Why is Littlefinger revealing his plans to Sansa?

Blackfish Tully

I think Littlefinger is telling half truths at best. He is fully manipulating her and telling her what he wants her to BELIEVE. Do not trust this man, same as Varys, unless they are about to kill you then they will tell the truth but it is too late for you. Just like Ned in the the throne room. LF knew Ned would die, that is why he revealed himself to him. There was not risk.

This. He is leading her to believe he is confiding in her but it's all very calculated.

But I do believe he is underestimating Sansa.

with gold stolen from the treasury.(how else did he get so rich?)

and other from that having NOTHING to keep people loyal (not to mention should everthing he did be exposed)

true true

i wouldn't be surprised if LF drowns in a sea of betrayal and the sansa is just the final nail in the coffin

Does it matter where he got the gold ? are his sellswords going to care where the gold is coming from?

Why are Littlefinger's sellswords going to be less loyal than any of the other lords bannermen?

In Westeroes a lords bannermen are only as loyal as they need to be because they get nothing from their lords for their service. Robb's bannermen were expected to send their men to fight and die for him and they receive nothing for their service. He is not required to pay them for their service so why would they be loyal to him because if he dies they will get another lord and their lot in life does not change.

Littlefinger actually pays his bannermen so they actually get something for serving him and if something happens to him then their lot in life is worse so they will fight hard to keep him alive.

For example if Bronze Yohn calls the Vale bannermen to march on Littlefinger he is going to expect them to come because of loyalty and honor and he will not offer to pay them anything but Littlefinger will be calling the same bannermen but he will be offering them a huge sum of gold if they come to his side. How many of the lords will go to Bronze Yohn and how many will go to Littlefinger?

This. He is leading her to believe he is confiding in her but it's all very calculated.

he isn't just underestimating sansa

he underestimates the mountainclans, stannis, euron, SR and the reason peoplle might betray him

not to mention of his lack of suspicion on the royces

Littlefinger is "playing" everybody it's his nature and his entire existence is built around playing with peoples lives and playing the Game of Thrones. Do you think that Littlefinger after all he's done and the war he started and the amount of people he has killed or is responsible for their deaths he all of the sudden going to care about Sansa even if he considers her his protege. Littlefinger is a sociopath and he will use Sansa until she is no longer valuable and then he will cast her aside so hopefully she will be ready at that time to get away from him or to defeat him.

Littlefinger's mind was pretty clear when he was explaning Harry the Heir's value so if he was drunk he still was able to think clearly.

I agree with this. I don't think LF would consider Sansa being a protege. So far, she hasn't shown much, if any evidence of being cunning, plotting, or scheming. There is also the fact that Sansa has not really done anything to get out of bad situations. She didn't have a plan to get herself away from Joff, Cersei, or LF. LF got her out of KL. She just goes along with what she is told to do. She has been manipulated since she arrived in KL, and LF is still manipulating her. Why would he consider someone like that to be his protege? LF is just gloating to somebody that he knows won't do anything about it.

Does it matter where he got the gold ? are his sellswords going to care where the gold is coming from?

Why are Littlefinger's sellswords going to be less loyal than any of the other lords bannermen?

In Westeroes a lords bannermen are only as loyal as they need to be because they get nothing from their lords for their service. Robb's bannermen were expected to send their men to fight and die for him and they receive nothing for their service. He is not required to pay them for their service so why would they be loyal to him because if he dies they will get another lord and their lot in life does not change.

Littlefinger actually pays his bannermen so they actually get something for serving him and if something happens to him then their lot in life is worse so they will fight hard to keep him alive.

For example if Bronze Yohn calls the Vale bannermen to march on Littlefinger he is going to expect them to come because of loyalty and honor and he will not offer to pay them anything but Littlefinger will be calling the same bannermen but he will be offering them a huge sum of gold if they come to his side. How many of the lords will go to Bronze Yohn and how many will go to Littlefinger?

cutthroats & thugs ans sellswords and mercenaries a two diffrent pair of shoes. the former might not care where the money comes from the latter doesn't.

and let me ask you another question:

how many will abandon LF to protect their kin and smallfolk from the mountainclans?

cutthroats & thugs ans sellswords and mercenaries a two diffrent pair of shoes. the former might not care where the money comes from the latter doesn't.

and let me ask you another question:

how many will abandon LF to protect their kin and smallfolk from the mountainclans?

Sellswords and mercenaries don't have small folk so I do not believe that they will be abandoning Littlefinger because of the mountain clans.

I'm not so sure about him underestimating her. When she guessed that Lyn Cordray was working for him it had to make a light bulb go off for Littlefinger that Sansa is actually pretty bright and perceptive and he needs to keep a closer eye on her.

Partly he is trying to reveal only what he needs to for her to perform her role in his plans. But he may have erred and said too much, and underestimated how fast she is learning. I figure a good chance he will be outmaneuvered one of these days.

another fact that isn't mentioned he's drunk

I've reread the part where he tells Sansa about Lyn Cordrays being his spy and the part where he tells her about Harry the Heir and I do not see where he is drunk in either part. He is drinking some hot mulled wine with three sellswords he has hired in one of the parts but he is definitely not drunk.

Have you ever thought a girl was really, really cute, but you don't think that she's ever noticed you? So you wait and you pine and then you decide to organize the slaughter of almost her entire family, throw her into a pit of snakes, and then "heroically" yank her out of it and force her to live in anonymity and raise your bizarre adopted son after you murdered his birth mother who by the way happens to be her aunt?

What a way to win a lady's heart.

Littlefinger doesn't need her validation, he just wants it because he wants her. Cat herself said that while in her shades of color, Sansa will be even more beautiful than she ever was. He is trying to both impress her, gain her confidence, and bind her to him in these schemes so that she remains dependent on him. Something tells me the plan just won't simply be marrying Harry the Heir.

That may have a lot to do with the fact that there's a part of him which still wants to relive his youth. Sansa is both Catelyn, and the daughter they should've had I guess. He wants to impress her, wants to prove himself to her because he never got the chance to with Catelyn.

He's ignoring just how dangerous Sansa could possibly become, especially if she learns the game better.

a sansa chapter in TWOW was described as very controversial.

I dont know what the controversial part is but i think that would be pivotal to the sansa story and her knowledge of LF plans would come in handy at that time.

Howvere i dont think that LF tells sansa everything. He would tell sansa only on a need to know basis

That may have a lot to do with the fact that there's a part of him which still wants to relive his youth. Sansa is both Catelyn, and the daughter they should've had I guess. He wants to impress her, wants to prove himself to her because he never got the chance to with Catelyn.

He's ignoring just how dangerous Sansa could possibly become, especially if she learns the game better.

Yes, and his muddled feelings about Sansa will lead him to a fatal misstep.

I agree with this. I don't think LF would consider Sansa being a protege. So far, she hasn't shown much, if any evidence of being cunning, plotting, or scheming. There is also the fact that Sansa has not really done anything to get out of bad situations. She didn't have a plan to get herself away from Joff, Cersei, or LF. LF got her out of KL. She just goes along with what she is told to do. She has been manipulated since she arrived in KL, and LF is still manipulating her. Why would he consider someone like that to be his protege? LF is just gloating to somebody that he knows won't do anything about it.

I'm not sure that she needs to be cunning, plotting or scheming to defeat LF. He's the cunning, plotting and scheming one. She has strengths that he has no suspicion of. One of her strengths (at least at the current point in the story) is that she isn't like him. She will take him down in a way all her own and he will never see it coming.

I have a hard time believing that Littlefinger will throw away all of his careful planning because he is lusting over Sansa but then again powerful men have been throwing away their careers and lives for pretty girls since the beginning of time so I could be wrong.

Sansa is his Achilles' heel, all she needs to do is learn how to manipulate the situation in her favour.

On Tumblr there was a comparison between LF and Sansa to Thomas Seymour and Princess Elizabeth. Wonder if that foreshadows anything :dunno:

Lysa knew much more about LF than Sansa does and not many people think he was madly in love with her or that she was his weakness.

LF is arrogant, but he isn't that careless. He made Sansa his accomplice and isolated her from other people, she trusts him more than anyone else at the moment. Most of his "secrets" he shares with her are supposed to strengthen this bond,but he is definitely not telling her half of it.

Archived