[BOOK 3-5 SPOILERS] What little scenes/events SHOULD the series show that were only described second hand in the books?

Aegoner

Had a quick look but couldn't see a similar thread so I thought I'd start one. Pretty self explanatory, list your ideas on what things, no matter how big or small, the show could show in the future that have the potential to improve upon what was described second hand in the books. (No book 6 preview spoilers). Here are mine:

1. Show the death of Balon Greyjoy - a brief scene, slightly ambiguous whether he was FM assassinated or not

2. Show Arya dream-warging Nymeria to pull LS out of the river, but DON'T show her reanimation

3. Add a short scene of the seige/storming of Dragonstone, complete with a shot of a rider in the Knight of Flowers full plate armour taking boiling pitch over the head, most importantly leaving it ambiguous if it's Loras or not

4. Expand upon and show Dany losing control of her adolenscent dragons while out in the countryside hunting for food

5. Show Qyburn's 'experiments', albeit in a less obvious way than Theon's torture

Also, it occured to me the showrunners might consider giving LS the Frey who slit her throat in the show to kill, instead of Merrett for a more direct revenge.

• 1 month later...

I think Rorge raiding Saltpans would work well on screen. It would show us how much of a monster he is before Brienne ultimately meets him.

Most of the events you have described were "offscreen" in the books for a reason and should probably stay offscreen. For example, Balon's death should remain mysterious in the show. Also, I think Qyburn's experiments really are best left to the imagination.

For me:

Quentyn getting his mission from Doran (although I want them to keep it ambiguous so viewers think he is trying to usurp Arianne until he arrives in Slaver's Bay)

Balon's death and Euron crowning himself (people often forget that there was a period between Balon's death and the Kingsmoot where Euron was crowned largely unopposed)

Kevan ruling in King's Landing after Cersei is arrested, stabilising the realm

Tormund regrouping the Wildlings after Mance's defeat (and possibly a glimpse of Mother Mole)

Hardhome

Aegon and the Golden Company boarding ships

Aegon and the Golden Company landing

Euron raiding post sending off Victarion.

the siege of Dragonstone

And a not-so-little thing:

Rickon and Osha's travels (my prediction, if they do show it, is filler in the first half of season 4, Ramsay hunting them in the second half, and them going to Skagos in season 5)

Note: This is with the assumption that season 5 = half of ADwD and most of AFfC, with the remainder of those books taking up ~half of season 6. Also, this is assuming that the story is streamlined so that every storyline can be shown in some form, instead of them focusing on specific storylines and cutting others out altogether.

Maybe Arya "executing" the bard guy in Braavos. Although I wonder if that would lessen the impact of her conversation with the Kindly Man afterwards.

And maybe a couple confirmations of suspicions of cannibalism, one with Wyman Manderly and another with the CotF and Jojen.

Maybe Arya "executing" the bard guy in Braavos. Although I wonder if that would lessen the impact of her conversation with the Kindly Man afterwards.

Personally I think that's one of those scenes that works better with what's said rather than what's shown.

Completely agree with number one. I think the Season 3 finale would have been so much better if after the "Khaleesi Goes Crowd Surfing" scene, we got a quick scene of Balon walking across a bridge, when out from behind him appears Jaqen, who roughly grabs him by the shoulders and says "Valar Morghulis", then throwing him off the bridge.

Would have been a much better ending, IMO.

3. Add a short scene of the seige/storming of Dragonstone, complete with a shot of a rider in the Knight of Flowers full plate armour taking boiling pitch over the head, most importantly leaving it ambiguous if it's Loras or not

I don't exactly remember why, but when reading the book I was convinced that this didn't actually happen.

Good suggestions here. I see Balon's death being included. Nymeria pulling Cat from the river would add flavor. The raid on the Saltpans would help set up a payoff scene for Arya.

I would want to see some of the Sons of the Harpy killings, perhaps some meetings with the cloaked Harpy - leave his/her identity ambiguous for the season.

Arya and The Hound's domesticity, the books barely described what it was like for a wolf when she's raised by The Hound.

And these two would be the only parent-child dynamic we will see until Stannis brings Shireen to Eastwatch by the Sea (ETA: I know, I know, its even more creepy when she's the one singing the song).

And maybe a couple confirmations of suspicions of cannibalism, one with Wyman Manderly and another with the CotF and Jojen.

Well did that actually happen or was she trying to see if she could get away with lying to the Kindly Man? I thought that was unclear but I could be wrong. I think that if she really did kill him it would have been in her POV.

Stannis's army sailing North.

Aurane Waters taking off with the entire Royal Fleet.

Siege of Mereen and Dany dealing punishment.

Brotherhood without Banners putting a Frey/Lannister on trial.

What actually happened at Dragonstone.

Euron arriving at the Iron Islands with Balon's death.

Qyburn's experiments.

Wildlinds after the Battle at the Wall.

Everything with Bronn should either be shown onscreen in GoT or made into a spinoff series.

Agreed. Seeing Bronn foil Cersei's attempt to kill him by cheating in a joust and horrifically murdering his fallen opponent would be awesome. Such a little, inconsequential thing though. And it takes place at some random keep in the Crownlands.

Agreed. Seeing Bronn foil Cersei's attempt to kill him by cheating in a joust and horrifically murdering his fallen opponent would be awesome. Such a little, inconsequential thing though. And it takes place at some random keep in the Crownlands.

Could always move it to King's Landing, with Bronn then fleeing to an unknown location to escape any potential reprisals from Cersei.

I'm wondering if they could replace Ser Balman Byrch with someone already established, perhaps Ser Meryn Trant, as he and Bronn have already had a scene which suggests antagonism.

Balon falling--if largely because the audience doesn't really care much about Balon and might not recognize his name.

Asha kicking ass pre-Stannis fight.

More visual representation of how much Cersei has screwed up everything.

Bronn trolling everyone. Maybe he leaves until things cool down and becomes Hyle Hunt?

Bronn trolling everyone. Maybe he leaves until things cool down and becomes Hyle Hunt?

Him replacing Hyle Hunt would be a fun twist, given that he was in Catelyn's group that arrested Tyrion back in season 1. If she is with Brienne when she runs into the BWB it would be interesting to see what Catelyn does to him after he defected to the Lannisters and was essentially the reason Catelyn had to release Tyrion.

However, given the terminal illness of the guy playing Ilyn Payne my personal theory is that Bronn will replace Ilyn as Jaime's companion that trains him to fight with his left hand.

Archived