Why Are The Boltons Keeping Theon Alive?

I understand the value of Theon to House Bolton in that he is the only one who knows that the Stark boys are still alive, but that is precisely why Theon should have been killed from the outset. Theon being alive has cost Roose more than he is worth. Torturing him has not produced Bran and Rickon and now he is going to blab to Stannis that they are still alive, evaporating Roose's claim to Winterfell and the North.

Can anyone really give a good reason for exactly why they decided to spare Theon's life? It just seems like they would have had him executed because he knows too much....

The only reason that springs to mind immediately is that maybe Roose is trying to keep his bastard under control: he's letting him play with his new favourite toy for fear of the damage he'd cause if it was taken away from him. That's assuming that he wrote the letter demanding Reek back.

I find Reek's chapters the most disturbing of the entire series.

It just seems like an odd misstep for such a calculating man like Roose to allow such a loose end to go unattended like that. I guess he figured if he was locked away in the bowels of the Dreadfort he wouldn't be much of a liability, but then to bring Reek to Ramsay's wedding feast was foolish. I haven't read the book since 2011 so my memory on it is a little hazy but, as I recall, the reasoning of Theon being present at the wedding was so he could identify fake Jeyne as the real Jeyne, right? Well they could have done that in another way. It just seems to me that an alive Theon is much more troublesome to the Botlons than a dead one. They could have even cut out his tongue, given that they've cut off so many other parts already.

Ramsay keeps him alive for the lulz.

As for Roose, I don't really know. I think he believes that its better that Ramsay has a consistent pet, so he doesn't cause more and more trouble trying to find new ones.

It just seems like an odd misstep for such a calculating man like Roose to allow such a loose end to go unattended like that. I guess he figured if he was locked away in the bowels of the Dreadfort he wouldn't be much of a liability, but then to bring Reek to Ramsay's wedding feast was foolish. I haven't read the book since 2011 so my memory on it is a little hazy but, as I recall, the reasoning of Theon being present at the wedding was so he could identify fake Jeyne as the real Jeyne, right? Well they could have done that in another way. It just seems to me that an alive Theon is much more troublesome to the Botlons than a dead one. They could have even cut out his tongue, given that they've cut off so many other parts already.

Theon needed to be the one to give "Arya" away and thus put down (well mostly) any suspicions that Jeyne isn't the real Arya. He was also used to get the ironmen out of Moat Cailin. He is probably still alive just because Roose and everyone else are preoccupied with Stannis, Frey/Manderly tensions, and murders around the castle.

Is it possible Lord Bolton ever intended to use Theon against the Iron Islands - Moat Cailin, on a macro scale - by installing him, as he hinted, as a puppet lord? Theon instantly assumed he was lying, but actually Roose is always scrupulous about referring to him and treating him as a lord-on-paper. Maybe he really had plans for the broken puppet with the perfect claim.

He knows. When father, son and creature are alone in Lord Stout's hall, Ramsay blurts out the truth in front of Roose in a way that implies he's done so repeatedly before, and Roose quickly re-coaches him in the 'truth' that 'Lord Eddard's sweet boys were slain by Theon Turncloak.' Reek, watching, muses that Ramsay's bitches are bred to hunt particular wolves.

It's always a good thing to have a high lord as a hostage. And they've made good use of him. They got him to get the ironborn to surrender. They got him to pretend Jeyne Poole was Arya. They may have had designs of eventually taking over the Iron Islands in his name.

Yes, it's going to be a big problem if/when Theon tells Stannis at the weirwood tree that Bran and Rickon are not dead, but they already had that problem, since Ramsey let Wex escape, and the Stark boys as well.

theon is the true king of the Iron Islands and can still be useful. Also, Ramsay likes his play things and Theon/Reek is his favorite toy, for now.

I don't know how good a genital-less man would be as a potential claimant to the Seastone Chair though. It seems as if the Ironborn is a particularly macho and chauvinistic culture. They, like the Dothraki, seem to follow strength, not names, which is why they were more apt to respect and obey Asha over Theon in the first place.

Archived