What is Bran's/Bloodraven's mission?

Arya Wargface

Bran Stark has one the most set-up storyline in the whole series. The three-eyed raven started talking to him as soon as he fell from the tower at Winterfell, which was about 1/10th of the way through A Game of Thrones. Bran has a long journey throughout the series to finally get to Bloodraven beyond the wall.

It's pretty evident that Bloodraven believes Bran to be a key to saving Westeros from demise (most likely from the Others, because you know, they bad). Bran is taught to fly through the body of a raven and he sees the history of Winterfell in reverse through the weirwood tree at Winterfell.

I apologize if I missed a crucial convo piece between Bloodraven and Bran, but what is Bloodraven training Bran to do?

Ready, set, crackpot!

My heart wants Bran to warg into a dragon to fight the Others, however that's just me being hopeful.

the two of them will troll Melisandre.

I just spit my coffee out, from laughing. Great one, thanks for the laugh. As for the OP, Bran is learing to be the most powerful entity on the planet. Basically a God.

I don't know if regular animals would have much effect on the Others- they seem to make wights from animals as easily as humans. One thing an Old God can do, is alert everyone who prays before a heart-tree of the looming danger Beyond the Wall.

He might very well be able to warg dragons. We don't know why the Freehold never tried to conquer Westeros, many believe it was fear of the greenseers turning the dragons against their masters.

I just think his role is over-looked in the scheme of the whole series. We focus on Dany and Jon Snow and even the newest contender Aegon (legitimate or not). Bran has been getting more powerful throughout ADWD and I think his role is going to be more than informing people that the others are coming through weirwood trees. If he doesn't eventually warg a dragon (which would make my life complete), then he must have some kind of other large impact on the battle with the Others.

• 2 months later...

Bran becoming/evolving has been my thought since book 1. Godlike becoming. I talk to my friends about the Superworld factor all the time. George's rule. You had points to pick your powers. You could get additional points by taking on hindrances. The further you crippled your character the more godlike you could become. Coincidentally it's what scares me about Patchface more than anyone.

Bran is to become a God- he is named for a Celtin God - Bran - a crow god who goes to the underworld and returns. There is also a like to Balder the Norndic god of resurrection, though just how is yet to be shown but he wargs into Walder (Balder) who is in the legends kiiled accidently by his brother Hodr.

It would not be very "martin" to have the whole thing breakdown to a fight of good vs. evil (versus the others). I'm starting to suspect that Bran/Bloodraven will somehow be opposed to the "fire" forces of Dany/Dragons/Red Priests. Fire gives light and warmth, but it also consumes, as Beric said. And Ice preserves, as Aemon let us know. It is a song of ice and fire, an interplay between the two. Imagine a scenario where Arya, who now resides in dragon-hating Braavos, finds herself hired to kill Dany, for example. I'm not convinced that all the "good" players will end up on the side of dragons and fire. Though I'm nowhere near convinced this is the endgame, I could see Bran winding up in some alliance with the Others, who we take as "evil"--which might be too easy.

It's hard to remember that most people will not reread 5000 pages or talk online with countless attentive thinking readers. It's hard to remember that "obvious" is so not obvious to most people that come across this series. I think the is an very pleasing Bran v Jon showdown as part of the payoff. Although in this version I do kinda have a killing machine version of Bran ie: masterblaster from beyond thunderdome x the power of the north

It would not be very "martin" to have the whole thing breakdown to a fight of good vs. evil (versus the others). I'm starting to suspect that Bran/Bloodraven will somehow be opposed to the "fire" forces of Dany/Dragons/Red Priests. Fire gives light and warmth, but it also consumes, as Beric said. And Ice preserves, as Aemon let us know. It is a song of ice and fire, an interplay between the two. Imagine a scenario where Arya, who now resides in dragon-hating Braavos, finds herself hired to kill Dany, for example. I'm not convinced that all the "good" players will end up on the side of dragons and fire. Though I'm nowhere near convinced this is the endgame, I could see Bran winding up in some alliance with the Others, who we take as "evil"--which might be too easy.

I agree, I'm still not certain that the Others are indeed purely evil. Both they and Dragons have been shown to show many similar characteristics, yet one is regarded as the bad guy and one as Super awesome and one of the reasons that Dany is the main hero.

I think Bran might never have a PoV again... just a suspicion, instead his actions take place Via Wierwoods and we have to piece it all together. As to his/BR plan... pissing Mel off sounds like the most fun atm :D

I never imagined that Bloodraven had a certain "mission" that he was trying to achieve, besides perhaps to help the realm and most likely fight against the Others. I do think Bloodraven is from a long standing line of the "Old Gods," these beings sort of removed from time that are influencing although not exactly controlling events. I think it's pretty clear that Bloodraven has been working to get Bran to the cave to take over for him, but then what?

I certainly do not see the Children of the Forest or Bloodraven working with the Others, that would just go against everything we've seen so far, but that doesn't mean their interests align with the Night's Watch or the likes of Melisandre either.

Surely Bloodraven will have a plan, he sounds like one of those people who just gets the job done. I hope he can be a father figure to Bran but I am not sure. I think his plan is related to sacrifice in one way or another. Whether that sacrifice is Jojen and/or someone else I don't know.

Archived