[BOOK SPOILERS] Gendry's destiny

Veltigar

"Look around you, we're all liars here and everyone of us is better than you."

He lied to Catelyn about Arya to get Cat to let Jaime go, he lied to Sansa to try and get her to leave the capital with him. The ironic thing here is he has seen her, but I don't think he bothered to recognize her. On the other hand if he did then he had more important things to do. Broker alliance, gain Harrenhall etc.

For some reason I think there was probably a Lysa deleted scene on the final episode. Walder Frey mentions her marrying Jon Arryn. Maybe they'll use it as a recap line when they do re-introduce her.

If you watch the LF/Sansa scene again, you'll notice that LF very carefully avoids lying while still misleading Sansa:

"Your mother very much wants to see you... (long pause) ...and your sister..."

So not a second sentence with Arya as the subject (Arya wants to see you) but Arya as the second object, i.e., (your mother wants to see you and your sister).

True, the way he says it it's confusing, maybe he didn't recognize Arya, but the scene where he sees her in s2 always gave me that impression. Maybe he suspected but couldn't confirm if it was truly her. The writers are playing with us.

He recognized her alright. Problem is: he didn't tell anyone before the Mountain slaughtered every northern Tywin left behind.

As of now, Qyburn is the only one who could shed some light on whether the 3 kids Yoren was taking to the Wall escaped from Harrenhal before the slaughter.

Good thing that Qyburn left with Jaime too, if only because Gendry is not the only one who has a lead on this.

I still think Gendry will join Brienne to go look for Arya and/or Sansa, Brienne would probably take him after finding out he is the only person willing to go with her who can identify Arya Stark, and maybe we will get another "almost reunion" with Arya and Gendry almost crossing paths right before she leaves for Bravoos.

I don't think Gendry will have more luck on the show trying to find Arya than Brienne had on the books .

If Gendry does team up with Brienne, there's the fact Arya leaves to Braavos before the Maid of Tarth reaches the coast.

If he looks for her alone, Gendry reaches a dead end at the Red Wedding, sooner than Brienne ever did, because she's the only one who finds out a Stark girl was seen with The Hound, even though she doesn't quite get it was Arya.

If any or both of them are counting on Littlefinger, then his plot to take over the Vale and the fact he left Arya at Harrenhal means Lord Baelish would rather see her dead than alive on the show.

I don't think Gendry will have more luck on the show trying to find Arya than Brienne had on the books .

If Gendry does team up with Brienne, there's the fact Arya leaves to Braavos before the Maid of Tarth reaches the coast.

If he looks for her alone, Gendry reaches a dead end at the Red Wedding, sooner than Brienne ever did, because she's the only one who finds out a Stark girl was seen with The Hound, even though she doesn't quite get it was Arya.

If any or both of them are counting on Littlefinger, then his plot to take over the Vale and the fact he left Arya at Harrenhal means Lord Baelish would rather see her dead than alive on the show.

I didn't say Gendry will have any luck finding Arya, I just said that it would make sense if he went traveling with Brienne because he can recognize her, and he also knows an inn where the BwB likes to spend some time, and as far as he knows Arya might be still with them, or at least they might know if she was at the RW, so he can inform Brienne and go directly to the inn, which would save a lot of time. And I also said that Arya will leave for Bravoos and Gendry and Brienne won't be able to find her.

As for LF, it is confirmed he noticed Arya in Harrenhal, but didn't recognize her: http://www.hbo.com/g...w/synopsis.html

I really thought he had, but if he had recognize her then we would have a plot hole

• 3 weeks later...

I really like how D & D are developing Gendry's character. He's clearly destined for greater things. I get the feeling he won't make it to Kingslanding as he probably doesn't have much of a future there since he has a price on his head and people know who he is in the city. My hopes for him are to rejoin the BwoB and restore their purpose and establish them as a stronger company of post-Dondarrion era guerilla fighters. An interesting twist to ratchet up the drama would be meeting the Brotherhood under the influence of UnCat/Lady Stoneheart while they're dealing with Brienne and Podrick as they did in ADwD. From that point, anything could happen in the story. He could rally the remaining Baratheon loyalists that haven't gone over to Stannis, take Dragonstone, maybe even return to KL with a genuine claim for the Iron Throne.

I really don't see Gendry claiming the Iron Throne, if only because I already know what happens to him based on his father.

I saw Robert tell Cersei the 7 Kingdoms "couldn't fill the hole she left", I know how miserable he was because of it and I saw him die because his own wife arranged it.

I know that's exactly what would happen to Gendry if he claims the throne, so I want to see what happen if he turns his back on it and enjoys the life his father couldn't.

I really don't see Gendry claiming the Iron Throne, if only because I already know what happens to him based on his father.

I saw Robert tell Cersei the 7 Kingdoms "couldn't fill the hole she left", I know how miserable he was because of it and I saw him die because his own wife arranged it.

I know that's exactly what would happen to Gendry if he claims the throne, so I want to see what happen if he turns his back on it and enjoys the life his father couldn't.

That's true. Robert was a legendary warrior and Gendry seems like he would fit that mold just as well. He's not very keen on the nobility either.

Gendry used to fit perfectly amongst the Brotherhood on the books.

However, the show took him through a different path that may or may not end up back with them. It keeps things interesting not knowing about his fate.

It's not likely that show Gendry rejoins the Brotherhood given how they parted. If he is accompanying Brienne when they re-encounter the BwB, they might deem it a betrayal that he led a Lannister agent to their doorstep. So his show fate could easily be Pod's book fate.

I could actually see Gendry briefly occupying the Iron throne, not that that would do him any favors. To crown him is to kill him, to paraphrase Illyrio about Myrcella.

The Brotherhood already sold Gendry to The Lord of Light/Melisandre, I hardly believe they expect any kind of loyalty from him. Not to mention, Brienne is still sworn to Lady Catelyn even after she leaves King's Landing (her feelings or Jaime's don't make her a Lannister agent any more than it make Jaime a Tarth agent).

• 2 months later...

I like the idea that they might merge all of Robert Baratheon's bastards into one character, and (TV show) Gendry could play Mya Stone's role helping "Alayne Stone". If they don't do this, the Gendry character will either be sidelined for several seasons with nothing to do (because both Gendry and Edric have nothing to do for several books), or he'll end up getting killed off.

I'm beginning to think Gendry might replace Jaime's squire from the books.

It should be more interesting to see those two interact together considering their respective relationships with Arya and Brienne.

Hmm, an interesting idea. I'm not sure though, I always though that Jaime's voyage would mainly revolve around his interaction with Bronn (as a replacement for Illen). Gendry would feel like a bit of a fifth wheel there IMHO.

Bronn could be a good replacement too considering their respective relationships with Tyrion.

However, most of Jaime's journey through the Riverlands covers the same territories Gendry would've to go through in order to find Arya, so it would be clever of him to go with a Lannister and for Jaime to use someone like him to find Arya Stark.

Bronn could be a good replacement too considering their respective relationships with Tyrion.

However, most of Jaime's journey through the Riverlands covers the same territories Gendry would've to go through in order to find Arya, so it would be clever of him to go with a Lannister and for Jaime to use someone like him to find Arya Stark.

I get that, but the thing is they have to stall Bronn somewhere. I mean he's a very popular character (more popular than Gendry) and they don't have many alternatives for him. Gendry however can be send away with Brienne, he could wind up in the Vale or he could be Jaime's squire. I don't think Bronn has as much credible/interesting alternatives.

• 2 months later...

Mayhaps LF did not recognize Arya at Harrenhall but thinks that Tywin's cupbearer looks like Arya but of course could not be her. How could a little girl get to Harrenhall from Kings Landing during the war? Tywin would not have Arya Stark as his cupbearer. Arya must be dead. So later when LF and Tywin are cooking up the plot to wed a fake Arya to Ramsey. LF tells Tywin to send for his cupbearer from Harrenhall as she is a dead ringer for Arya. A lightbulb then turns on over Tywin's head.

Just watched episode one of season 3 again and must revise my last post.

LF tells Sansa that he recently met with Catlyn about returning her and Arya to their mother. Sansa asks LF if Arya is alive and LF gives one of those sly LF smiles in reply. So mayhaps LF did recognize Arya and at this point in the TV show he may want to reunite Cat with both daughters to win her over to him. That may change now that Cat is dead which leads to a modification to the scene i imagined in my last post. LF may now really want to marry Arya to Ramsey to later thrump the Boltons when he produces the older daughter, the true heir. LF plays dumb and tells Tywin that his cupbearer looked like Arya while not acknowledging he thought she was Arya. Tywin then deduces she was Arya. What happens next depends on the Gendry speculation of his quest with Brienne and Jamie with Pod so that's all I got.

Archived