who is the hooded man in winterfell?

Muggle

There is a thread in the ADwD subforum which is currently at its fourth iteration.

Robett Glover and Theon Durden are the most popular theories at the moment, but I keep insisting it is Davos Seaworth.

Davos is supposed to be on a quest to get Rickon from Skagos isn't he? I don't think GRRM would rob us of the story of Rickon's rescue.

As mentioned by an earlier poster.

The most intrigueing aspect for me( for this chapter) is the unaccounted for missing sword(s) from the crypt.

We know some are with Brans party and we know Osha has one as well. But there is

one or more swords, missing and unaccounted for, from the Wintell crypt.

The author includes this information because it's going to play an important role later imo.

I'll be damn if i'm sure who the hm is or even if it's an aspect of Theon's tenuous grasp on sanity.

I don't think I trust Theons thoughts to be any sort of gospel, he seems too ,

"one foot in the grave", so to speak?

Brandon & Rickard Stark's swords were taken as well as the one Hodor took from an unknown King of Winter. (think these will play, or are already playing into the havoc at Winterfell).

I don't think Theon is wrong about the ghosts at Winterfell. I'm not talking about Able & his spearwives either.

Those swords are meant to keep the shades of Winterfell in their crypts and prevent them from roaming about Winterfell. Now that several have been taken, you have at least 2 spirits we know are angry, those of Lord Rickard & his son Brandon. They both died tortuous deaths. Brandon in life was known to be quick tempered anyway. The unknown King of Winterfell who's sword was taken could be one of the less amenable Kings.

Perhaps the man in the hooded cloak is one of the shades of Winter.

Bran, Osha, Meera and Hodor take the 4 swords ( this was revealed over 2 books, causing a fair amount of confusion, but was eventually settled)... But then ... in the TWoW Theon chapter,

Theon is unsure if 4 were missing, or

5 ..

GRRM is a devil.

Davos is supposed to be on a quest to get Rickon from Skagos isn't he? I don't think GRRM would rob us of the story of Rickon's rescue.

Oh well. It's a new year, so once again:

- How would Osha pay for passage to Skagos for herself, Rickon and Shaggydog?

- How can you feed a direwolf and keep him calm on a ship through rough seas and stay hidden?

- Davos as a smuggler will know whom and how to ask for a wildling, a boy and a direwolf

- no proof, but I speculate that Rickon and Osha where on that ship that got shipwrecked (because a direwolf got wild?)

- Davos will find out quickly about Rickon, and might return Shaggydog's pelt as proof he's dead

- He will report to Manderly who is currently at Winterfell

- Notice how Manderly conspires with Davos on the privy in White Harbour and how Manderly goes to the privy in Winterfell (everyone goes there so no need to mention it unless it has a purpose

- Notice how Davos wants to use a dagger to kill Melisandre and how the Hooded Man reaches for his dagger instinctly

- Davos got his fingers shortened as punishment, his reply at Theon showing his fingers indicates Theon's punishment isn't over because he still lives

- OOU Davos is a POV and we are currently missing one in Winterfell

PS: I started another thread recently where I suggest the Hooded Man might be someone working for Littlefinger. The reasoning for this is:

-Littlefinger loves "only Cat" so he might have someone in Winterfell for a long time / from time to time

- the whole attempt to murder Bran has been claimed by Joffrey but the dagger was Littlefinger's. Maybe someone gave Joffrey an idea?

- Hodor was afraid of someone hiding in the crypts. Who?

- someone employed by Littlefinger could get to and into Winterfell without causing suspicion

- Littlefinger has Sansa so it is his interest to frame Roose and present a real heir to Winterfell

- so for 2015 I'll go with Lothor Brune for Hooded Man

Oh well. It's a new year, so once again:

- How would Osha pay for passage to Skagos for herself, Rickon and Shaggydog?

- How can you feed a direwolf and keep him calm on a ship through rough seas and stay hidden?

- How can a young bastard from Pyke manage to track Osha/Rickon/Shaggy without getting noticed? Well, Wyman said that he stayed downwind all the time but when we think about it, are we reallly supposed to buy this?

I think the answer is that Rickon/Osha were soon intercepted by the Umber scouts and they took them secretly to White Harbour. Wyman himself sent them secretly on a ship to Widow's Watch and from there they were sent to Skagos.

As to why Wyman sent Davos to bring him back, I think he needs to stall him until his schemes to get rid of the Boltons come to a certain level and at the same time he is testing Davos to see what kind of a person he is.

Bran, Osha, Meera and Hodor take the 4 swords ( this was revealed over 2 books, causing a fair amount of confusion, but was eventually settled)... But then ... in the TWoW Theon chapter,

Theon is unsure if 4 were missing, or

5 ..

GRRM is a devil.

Ooh interesting. Unfortunately, I put this down to random Theon babbling at this stage, but that's a nice catch

• 4 weeks later...

Archived