Game of Thrones Garners Emmy Nominations

Westeros

As much as I love The Dink's portrayal of Tyrion, if any actor was to be nominated this season, it should have been NCW. His performance was truly a standout.

I am very happy for Emilia. Unlike many fellow fans, I've always felt that her performance was decent at worst. It's not an easy role to play, especially when many of Dany's lines aren't written all that deftly, and I really think Emilia's done a fine job. The "Dracarys" scene in "And Now His Watch Is Ended" was nothing short of superb, IMO.

George RR Martin created an amazing character , that is Daenerys Stormborn! A silver haired, powerful Queen, who is in a league of her own, beautiful, interesting... and has dragons!!! There is amazing acting everywhere! Mayhaps sometimes recognition goes to a performance that is just... memorable! Emilia Clarke is memorable because she is Daenerys!!!! ANHWHE contained an epic TV moment for her. Let's be happy for GOT and our Mother or Dragons! Go Emilia!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hIqspEBi1g - 2:45 on is the reason Emilia Clarke was nominated. It was her pinnacle moment of the season and she killed. I'm happy for Dinklage as well and while I was right there with everyone else expecting that NCW would get nominated ... my disappointment is not overshadowed by the fact that I am simply grateful that GOT has garnered as many emmy nods as they have. NCW and Maise as well have plenty of time to get themselves in there. I think next year will be Dinklage's time to shine so I expect we better just get used to the fact that he will continue to always be nominated.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_hIqspEBi1g - 2:45 on is the reason Emilia Clarke was nominated. It was her pinnacle moment of the season and she killed. I'm happy for Dinklage as well and while I was right there with everyone else expecting that NCW would get nominated ... my disappointment is not overshadowed by the fact that I am simply grateful that GOT has garnered as many emmy nods as they have. NCW and Maise as well have plenty of time to get themselves in there. I think next year will be Dinklage's time to shine so I expect we better just get used to the fact that he will continue to always be nominated.

One small thing here: NCW doesn't have much left. Jaime only has little post-ASOS content. This was his season to shine, like season two was for Tyrion.

The nomination of Emilia Clarke is the proof that Emmy voters actually watch the show, for most people Lena Heady, Natalie Dormer and Michelle Farley had more showy and baity characters than Clarke.

I might just be misinterpreting what you're saying but to me it sounds like you're saying that you have to really watch the show in order to recognize Dany as a character? Something along those lines? And in comparison you'd know about Cersei, Margaery, and Catelyn are more well known to people who don't watch Game of Thrones and I completely disagree. Before I watched Game of Thrones all I knew about was Dany and the Wall and that's it. I had no idea about anything else at all. I feel like Dany is very iconic of the show and if you're not watching it the one thing you know about is usually Dany and her dragons.

I havent read much of this thread, but Im just here to rant about how mad I am that the amazing Michelle Fairly didnt get a nomination,

Though I agree that Fairley is an outstanding actress, her screen time was significantly chopped due to the expansion of Robb's story. Her only episode where she had the screen time to shine this season was at The Red Wedding. She was incredible in it, but the only time she had enough screen time to warrant a nomination was the first season.

I might just be misinterpreting what you're saying but to me it sounds like you're saying that you have to really watch the show in order to recognize Dany as a character? Something along those lines? And in comparison you'd know about Cersei, Margaery, and Catelyn are more well known to people who don't watch Game of Thrones and I completely disagree. Before I watched Game of Thrones all I knew about was Dany and the Wall and that's it. I had no idea about anything else at all. I feel like Dany is very iconic of the show and if you're not watching it the one thing you know about is usually Dany and her dragons.

I agree completely here. Dany is her own story, as is Jon's for the most part. King's Landing is the mixing bowl of the show, where most characters are brought together for joint scenes. In Dany's story, it is all on Emilia Clarke to make it memorable. Iain Glen is great, but without a good actress for Dany, Jorah would not have many fans.

Having said that, I don't think Emilia or Pete deserve the nomination over NCW. Both are good actors (Dink is absolutely fantastic and Emilia continues to improve), but their seasons didn't touch the performance by NCW throughout the season IMO.

I havent read much of this thread, but Im just here to rant about how mad I am that the amazing Michelle Fairly didnt get a nomination,

ALLL OFFF THIIIISSSS. Michelle Fairley, though her time was really limited on screen, nailed every single scene she had dialogue in.

Having said that, I don't think Emilia or Pete deserve the nomination over NCW. Both are good actors (Dink is absolutely fantastic and Emilia continues to improve), but their seasons didn't touch the performance by NCW throughout the season IMO.

I agree. I was so pissed when I heard Nikolaj didn't get it. This was Jaime's season.

Though I agree that Fairley is an outstanding actress, her screen time was significantly chopped due to the expansion of Robb's story. Her only episode where she had the screen time to shine this season was at The Red Wedding. She was incredible in it, but the only time she had enough screen time to warrant a nomination was the first season.

Don't actors get nominated for their performance in a single episode? That's how I think it works.

Emilia and Diana Rigg were nominated for "And Now His Watch Is Ended" and Peter for "Second Sons".

http://www.goldderby.com/cms/view/288/

Don't actors get nominated for their performance in a single episode? That's how I think it works.

Emilia and Diana Rigg were nominated for "And Now His Watch Is Ended" and Peter for "Second Sons".

http://www.goldderby.com/cms/view/288/

No, they simply use a single episode as a showcase. Their nomination is meant to speak for the entire season (though that can vary depending on the award). The chosen episode is what will be used to speak for the actor's talent, but the nomination/award represents their work over the whole season.

GoT was awarded best drama by the Television Critics Association. I don't how much this counts towards the Emmys, seeing how Tatiana Maslany won the TCA award for best individual performance in a drama, and she wasn't even nominated for the Emmys.

No, what I'm saying is that the characters of Cersei, Catelyn and Margaery are more tailor-made for award recognition than the one of Danaerys Targeryen and is much more likely that academy voters are more familiar with the work of Natalie Dormer (The Tudors), Lena Heady (the Oscar nominated film The Remains of the Day, 300, Terminator: The Sarah Connor's Chronicle) and Michelle Fairley (The Others, Harry Potter). Remember that not everybody is a fan boy/girl of the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

GoT was awarded best drama by the Television Critics Association. I don't how much this counts towards the Emmys, seeing how Tatiana Maslany won the TCA award for best individual performance in a drama, and she wasn't even nominated for the Emmys.

GoT has won the two critics award: Critic Choice TV Awards (tie with Breaking Bad) and now the TCA for Best Drama Series.

The only actors on the show who's performances I regard Emmy-worthy are Dinklage in Seasons 1 and 2, Fairley in season 1, Headey in season 2, Allen in season 2, and NCW in season 3. And Martin totally deserved a writing nom for Blackwater, and perhaps Alan Taylor a directing nom for Baelor or Valar Morghulis, Alex Graves for his two episodes, or Neil Marshall for Blackwater.

The only actors on the show who's performances I regard Emmy-worthy are Dinklage in Seasons 1 and 2, Fairley in season 1, Headey in season 2, Allen in season 2, and NCW in season 3. And Martin totally deserved a writing nom for Blackwater, and perhaps Alan Taylor a directing nom for Baelor or Valar Morghulis, Alex Graves for his two episodes, or Neil Marshall for Blackwater.

Come on! Addy and Bean were excellent in the first season. Addy had that jovial, yet pain-behind-the-eyes that brought Robert to screen perfectly! Though I do agree with your choices for the most part. Not everyone can win, unfortunately.

Come on! Addy and Bean were excellent in the first season. Addy had that jovial, yet pain-behind-the-eyes that brought Robert to screen perfectly! Though I do agree with your choices for the most part. Not everyone can win, unfortunately.

Yeah they were great as well(the whole cast is, for the most part) but the ones I listed were those that I found to be standouts, and even better than the other performances on the show. You're right, not everyone can win or be nominated, and I felt that my picks were the ones who had the best chance to be nominated for an Emmy.

That being said, the Emmys are driven by backstage politics and the backstage pull of producers, so their picks can be taken with a grain of salt.

Archived