in Sansa's wedding.

The problem is that all of her dresses are very very similar in its shape and colour, so you have to pay attention to notice they are different. I wish they had made them at least a bit more different.

The same thing happens to other characters. Sansa has worn three different dresses this season (not counting her wedding dress). There is the purple one with the leaves, the purple / gray with the scale pattern and the purple / grey with a different pattern that she was wearing when she met the Queen of thorns.

Cersei has had a bit more variation.

I think Dany is the only character that has actually worn the same dress in most of her scenes (the exception being the white dress from episode 7).

If you ask me, I think the problem is that they went a bit over the top with the colour coding this season...

Agreed. Quaithe looked particularly laughable.

http://images3.wikia...the_profile.png

Actually I've seen the Quaithe one before. An almost identical head dress was in a fashion show. I used to cut out arty photos from magazines and keep them in a scrapbook for ideas. I always assumed that it was based on an actual tribal head dress somewhere in the world.

Archived