Orell warging (Book 5 Spoilers)(TV Show 3x9 spoilers)

I feel similarly that it's somehow a letdown that the show may actually catch up to and even pass the point we're at in the books. While I love the show dearly and think overall (except for a few minor changes) they are doing a great job of keeping the story true to GRRM's gritty style and intensity.

But, to all of us who have literally been waiting decades for the finale of this saga, it's almost a slap in the face to have the television show be that source of ending first. I'm hoping the producers knowing the ending just helps keep them on track as someone above said, in order to better know which story lines are important to focus on and which ones can be dropped because they aren't important to the end (like dropping Edric and using Gendry instead).

I also have a sneaky suspicion maybe George has a trick up his sleeve and is actually going to release the book at the same time the HBO season correlating with it is set to start, that way they'll drum up fans for both, a double win win for the author as well as the show ratings.That would be awesome and create a huge super finale to the saga.

But back to the topic at hand - there's been much more emphasis on warging and resurrections lately in the show so hopefully both of those indicate some sort of favorable outcome for Jon Snow. I like the way they've done it for both Orell and Bran too.

I'm really upset and disillusioned....and jealous. Taking this hard, doesn't seem fair to those of us who've been following ASOIAF forever. Man...

:dunce: pout, pout, pout

Life isn't a song little bird.

No way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even who sits the IT (or not), and what ultimately happens to all the characters?!!!?

I'm really upset and disillusioned....and jealous. Taking this hard, doesn't seem fair to those of us who've been following ASOIAF forever. Man...

Me, too!

As it sinks in, I guess it does make sense, but cheez!

The writers spent a day at GRRM's house while writing season 3 to run changes by him too. I think the big item on their agenda was Mel meeting Thoros & the BWB to pick up Gendry. It's very probable that GRRM told them that would be best for the show storyline.

TV show makes it clear that Mel does not have the power to resurrect the dead and if you cross check it with a book, I don't think there is any reason to believe that Mel will obtain or seek out the ability to resurrect anyone.

Thoros also makes it clear that it isn't him, it is the Lord of Light, so it is entirely possible that Mel would be able to res Jon. I don't recall if he makes the same assertion in the book.

Varamyr existed for a reason. Jon being a man then a wolf then a man (Melisandre vision) exists for a reason. On the show...Well they're never going to show Varamyr so this was a good way to show that possibility. But first they have to prove to me that they will develop Jon's warging ability before Season 5. Currently they've ignored it, and they've shown him essentially mocking a warg. So I would say yes to your question, but only if they decide to show that Jon actually has some ability beforehand and isn't just lucky to have direwolf protector (of whom we've barely seen anything).

I think when Jon gets back to wall after all his injuries they will have a few scenes with him dreaming while in ghost. he will prob keep waking up with a maester aiding his wounds. They will prob do the same with Arya too. not sure if im wrong about this but it seems as though both jon and arya are aware of their wolf dreams but dont actually realize they are warging their wolves.

I thought they did it as a foreshadowing of sorts, definitely. They also had Jojen say to Bran "it's in your blood", something that can be interpreted as 'it runs in the family'. In this way they not only pave the way for Jon to develop his warg ability but also Arya and then later when Jon youknowhwat but Ghost is near.

(by the way, sorry if I forgot about this but...do wargs recognize each other? I seem to have a vague idea that they do...It's just, when Hodor starts hodoring and Orell hears him, it seems to me it's not just that. Bran wargs into Hodor and silences him but Orell is staring...I don't know, maybe it was just a first impression and I haven't rewatched...)

I've been thinking the same thing about Orell warging (sorry, not a word but it should be) into the eagle and Mel learning about ressurection from Thoros. A big part of it is hope because I like Jon and want R+L=J to be true, though. Sadly, I know how capable these books are at crushing hopes & dreams.

(by the way, sorry if I forgot about this but...do wargs recognize each other? I seem to have a vague idea that they do...It's just, when Hodor starts hodoring and Orell hears him, it seems to me it's not just that. Bran wargs into Hodor and silences him but Orell is staring...I don't know, maybe it was just a first impression and I haven't rewatched...)

Yes, wargs do recognize other wargs - or so it was in the books. I cannot remember if it was Ortell or Varamyr Sixskins who confronted Jon Snow when he first joined Mance Rayder's camp but one of them was very vocal about pointing out Jon was a warg to which Jon denied it or seemed confused.

No way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even who sits the IT (or not), and what ultimately happens to all the characters?!!!?

I feel the opposite way. I think the worst part of getting to do this series is to get spoiled how everything ends way before you get to read about it. I don't want to read A Dream of Spring knowing how it ends.

Well if HBO and GRRM are smart from a marketing perspective, they would release the last book durning the start GOT's final season. Given all the new interest in the saga maybe George will be motivated to finish the series in a big way with the final book release and the GOT finale.

Yes, wargs do recognize other wargs - or so it was in the books. I cannot remember if it was Ortell or Varamyr Sixskins who confronted Jon Snow when he first joined Mance Rayder's camp but one of them was very vocal about pointing out Jon was a warg to which Jon denied it or seemed confused.

Thank you! I seemed to have the idea but didn't remember it exactly. I jusr rewatched that scene and it seems quite clear to me that Orell not only hears the shouting, he also senses the other warg nearby, there's this shot of him right when Bran is warging Hodor that tells me they did it on purpose...maybe I should post it on the positive nitpicking thread :).

Thank you! I seemed to have the idea but didn't remember it exactly. I jusr rewatched that scene and it seems quite clear to me that Orell not only hears the shouting, he also senses the other warg nearby, there's this shot of him right when Bran is warging Hodor that tells me they did it on purpose...maybe I should post it on the positive nitpicking thread :).

Really ..... more like it was added for drama. A warg likely only recognizes another when observed interacting with animal or familiar. You can't tell clearly what the character is thinking if there is no dialog. We debated for ages over whether the look on littlefinger's face suggested that he recognized Arya at Haranhall until the producers were quoted as saying it was not so.

Overall, the only thing that we can say about this scene and its relation to Jon Snow's fate is that it is a problem that the producers have not yet contemplated yet cause it would appear to be seasons away.

I don't believe GRRM has filled the producers in on everything. The more we are likely to out or predict the story, the greater likelyhood that GRRM will change it up to surprise the reader or viewer

I wonder if Martin would even let them finish his story before he does.

It's not his to decide. He most certainly cannot put a stop on the TV show - and let's face it, IF the TV show makes it to the end of the story, it'll almost certainly reach that stage before Martin does.

Archived