[Book Spoilers]The "Episode 9" Moment of Season 4

Tewks44

What is Stannis going to do for the first half of season 4 before he smashes the wildlings at the wall?

My thoughts exactly. Where will he be? Unless they're going to have the battle at the Wall really, really early in the season, which would suck.

My thoughts exactly. Where will he be? Unless they're going to have the battle at the Wall really, really early in the season, which would suck.

I've thought so too. He'll probably leave in episode 1 or 2, then not show up again until 6 or 7. At least he's there awhile before Jon gets voted LC, and interacts with Sam, Aemon, and Jon, so eventually he'll get more screen time/importance. Who knows about Davos, though.

GRRM is clueless.

You are the one who is clueless.

They made 2 fucking seasons of ASOS. ADWD is as big as ASOS, and then you have AFFC on that.

In fact, ADWD + AFFC is more than 1.5 times ASOS, yet ASOS got 2 seasons and some of you guys thinks that ADWD + AFFC will only have 1 season?

They made 2 fucking seasons of ASOS. ADWD is as big as ASOS, and then you have AFFC on that.

In fact, ADWD + AFFC is more than 1.5 times ASOS, yet ASOS got 2 seasons and some of you guys thinks that ADWD + AFFC will only have 1 season?

The stories run concurrently and there is only one season's worth of plot development for virtually all the key characters. Strip out the travelogue, various new characters of low importance, and the plodding nature of much of the writing in those books and you have one season of good material. What is good in those books would shine far brighter as a consequence as well.

I would prefer them to keep to the books, honestly. And I think one, streamlined season of ADWD and AFFC could be great, if they eliminate some of the more tedious storylines. Here's my prediction:

1. Jon beheading Janos, Euron sends Victarion on his mission, etc.

2. Bran meets Bloodraven, Stannis takes Deepwood Motte

3. Tyrion finds out about Aegon and Griff, "The Queenmaker"

4. Cersei and the faith, Brienne and Pod at the Quiet Isle

5. Arya, meet Sam; Brienne killing Rorge, attacked by Biter, saved by Gendry

6. Theon's escape, Margaery's trial, Cersei taken prisoner, Sam + Gilly

7. "Walk of Shame", Dany's wedding, Sam in Oldtown

8. Wildling's arrive at the Wall, "Daznak's Pit"

9. "The Dragontamer" (death of Quentyn, escape of dragons), Battle of Griffin's Roost, Barristan vs. Khrazz

10. "Daggers in the Dark", ADWD epilogue, ends with a shot of a snowy KL when we realize Winter has Come.

I am happy keeping as close to the books as possible for what works in those books. Which in my opinion is the Arya, Jon, Davos, Theon and Kings landing storylines. In the case of Arya and Jon they both have some of my favourite chapters for them in these books, so where they work stick to them. What doesn't work IMO is the multitude of new characters and storylines and the Dany and Tyrion storylines. Someone above said these two books should be 2-3 seasons, can you imagine 3 seasons of Dany sat in Mereen?. This is the show, not the books, let them brave and give Dany something to do and let Tyrion join her as her advisor. Let her take the place of Aegon and land in Westeros, it would certainly liven things up.

It's not about how long the books are, it's about what actually happens in the books. The truth is that more compelling story happens in aSOS than in aFFC + aDWD put together.

And I don't think those having an opinion that differs from yours means they are clueless. Make some valid arguments, support them with some evidence, and start a dialogue. Lots of people envision more than 1 season for these two books, but they offer suggestions as to how. Give it a go.

AFFC/ADWD is actually about one and two-thirds the size of ASoS (2,500 manuscript pages to 1,500), but only in terms of physical size, number of pages and numbers of words. In terms of plot development and character arcs, they are not that much bigger, especially considering that the TV show will likely strip out a lot of AFFC/ADWD's subplots and less critical characters.

Much more to the point, expanding AFFC/ADWD over two seasons leaves them perhaps only one season each (at best) to adapt The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, and GRRM has said each of those books will be as big as ADWD, and presumably much more packed with important climaxes to major storylines. Expanding AFFC/ADWD over two seasons risks them losing time they'll urgently need later on to bring the entire series to a conclusion.

It seems to me to be far wiser to put as much AFFC/ADWD material into Season 4 as possible and reach the end of those two books (if indeed not the big battles in the opening of Winter) by the end of Season 5. That leaves them a season-and-a-half each to adapt Books 6 and 7, which is a much more comfortable margin, if we are assuming eight seasons.

I think we are going to get a lot of material from AFFC and ADWD next season and that both books will wrapped up by season 5. I can see the Kings Landing plot and the Wall plot from ASOS lasting the entire season 4, but I think everyone else will get into AFFC/ADWD material.

I think episode 9 next yr will likely be Kings Landing centric. I think it will include the Red Viper/Mountain fight and Tyrion's escape.

Episode 9 will most likely focus on King's Landing, The Wall, Eyrie.

King's Landing - Tyrion kills Tywin/Shae and his escape.

Eyrie - Sansa will build the snow castle and then the kiss (or alternatives) between Sansa and LF will happen.

Episode 10 - They will include all the characters but as the far as the final scenes goes, I hope to see the confrontation between sansa and lysa and littlefinger killing lysa. It would be perfect if it is the second last scene with LF saying "Only Cat" and then immediately for the last scene, UnCat.

Archived