who is the hooded man in winterfell?

Muggle

A question that should be asked is why this mysterious stranger doesn't kill Theon on the spot?

Upon first reading I took what he said "I leave you to him then" as an indication that killing him would be a mercy, better to let him be tortured by Ramsay to suffer for his crimes.

Upon first reading I took what he said "I leave you to him then" as an indication that killing him would be a mercy, better to let him be tortured by Ramsay to suffer for his crimes.

So did I.But on subsequent readings I'm not so sure.Asking the question- "How is it you still breathe?"- then allowing him to still breathe seems at odds.There was no guarantee that Ramsay would torture him to the same extent,especially if he behaved as Reek.Nor was there any guarantee that-in this setting- Ramsay would live to do so.

A question that should be asked is why this mysterious stranger doesn't kill Theon on the spot?

I think for the HM = Septon Chayle theory, it can be said that Septon Chayle saw the seven remaining fingers of Theon and took it as a punishment from the Seven.

I think for the HM = Septon Chayle theory, it can be said that Septon Chayle saw the seven remaining fingers of Theon and took it as a punishment from the Seven.

Ok.Except I don't accept Septon Chayle as a contender for this post in any sense.I would put Old Nan higher on the list.

Can't it be just a... random guard?

I still do not understand why this passage is so... famous.

I came here to post the exact same thing. It's certainly fun to discuss all the "possibilities" of who it could be, and the scene was in a very eerie and atmospheric and mysterious chapter, but I honestly think the most plausible explanation is that it's a random guard or maybe even a soldier who was still kind of loyal to the Starks, but is now serving the Boltons, and while he won't oppose them cause he's merely a soldier, will still express some dislike to Theon.

Perhaps I'm confusing myself, but didn't Septon Chayle get drowned in the well as a tribute to the drowned god?

I imagine the hooded man is either a Glover, the Blackfish, or a heretofore unknown character. I would like it to be the Blackfish, but the logistics of his getting to Winterfell undetected are not encouraging.

Perhaps I'm confusing myself, but didn't Septon Chayle get drowned in the well as a tribute to the drowned god?

Theon himself pushes Septon Chayle into the well "on screen," but his body was never recovered. Upon hearing of Jojen's green dream, his response is that he's a terrific swimmer.

Because Theon himself killed him, Septon Chayle would appear as a ghost to Theon.

I imagine the hooded man is either a Glover, the Blackfish, or a heretofore unknown character. I would like it to be the Blackfish, but the logistics of his getting to Winterfell undetected are not encouraging.

Glover is known to be raising anti-Bolton forces, per the conversations that Davos hears at The Lazy Eel in White Harbor. He would be recognized in the Great Hall and would not be welcome.

Lamprey, post the ghost stuff that you put together on the other thread. I think that makes a pretty compelling case for the fact that Theon believes that he's seeing ghosts, which makes Septon Chayle a top candidate.

Lamprey, post the ghost stuff that you put together on the other thread. I think that makes a pretty compelling case for the fact that Theon believes that he's seeing ghosts, which makes Septon Chayle a top candidate.

It is already here. Though I want him to be Robb's ghost, it is equally well for me if HM is somebody who Theon thinks dead, like Septon Chayle. But I dont think Robett Glover can be HM anymore because Theon should get the news of him being alive.

Throwing my name in the hat, Harwin. Sent by Stoneheart to parlay with Manderly and all the Northern conspirators. They need to be told Stoneheart and Botherhood plan to rescue Frey prisoners using Jamie. Guessing they all have lots to discuss.

The whole Theon Durden thing would be very bad writing if true. The whole theme of Theon's story is his identity crisis - he becomes Reek, and then when he escapes Winterfell he becomes Theon again. Why bother including another dual-identity element? It would be completely pointless.

Throwing my name in the hat, Harwin. Sent by Stoneheart to parlay with Manderly and all the Northern conspirators. They need to be told Stoneheart and Botherhood plan to rescue Frey prisoners using Jamie. Guessing they all have lots to discuss.

More importantly, "Arya" is getting married. Yes, I also think it's Harwin. I also think he might have killed Little (or was it Big) Walder (Frey), and/or caused the collapsing of the stables (he was the son of the horsemaster). But the last two needn't be true for Harwin to fit best. IMO that is.

The whole Theon Durden thing would be very bad writing if true. The whole theme of Theon's story is his identity crisis - he becomes Reek, and then when he escapes Winterfell he becomes Theon again. Why bother including another dual-identity element? It would be completely pointless.

I agree. Total crackpot.

It is already here. Though I want him to be Robb's ghost, it is equally well for me if HM is somebody who Theon thinks dead, like Septon Chayle. But I dont think Robett Glover can be HM anymore because Theon should get the news of him being alive.

I've re-read this many times. Theon looks the man full in the face and doesn't recognize him. If GRRM makes it's someone Theon knew then I'll be disappointed. I suppose it's possible Theon didn't know Harwin well enough to recognize him, but I still won't like it.

I think we should also reserve the possibility it's just some random north man who was giving Theon s**t, and it doesn't mean anything.

Otherwise, I think the other floated possibilities are either too far out (Davos, Blackfish) or excluded by the fact Theon doesn't recognize them (Septon Chayle, Benjen Stark).

Archived