Oberyn Martell Cast

fireandbl00d

so long as they show Dornish smallfolk as having a slightly darker complexion,i dont mind choosing white-latinos as royalty. TO show distinction

Hope they cast more latinos, that's exactly how I imagined them in the books. Not middle-eastern or Indian, that's just ridiculous

Wow by far the strangest posts I've read in a long while. Let's be honest. I look like Oberyn Martell more than any actor you can find (I'm not an Actor). I have a darker complexion and I'm Indian.

Also can we keep the discussion on Pedro?

Thanks!

Wow by far the strangest posts I've read in a long while. Let's be honest. I look like Oberyn Martell more than any actor you can find (I'm a medical student not an Actor). I have a darker complexion and I'm Indian.

Thanks!

Is your family from Northern India, just out of curiosity? My best-friend in high school was from Salem, India, and he was so dark many people assumed he was of African ancestry.

Wow by far the strangest posts I've read in a long while. Let's be honest. I look like Oberyn Martell more than any actor you can find (I'm a medical student not an Actor). I have a darker complexion and I'm Indian.

Thanks!

I really doubt he would look very Indian; we are talking about an olive skinned man who has a pale skinned daughter with blond hair. Spanish or in this case Spanish heritage from Chile pretty much nails the physical part. Olive skin does not really have to mean dark skinned.

Seeing as how there's a large pool of British Asian/Bollywood actors I'm actually genuinely surprised they didn't cast one as Oberyn. In my head it just makes the most sense: appearance-wise, accent-wise, and as I've mentioned the high number of choices.

Kind of like how I'm surprised they didn't

have Lady Stoneheart as the final scene of Season 3.

I really don't understand what's going on in D&D's heads anymore. Cogman for showrunner!

Martin clarified that the Dornish were a hybrid between the Welsh, (who knew?), and the Spanish, so casting a Latino or Hispanic makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think this is meant to be a slight towards Indian, or Middle Eastern fans.

Edit: My boss is Chilean, so she'll be excited.

Hope they cast more latinos, that's exactly how I imagined the

m in the books. Not middle-eastern or Indian, that's just ridiculous

No it isn't. There were many Moors living in Spain in the middle ages, the Moors owened half of Iberia at one stage, with a very similar society to that of Dorne, with advanced irrigation methods that transformed southern Spain from a very dry place to an agriculturally fertile one. I always imagined Dorne as Spain and Moroccoa and their relationship culturally.

Thanks!

I doubt you look like Oberyn more than "any actor you can find".

Thanks!

Is it you on the avatar? That's actually the look I had in mind when I read about Oberyn.

I think Pedro can be great if he gets makeup and a dark wig, as long as he is a good actor and gets a good script.

Is your family from Northern India, just out of curiosity? My best-friend in high school was from Salem, India, and he was so dark many people assumed he was of African ancestry.

Actually to be fair I am Pakistani. However my grandparents were born in India as you may be aware that the India-Pakistan Partition occurred in 1947. My mother is from South Pakistan and my father is from North Pakistan. However the southern tip of Pakistan is not as south as Salem, India. A map would do better justice than I can at explaining this though...

I really doubt he would look very Indian; we are talking about an olive skinned man who has a pale skinned daughter with blond hair. Spanish or in this case Spanish heritage from Chile pretty much nails the physical part. Olive skin does not really have to mean dark skinned.

Please research the definition of "Olive Skin". It is a spectrum and yes it does not have to mean dark skinned but dark skin is part of the spectrum. My father is much darker than I am (see Avatar) and he has a blond hair/blue eyed uncle. Plus if i marry a natural blonde/blue eyed girl it's very possible that I have children that are blue-eyed/blonde although yes it is unlikely but possible.

Seeing as how there's a large pool of British Asian/Bollywood actors I'm actually genuinely surprised they didn't cast one as Oberyn. In my head it just makes the most sense: appearance-wise, accent-wise, and as I've mentioned the high number of choices.

Kind of like how I'm surprised they didn't

have Lady Stoneheart as the final scene of Season 3.

I really don't understand what's going on in D&D's heads anymore. Cogman for showrunner!

Well we really can't question them since they've done a great job! Yeah a Bollywood actor could have done it justice but that isn't how casting works in Hollywood unfortunately. I do think Pedro will nail it though!

Martin clarified that the Dornish were a hybrid between the Welsh, (who knew?), and the Spanish, so casting a Latino or Hispanic makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think this is meant to be a slight towards Indian, or Middle Eastern fans.

Edit: My boss is Chilean, so she'll be excited.

I'm definitely not slighted by the casting, I love it. However the comments on this message board offended me.

No it isn't. There were many Moors living in Spain in the middle ages, the Moors owened half of Iberia at one stage, with a very similar society to that of Dorne, with advanced irrigation methods that transformed southern Spain from a very dry place to an agriculturally fertile one. I always imagined Dorne as Spain and Moroccoa and their relationship culturally.

I doubt you look like Oberyn more than "any actor you can find".

That's me in my avatar. Find me someone that looks more like him. Besides the age and thin eyebrows which can be alleviated through make-up. Remember the photos you find of the actors will be them with make-up already...

Is it you on the avatar? That's actually the look I had in mind when I read about Oberyn.

I think Pedro can be great if he gets makeup and a dark wig, as long as he is a good actor and gets a good script.

Yes that is me and Pedro will do amazing!!

Challenge accepted:

Antonio Banderas

Challenge completed.

I don't know ANYONE who ever once imagined Antonio Banderas as Oberyn, while reading the novels. Most people I spoke to brought up Oded Fehr to the point that it was cliche. Banderas doesn't look like my minds-eye image of Oberyn at all, but that is completely subjective. I would actually say DaenerysLover fits my imagining of him pretty well, more so than Banderas. He would just need to be aged.

Frankly, after a recent re-read of some of the books I couldn't help but imagine Alexander Siddig (most would probably know him from Kingdom of Heaven). When I voiced that, apparently numerous people had thought the same thing.

Alexander Siddig

Older Looking Alexander Siddig

The latter picture shows Siddig's age a little bit more, but I quite like him. Just what I imagined.

Edit: Meh, I retract what I say about Banderas. Thinking about him in the 13th Warrior, I guess I could see him as a decent Oberyn, though not anywhere near the top of my list.

Seems Martin chimed in on the casting. Report is over on winteriscoming.net.

Yum. Nothing sweeter than watching the Race Patrol eating their words. :drool:

Agreed. Straight from Martin:

"As for the Dornishmen, well, though by and large I reject one to one analogies, I’ve always pictured the “salty Dornish” as being more Mediterranean than African in appearance; Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, etc. Dark hair and eyes, olive skin."

So all of those people asserting that Naveen Andrew's was a truer "salty Dornish" were way way off base.

People need to have faith, the only casting I have even slightly disliked is Ciaran Hinds. Pascal looks like a passionate, creative, and driven actor, which help him with this character. His appearance is perfectly fine.

Challenge accepted:

Antonio Banderas

Challenge completed.

Handsome dude and great actor but his features aren't sharp enough to be the RV.

Unfortunately, after voicing the Puss in Shrek, that's all I think of when I think of Banderas. Maybe he can play Ser Pounce instead.

Haha

I don't know ANYONE who ever once imagined Antonio Banderas as Oberyn, while reading the novels. Most people I spoke to brought up Oded Fehr to the point that it was cliche. Banderas doesn't look like my minds-eye image of Oberyn at all, but that is completely subjective. I would actually say DaenerysLover fits my imagining of him pretty well, more so than Banderas. He would just need to be aged.

Frankly, after a recent re-read of some of the books I couldn't help but imagine Alexander Siddig (most would probably know him from Kingdom of Heaven). When I voiced that, apparently numerous people had thought the same thing.

Alexander Siddig

Older Looking Alexander Siddig

The latter picture shows Siddig's age a little bit more, but I quite like him. Just what I imagined.

Edit: Meh, I retract what I say about Banderas. Thinking about him in the 13th Warrior, I guess I could see him as a decent Oberyn, though not anywhere near the top of my list.

Siddig/Fehr are close to what I imagined too. I never see myself in roles, but for the purpose of this discussion I used myself...

Mate, worst self-declared win ever!

Lol

Seems Martin chimed in on the casting. Report is over on winteriscoming.net.

Yum. Nothing sweeter than watching the Race Patrol eating their words. :drool:

Amen

Agreed. Straight from Martin:

"As for the Dornishmen, well, though by and large I reject one to one analogies, I’ve always pictured the “salty Dornish” as being more Mediterranean than African in appearance; Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, etc. Dark hair and eyes, olive skin."

So all of those people asserting that Naveen Andrew's was a truer "salty Dornish" were way way off base.

People need to have faith, the only casting I have even slightly disliked is Ciaran Hinds. Pascal looks like a passionate, creative, and driven actor, which help him with this character. His appearance is perfectly fine.

I don't know if any of these were directed at me or if I am "race patrol", but if they are I'd like to respond to them.

1. Did you read all of GRRM's post? He mention's Amok's drawing: http://en.amokanet.ru/gallery/martin/martin_1156.html

^Look's like me except older and more deadly.

2. He mentioned a portrait of Arianne: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/33200000/asoiaf-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-33267591-1500-2000.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/a-song-of-ice-and-fire/images/33267591/title/arianne-martell-arys-oakheart&h=2000&w=1500&sz=1554&tbnid=rc1Uj4tKnHPveM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=68&zoom=1&usg=__wo_sn9ANrQzA5Cs3SZOCyl0FhDY=&docid=H_tnxbAM0qsbmM&sa=X&ei=0czVUfSMBabqiQKBoYGIBQ&ved=0CDcQ9QEwAQ&dur=495

^ she could be my sister

3. Naveen Andrew is fine although not what I see in Oberyn. India/Pakistan is not African. I love African people. Heck I love African women. However they are quite different physically than I am.

4. GRRM is a class act. He won't call out D+D and he will support them. I don't think he has publicly criticized them yet. Please correct this final point if it is incorrect.

*Disclaimer* I love Pedro's casting and I know he will do a good job. The GoT team does a great job. I'm just not going to agree with the statement that Dornish people don't look like me. Because they do. See Amok's drawing and GRRM's FULL quote.

No, wasn't about you. I was taking a jab at all the people who'd called Pedro's casting a travesty, frequently insinuating racial issues in the process. Hop over to the site I mentioned and witness the insanity first-hand. The way things are going, Martin himself is inches from being labeled racist as well.

The world according to uberfans... what a sad place that would be.

Handsome dude and great actor but his features aren't sharp enough to be the RV.

Haha

Siddig/Fehr are close to what I imagined too. I never see myself in roles, but for the purpose of this discussion I used myself...

Lol

I don't know if any of these were directed at me or if I am "race patrol", but if they are I'd like to respond to them.

1. Did you read all of GRRM's post? He mention's Amok's drawing: http://en.amokanet.r...artin_1156.html

^Look's like me except older and more deadly.

2. He mentioned a portrait of Arianne: http://www.google.co...Q9QEwAQ&dur=495

^ she could be my sister

3. Naveen Andrew is fine although not what I see in Oberyn. India/Pakistan is not African. I love African people. Heck I love African women. However they are quite different physically than I am.

4. GRRM is a class act. He won't call out D+D and he will support them. I don't think he has publicly criticized them yet. Please correct this final point if it is incorrect.

*Disclaimer* I love Pedro's casting and I know he will do a good job. The GoT team does a great job. I'm just not going to agree with the statement that Dornish people don't look like me. Because they do. See Amok's drawing and GRRM's FULL quote.

Can't speak for others, but I never saw you as the race patrol. In fact, I agreed with you on a lot of points, and I still think your appearance is fairly close to how I imagined Oberyn myself.

The race patrol to me were the people who swoop in and just say "TOO WHITE!!", or the others who seemed to take it as an act of racism on the part of D+D.

This show is an adaptation of novels, and as with any novel character we all have our own imaginings of them. The people who seem to think their vision of the character is more accurate than another person's are the people I see as acting as race police. You haven't done that at all.

Archived