Character you'll defend no matter what?

~DarkHorse~

I do defend the actual plot more than the characters in it.

I don't care if Ramsay is a psycho, as long as his story in not turned into a misunderstood little bastard one.

I don't care who likes or dislikes Tyrion as long as its not pretended that he's hopelessly in love with Sansa.

I don't mind whether Connington was gay or not as long as it isn't assumed he can actually survive his - fatal - condition.

And so on and so forth.

I`m very inconsistent with this, sometimes I find myself defending Theon, then Jaime, then Dany, or Catelyn. Sometimes I defend the Ironborn and Areo Hotah, hell I even had to defend Davos once...

ETA: and of course I`ll always defend the Almighty Rooseman no matter what

I'm often forced to defend the Great One from the mountain of moronic criticisms and denigration of his achievements (though to be fair, many of his supporters don't help matters). I say forced, it's sometimes rather enjoyable, and has spawned the best nickname on the boards.

I also feel obliged to do the same for Ironborn chapters (in particular those of the Damphair, less so Victarion), Quentyn and Dorne.

EDIT: Oh, and Renly! The best chance Westeros had.

Many ASOIAF fans love defending the Hound to the death, because as we all know, your sins are automatically absolved the second you kindness to a Stark...

I defend Theon's decision to betray the Starks, because I don't think he owed them anything. I also defend Roose Bolton to an extent, because the man is fucking amazing he had perfectly good reasons to betray Robb and take part in the Red Wedding.

I also defend Roose Bolton to an extent, because the man is fucking amazing he had perfectly good reasons to betray Robb and take part in the Red Wedding.

Good reasons? To be the Warden of the North, assuming that the North doesn't remember and everyone stays loyal to him?

Or what reasons, can You please explain?

Many ASOIAF fans love defending the Hound to the death, because as we all know, your sins are automatically absolved the second you kindness to a Stark...

I defend Theon's decision to betray the Starks, because I don't think he owed them anything. I also defend Roose Bolton to an extent, because the man is fucking amazing he had perfectly good reasons to betray Robb and take part in the Red Wedding.

I'm not a fan of The Hound, but I do appreciate him as a person o.ov

If you reread AGoT, during the Hand's tourney, his behavior wrt Loras and his brother really tore at my heart

But as Gregor lifted his sword for the killing blow, a rasping voice warned, “Leave him be, “ and a steel-clad hand wrenched him away from the boy.

The Mountain pivoted in wordless fury, swinging his longsword in a killing arc with all his massive strength behind it, but the Hound caught the blow and turned it, and for what seemed an eternity the two brothers stood hammering at each other as a dazed Loras Tyrell was helped to safety. Thrice Ned saw Ser Gregor aim savage blows at the hound’s-head helmet, yet not once did Sandor send a cut at his brother’s unprotected face.

True chivalry! From a man who is no ser, tyvm! Also:

The rest of the way into the city, Sandor Clegane said not a word. He led her to where the carts were waiting, told a driver to take them back to the Red Keep, and climbed in after her. They rode in silence through the King’s Gate and up torchlit city streets. He opened the postern door and led her into the castle, his burned face twitching and his eyes brooding, and he was one step behind her as they climbed the tower stairs. He took her safe all the way to the corridor outside her bedchamber.

He's not a paragon, but as I've stated before, that's the most beautiful thing about Martin's world - it's populated by people, not paragons. But, there's no reason for readers not to believe that The Hound has a kind heart (deep down beneath all that gruffness) and is as much a victim as the Starks are of the world they live in.

Seriously, this isn't Twillight: in a saga about a world filled with grey characters there's no one to "defend" as if its a matter of life and death.

They are all equally deserving - or not deserving - of their own "team" IMO.

Lol, don't be such a spoils sport.

Personally, I think there are so many characters that need to be defended- because they are 'Grey Characters' and easily misunderstood and judged harshly.

For example-

Catelyn- Some people judge her too harshly for the way she treated Jon.

Sansa- Some people blame her for getting her father killed and think of her as self-centred.

Robb- People brand him as stupid because he married Jeyne. Yet, they dismiss his admirable traits due to the outcome of his fate.

Jon- People call him boring and go so far as to say he's a Garry Stu.

Also, I'd be surprised if you haven't come across some Dany, Sansa and Tyrion hate on this forum.

This isn't about picking 'Teams' its about arguing back at misunderstood opinions (in your own eyes of course).

Catelyn Stark, the most flawless and amazing character in the entire series.

Sansa Stark, a character of sheer awesomeness, of such complexity that many can only begin to grasp.

lol, I know you're being a bit tongue-in-cheek about that, but yea, these two need to be defended quite often. I'm not sure if it's the way their POV structures work (Sansa is the last Stark introduced, and comes even after Tyrion), and/or the fact that their actions are sometimes attached to causations that don't truly exist, but I feel that my most spirited defenses on here are about those two.

To me, it's less about defending these two (or any character really) unilaterally. There's a few hotbutton issues (the Catnap, Lady's death, any correlation between "Sansa" and "betrayal") that rouse me. So I guess it's really more about specific situations in their arcs than justifications for the entirety of the their characters. Though, I will say, I do wish there were more sympathy for these two, even when their actions cannot be fully exonerated.

Archived