who is the hooded man in winterfell?

Muggle

Personally I have been convinced of the theory that Howland Reed married Ashara Dayne and that Arthur Dayne is still alive (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/89012-howland-reed-ashara-dayne-meera-jojen/). As I believe this I have come to the conclusion that Arthur Dayne is the hooded man. I believe this as the Hooded man would not be recognised by Theon but would know all that he has done. If Dayne had been in the Neck he would have been subject to all the information in the North thanks to Howland Reed. Furthermore Dayne could be at Winterfell on Howland Reed's orders. Howland is probably involved with the other Northen lords and the Blackfish who haven't been seen in a while. They would presumably want to be disrupting Roose Boltons plans and are doing this through having a man in Winterfell and what better man could they have than possibly the most dangerous sword in the whole of Westeros but also someone who is extremely loyal and so won't get intimidated or turn to Boltons side.

Yes I recently read this theory too, and I must say it is quite convincing. It would answer a lot of questions. considering Theon Durden is the best answer to the hooded man question before.........

The Ashara part makes a lot more sense than Arthur still being alive though. I will need some more serious proof of him being alive.

Yes I recently read this theory too, and I must say it is quite convincing. It would answer a lot of questions. considering Theon Durden is the best answer to the hooded man question before.........

The Ashara part makes a lot more sense than Arthur still being alive though. I will need some more serious proof of him being alive.

Yeah me too, at first I wasn't really buying the theory he was alive. What changed my mind slightly was the line where it goes "they had found him still holding her body" I think this is a very obvious hint by GRRM that it wasn't just Howland and Ned who survived but someone else, personally I am inclined to believe that person is Arthur Dayne.

Yeah me too, at first I wasn't really buying the theory he was alive. What changed my mind slightly was the line where it goes "they had found him still holding her body" I think this is a very obvious hint by GRRM that it wasn't just Howland and Ned who survived but someone else, personally I am inclined to believe that person is Arthur Dayne.

And not the midwife Wylla, who seems far more likely?

And not the midwife Wylla, who seems far more likely?

Yeah you could be right, maybe I just want it to be some great heroic knight comradeship between Dayne and Ned but it just could easily be Wylla. But that would raise the suggestion that either Wylla went along to the fight (which would be a bit weird and has never been mentioned) or that Howland Reed went and got her, that would suggest that he went to Starfall to retrieve her, just after being involved in a fight which resulted in Arthur Dayne of Starfalls death. That surely unlikely as Starfall could easily be hostile to Reed. Furthermore what do we actually know of Wylla, all our information comes from Edric Dayne, who is very young and was not alive at the time these events happened.

Yeah you could be right, maybe I just want it to be some great heroic knight comradeship between Dayne and Ned but it just could easily be Wylla. But that would raise the suggestion that either Wylla went along to the fight (which would be a bit weird and has never been mentioned) or that Howland Reed went and got her, that would suggest that he went to Starfall to retrieve her, just after being involved in a fight which resulted in Arthur Dayne of Starfalls death. That surely unlikely as Starfall could easily be hostile to Reed. Furthermore what do we actually know of Wylla, all our information comes from Edric Dayne, who is very young and was not alive at the time these events happened.

She could've been there from the beginning with the 3 KG, as it would make sense, since they knew Lyanna was pregnant, and that they would need someone to help with the birth.

Yeah that is true. But if that is true she would have been the milk mother of Lyannas' child (who I assume is Jon). If that is the case then she would have been involved quite a bit in his early life and presumably Ned would remember her name, I think the only reason he said they but didn't mention the second person was that even when alone he didn't want to admit the truth, which I believe is Dayne is alive. I can't think of a reason why he would block out Wylla's name.

Personally I have been convinced of the theory that Howland Reed married Ashara Dayne and that Arthur Dayne is still alive (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/89012-howland-reed-ashara-dayne-meera-jojen/). As I believe this I have come to the conclusion that Arthur Dayne is the hooded man. I believe this as the Hooded man would not be recognised by Theon but would know all that he has done. If Dayne had been in the Neck he would have been subject to all the information in the North thanks to Howland Reed. Furthermore Dayne could be at Winterfell on Howland Reed's orders. Howland is probably involved with the other Northen lords and the Blackfish who haven't been seen in a while. They would presumably want to be disrupting Roose Boltons plans and are doing this through having a man in Winterfell and what better man could they have than possibly the most dangerous sword in the whole of Westeros but also someone who is extremely loyal and so won't get intimidated or turn to Boltons side.

While im not 100% on board with this I think it has some strong merit. I think Reed being married to Ashara is a real possibility. I just cant see Arthur being the hooded man. I feel there is much mystery surrounding House Dayne that will be reviled in the next two books and more in The World of Ice and Fire.

Im pretty convinced that House Dayne has in there possession the true Light Bringer also.

It would've been to obvious/fishy, as Wylla is the main culprit for Ned's mother. Also, he doesn't mention Howland by name either.

You might be right about the reasoning as to why she is not mentioned but Howland Reed is mentioned by name "The little crannogman, Howland Reed, had taken her hand from his." Chapter 4 Ned

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

robbett glover

I like this idea. It makes sense considering that Glover was the one who removed Davos from Wolf's Den and led Davos to have that secret chat with Manderly. Glover may have been the person killing people off in Winterfell. Manderly's way of causing chaos behind the walls of Winterfell.

I like this idea. It makes sense considering that Glover was the one who removed Davos from Wolf's Den and led Davos to have that secret chat with Manderly. Glover may have been the person killing people off in Winterfell. Manderly's way of causing chaos behind the walls of Winterfell.

Ehh, Robett Glover is with the rest of the Manderly army.

Otherwise who else would be leading the army?

Wylis/Wendel (I forget) is in no state and Medrick Manderly would probably be guarding White Harbour.

Would Robett Glover, one of the most important men in the North be walking around with his hood off? Yea nah.

I chuck my lot in with Theon (as Theon was Reek), Septon Chayle (if this hooded men plays no further significance, then I almost certainly think so) or generic Ryswell man 153.

It is worth noting that Arya calls herself the Ghost in Harrenhal when she is there.

In reference to the chapter being the Ghost in Winterfell.

However, Asha's chapters are called the sacrifice, which she isn't (well at least not in that chapter).

So referring to oneself as a ghost when trying to be unoticed is something that happens.

Which either supports it being his future self, or it means another ghost (someone who should be dead).

Which can certainly be Septon Chayle.

Archived