who is the hooded man in winterfell?

Muggle

Oh well. It's a new year, so once again:

- How would Osha pay for passage to Skagos for herself, Rickon and Shaggydog?

- How can you feed a direwolf and keep him calm on a ship through rough seas and stay hidden?

- Davos as a smuggler will know whom and how to ask for a wildling, a boy and a direwolf

- no proof, but I speculate that Rickon and Osha where on that ship that got shipwrecked (because a direwolf got wild?)

- Davos will find out quickly about Rickon, and might return Shaggydog's pelt as proof he's dead

- He will report to Manderly who is currently at Winterfell

- Notice how Manderly conspires with Davos on the privy in White Harbour and how Manderly goes to the privy in Winterfell (everyone goes there so no need to mention it unless it has a purpose

- Notice how Davos wants to use a dagger to kill Melisandre and how the Hooded Man reaches for his dagger instinctly

- Davos got his fingers shortened as punishment, his reply at Theon showing his fingers indicates Theon's punishment isn't over because he still lives

- OOU Davos is a POV and we are currently missing one in Winterfell

PS: I started another thread recently where I suggest the Hooded Man might be someone working for Littlefinger. The reasoning for this is:

-Littlefinger loves "only Cat" so he might have someone in Winterfell for a long time / from time to time

- the whole attempt to murder Bran has been claimed by Joffrey but the dagger was Littlefinger's. Maybe someone gave Joffrey an idea?

- Hodor was afraid of someone hiding in the crypts. Who?

- someone employed by Littlefinger could get to and into Winterfell without causing suspicion

- Littlefinger has Sansa so it is his interest to frame Roose and present a real heir to Winterfell

- so for 2015 I'll go with Lothor Brune for Hooded Man

Even Eddard Stark noticed one of the swords rusted to nothing and hoped that didn't mean one of the ghosts was not roaming around Winterfell as the swords were meant to keep them in their crypts. He even mentioned that the Lords of Winterfell had been cold, hard men. Theon mentions ghosts in Winterfell. IWhen Ned goes into the crypts he feels someone watching him too. Almost every time someone goes into those crypts there is the feeling of the old Lords of Winterfell watching them from their crypts.

It's Alliser Thorne. He has the pink letter and is taking it to the wall. He never went on the ranging Jon Snow ordered him to take

I've posited this one before in the Plot Against Jon Snow. I don't think that he went on that ranging either. I'm sure he was calling the shots for the Ides of Marsh.

I've posited this one before in the Plot Against Jon Snow. I don't think that he went on that ranging either. I'm sure he was calling the shots for the Ides of Marsh.

I do believe that is where

I got the idea, I never heard of it before. This was posted quite recently right?

I remember reading it within 2 months ago and it blew my fracking mind. I thought about it for 3 straight days. Kudos

I do believe that is where

I got the idea, I never heard of it before. This was posted quite recently right?

I remember reading it within 2 months ago and it blew my fracking mind. I thought about it for 3 straight days. Kudos

Yeah, it was pretty recent. As always, many don't agree. :)

Jon would have noticed if he didn't go on the ranging. He had to go through the tunnel under the Wall to do so. Note was Thorne alone, to desert he would have had to murder the two experienced rangers Jon sent with him, that Jon trusted to be on his side not sympathetic to Thorne. Then Thorne would have had to make his own way to a crossing point, the crossed the Wall alone.

Jon would have noticed if he didn't go on the ranging. He had to go through the tunnel under the Wall to do so. Note was Thorne alone, to desert he would have had to murder the two experienced rangers Jon sent with him, that Jon trusted to be on his side not sympathetic to Thorne. Then Thorne would have had to make his own way to a crossing point, the crossed the Wall alone.

No, I don’t think Jon would have noticed because Jon was standing on top of the wall as the parties left.

It is not beyond imagination that Thorne did not go out on the ranging. Throne had Marsh and the now deceased Slynt’s buddies at his disposal to assist him in a deception.

Let’s say that a switch occurred. When looking at a group of penguins who can tell the difference between one penguin or another penguin.

A group of men covered head to toe in black, cloaks with furry hoods pulled up over their heads, scarves wrapped around their faces with only eyeballs showing, I say, yes, a deception would be easy to pull off.

I do not think that Thorne went out on the ranging.

The motivations, reasons, language, and manner all fit Ser Alliser as the PL Author/HM - better than all the other candidates. The only problem with the theory is Alliser enters a complete POV blackhole. You would think GRRM would drop a little tiny hint of "Wall" information in Winterfell, such as Theon hearing some soldiers talking about White Walkers. You would also think GRRM would mention Theon wearing his Kraken brooch pin when he met the Hooded Man (that Roose gave him prior to Ramsay/Jeyne's Wedding), but it goes unmentioned.

Jon and Marsh's relationship did not break down until much later in the book, it is rank speculation that Marsh was willing to act against the. LC at that time.

And Jon doesn't have to personally witness something to be aware of it. He is LC and had men loyal to him. The other two rangers departing with Thorne would have not left without the man, and would have bought it to Jon's notice if Thorne was trying to disobey orders.

Alliser works better as having left the ranging and traveled to Eastwatch. One of Thorne's associates, Glendon Hewett, was left in charge at Eastwatch after Cotter Pyke went to Hardhome, and the Pink Letter ends with:

"Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it."

which sounds a lot like what Cotter said to Jon earlier in ASOS:

"Lord Snow,” said Cotter Pyke, “if you muck this up, I’m going to rip your liver out and eat it raw with onions.

But then Grenn and Pyp were both sent to Eastwatch and would probably see Thorne and tell Jon, but then again they wouldn't know Thorne was supposed to be ranging North. So I don't know. It's a very messy theory.

BigReadEyes, as said by the poster you commented on, Allister was not alone, while someone on the wall could have been mislead by the correct number of people riding out, the other rangers with him wouldn't be.

Okay, Allister, Gods I hope I am spelling the damn name correctly :dunce: get a bunch of men dressed in the same clothing, all covered up, concerned about themselves, gathering in a common place like perhaps a stable, 9 horses, 9 men and whoever else is standing around shooting the shite who would notice a switch. My theory is that Thorne did not go ranging and I'm sticking to it. :cool4:

And then someone discovers the murdered bodies of the two loyal rangers left at Castle Black and they launch a search for the missing men who are supposed to be at CB but departed in the switch? It doesn't add up.

Even the Eastwatch idea doesn't work as Thorne would have no knowledge of the change of command there. He left for the ranging before the Wall even had word of the wildlings needing rescuing, nevermind Hewitt being left in charge.

Archived