How Jon should be released from his vows

AegonTargaryen

I suspect I'm in the minority for this, but I don't want Jon to be freed from his vows on a technicality. For example, he died and came back so his watch has ended.

I basically want Jon to say "fuck this shit, these Bolton and Frey cocksuckers killed my brother, and I'm going to destroy them for it. Those Lannisters killed my father, and I'm going to destroy them for it. I am Jon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar, rightful king of the seven kingdoms, and I will take what is mine, and avenge Ned and Robb, with fire and blood. Once I've united the realms I'll come back and deal with these white walkers"

I'll admit it, I'm a Stark fan boy, and I want some revenge for Robb. Preferably in the form of a Stark/Targaryen army led by Jon descending on the Twins. Although they loved each other as brothers, Jon was always hurt by Robb's comment when they were young children, that he could not be lord of Winterfell "because he was a bastard." I want him to see Robb's will, and know that in his final moments he loved and trusted Jon, considered him his brother, and wanted him to be lord of Winterfell should he die without an heir. I may be in a rage from watching last night's episode, but I want to see the debt repaid, and I want Jon to be the one to pay it.

Nah. If he didn't break his vow when he heard about Bran, Rickon, and Ned + Winterfell burning, he wont/shouldn't do it now. Robb was a warrior - he had it coming. And I doubt Jon cares about Cat. Dead or alive, he should remain a brother of the Night's Watch.

While I don't think Jon will end up actually breaking his vow, absolutely I would rather he have a "fuck the police" moment instead of getting out on a double jeopardy technicality like, uh, dying but then not dying. The more I think about it though the more I think that's what GRRM will do — and in that case, it makes me wonder if the "assassination" wasn't designed to do that all along, by ... someone.

I guess when the Wall falls. Just like the desctruction of the Temple in 73 AD led to the extinction of the Pharisees and Sadducees who worked there, the fall of the Wall could result in the extinction of the NW which was founded to defend the Wall.

I'm in the same camp.

His vows aren't worth watching your family being butchered and watching their butchers take over the north. They would have a better chance of saving the realm with the rest of the kingdom behind them.

While I don't think Jon will end up actually breaking his vow, absolutely I would rather he have a "fuck the police" moment instead of getting out on a double jeopardy technicality like, uh, dying but then not dying. The more I think about it though the more I think that's what GRRM will do — and in that case, it makes me wonder if the "assassination" wasn't designed to do that all along, by ... someone.

There's plenty of speculation that this will be what happens. Nice funeral, one of the corpsicles is glamoured to look like Jon and is cremated, they have an election to determine Lord Commander 999. Jon, Tormund, and a small army of wildlings take off to deal with Ramsay.

Something I have given thought to is the possibility of a new Lord Commander being named while Jon is in a comatose state. I don't know if there is precedence for a LC being replaced, but that by technicality would mean Jon's watch has ended.

I don`t see him getting out of NW by any techinicality... It`ll be his choice... To stay or to go.

Which, by the way, he made earlier. He tried running away to Robb, then had some sense smacked into him by the Old Bear. Is he going to forget that valuable lesson so easily? "What does it matter who sits the Iron Throne when dead men hunt in the night"? Where did Jon's experiences in A Game of Thrones go? Where is the character development? I don't mind Jon, I can't say I am a Jon fan, but I don't mind the guy, but he'd enter the "annoying" threshold very quickly if he just ditches his claim because of an event that happened 2 books ago. (or if he finds out R+L=J)

As for revenge for Robb, I'm hoping for Rickon setting Shaggydog on them. "You took away Robb! You took away mom! They were supposed to come home! No farewell!"

Which, by the way, he made earlier. He tried running away to Robb, then had some sense smacked into him by the Old Bear.

He didn`t, btw. To make a choice and stick to it is completely different thing than what he has done. At the end, after choosing to go to Robb, he chose to stay.

He didn`t, btw. To make a choice and stick to it is completely different thing than what he has done. At the end, after choosing to go to Robb, he chose to stay.

He made both choices, only he didn't dedicate to the first after he was brought back by his friends, and after he was brought back and basically chastised and embarrassed by Mormont, he made the decision to stay from then on, a decision he's kept thus far. I don't see him abandoning everything he'd done, and make himself into the kind of man that people like Janos Slynt assumed he was for "defecting" to the Wildlings for some time.

Jon quitting the watch because of a loophole/technicality in his literal vows undoes nearly all his development as a character up to this point.

Jon declaring himself a Targaryen and a son of Rhaegar undoes that infinitely more.

And what if he says "fuck it, I'm Jon Snow, you killed my family, prepair to die."

He can still protect the realms of men, leave the NW out of it, and take his vengeance. If they want to behead him after that so be it. But I have a hard time seeing that if he has a horde of northerns behind him ready to join the fight.

And what if he says "fuck it, I'm Jon Snow, you killed my family, prepair to die."

He can still protect the realms of men, leave the NW out of it, and take his vengeance. If they want to behead him after that so be it. But I have a hard time seeing that if he has a horde of northerns behind him ready to join the fight.

He can go ahead and do that after, you know, the realm isn't at risk of being Other'd.

Not to mention he had to freaking chance to do this, Stannis gave him the chance, on a silver platter, drizzled in BBQ sauce with an apple in its mouth, and he said no.

He can go ahead and do that after, you know, the realm isn't at risk of being Other'd.

Not to mention he had to freaking chance to do this, Stannis gave him the chance, on a silver platter, drizzled in BBQ sauce with an apple in its mouth, and he said no.

Because Winterfell wasn't Stannis' to give, and it would force him to turn away from the old gods by burning Winterfell's godswood. That's why he turned it down. The idea that he would turn down both Stannis and Robb ignores why he turned down Stannis. The two offers are not created equal.

Also, I'm pretty sure Jon Snow is going to be the Grover Cleveland of the Night's Watch, if you get my meaning.

The Wall will fall during or after the defeat of the Others. Maybe the dragons will melt the wall while burning the Others...... The only honorable way to end his allegiance to the NW will be to disband the NW. No Others= No Wall=No NW.

Jon would never disgrace Ned's memory.

Archived