Game of Thrones Garners Emmy Nominations

Westeros

All this talk about Breaking Bad makes me think that I shouldn't have given up on that show after two seasons. :D

This is, of course, an opinion, but the show goes a bit downhill after. People are treating S5 like the greatest thing ever, and it is quite enjoyable, but it's not hands down the greatest thing ever made like people will lead you to believe. The ending was also a bit disappointing. The show was best to me when Walt struggled to become Heisenberg, not so much the reverse.

@ Khal-a-bunga

There have been plenty of fantastic essays written about the appalling, inconsistent, trope-filled characterisation in Game of Thrones, and I'm not sure what else I can add to it.

I dearly hope that you don't count that horrible excuse for an essay written by a certain TV critic and circulated around here as one of those. That was among the most wretched things I've ever read coming from someone describing himself as a professional TV critic.

Anyway, I'm not certain why you feel the need to involve third parties in your argument against Khal-a-bunga. So OK, some people support your view, what of it? Some don't.

Also, as soon as I come upon words like "soap-opera", "cliche", "caricature", etc., I tend to tune out. More often than not, people using them either have no idea what those words mean or they're using them to give their critisisms a veneer of objectivity and thought-out-ness (yay for the word!)

I dearly hope that you don't count that horrible excuse for an essay written by a certain TV critic and circulated around here as one of those. That was among the most wretched things I've ever read coming from someone describing himself as a professional TV critic.

Anyway, I'm not certain why you feel the need to involve third parties in your argument against Khal-a-bunga. So OK, some people support your view, what of it? Some don't.

Also, as soon as I come upon words like "soap-opera", "cliche", "caricature", etc., I tend to tune out. More often than not, people using them either have no idea what those words mean or they're using them to give their critisisms a veneer of objectivity and thought-out-ness (yay for the word!)

I have no idea which essay you're referring to - I'm talking about the hundreds of other essays I've seen from fans of the book and even fans of the show criticising the characterisation.

And honestly, what are you even talking about? I didn't "involve" any "third parties". I just mentioned that I'm not going to bother going into detail about all the problems with the show's characterisation when plenty of others have already done the same, and I'm sure Khal-a-bunga has already heard all the arguments and still disagrees with them.

Oh, and FYI, I was certainly not the first to use the word "caricature". My post was specifically in response to Khal-a-bunga criticising Breaking Bad for turning Jesse into a "caricature" and side-lining characters, when Game of Thrones has been HEAVILY criticised for doing the same on a much larger scale. I can't help but feel that anyone defending the show's characterisation is probably struggling to separate the show from the books, because if you watch the show as a single entity then the characterisation (starting in the second season) is quite clearly weak.

But seriously, if you "tend to tune out" when you read those words, don't bother posting anything in an argument specifically involving those words.

I have no idea which essay you're referring to - I'm talking about the hundreds of other essays I've seen from fans of the book and even fans of the show criticising the characterisation.

And honestly, what are you even talking about? I didn't "involve" any "third parties". I just mentioned that I'm not going to bother going into detail about all the problems with the show's characterisation when plenty of others have already done the same, and I'm sure Khal-a-bunga has already heard all the arguments and still disagrees with them.

Oh, and FYI, I was certainly not the first to use the word "caricature". My post was specifically in response to Khal-a-bunga criticising Breaking Bad for turning Jesse into a "caricature" and side-lining characters, when Game of Thrones has been HEAVILY criticised for doing the same on a much larger scale. I can't help but feel that anyone defending the show's characterisation is probably struggling to separate the show from the books, because if you watch the show as a single entity then the characterisation (starting in the second season) is quite clearly weak.

But seriously, if you "tend to tune out" when you read those words, don't bother posting anything in an argument specifically involving those words.

Game of Thrones has been heavily criticized here, and mostly by ardent book fans. Where are some links to these "hundreds of other essays"? Do you even know what caricature means? And considering that the characters on Game of Thrones are one of its most lauded aspects, I'd say you're talking out of your ass. What are some examples of the characterization in the show being weak? In what way? Be specific. And don't talk about the books. And let's keep in mind that the show hasn't even aired its fourth season, out of a proposed eight seasons, so it isn't even half finished yet. Purists love to use their knowledge of all the books to criticize the show for not developing the characters correctly, but by and large, these are all things that are almost certain to develop as the show continues.

And seriously, I can hardly take you serious if you're going to praise the character development in Breaking Bad and criticize the same in Game of Thrones. It's such a clear and obvious bias. Walt and Gus are the only characters given any real depth on the show, though Jesse and Mike are fairly well-developed. Skylar, Hank, and Marie are given a few characteristics each, but really their job is simply to react as the plot dictates. Saul, Badger, Skinny Pete, Lydia, Todd, Uncle Jack, etc. - all one-note characters, with little to no development. You might not like how Stannis has been adapted, but he's certainly been given more depth on Game of Thrones than the vast majority of the characters in Breaking Bad. And, keep in mind, this is coming from someone who considers Breaking Bad to be a better show than GoT overall, at the moment (it is over double the length for the time being, so that's to be expected). You hate how the characters in the show are being written and adapted as compared to their counter-parts in the book series, that's as clear as day. Also, this...

@ Khal-a-bunga

Jesse was in a very specific place as a character for most of the season, but he was always changing and growing (unlike the vast majority of GoT characters). After Jane's death he ends up in rehab and can't forgive himself, then he has to kill Gale and he feels even worse, and then Walt manipulates him into helping him kill Gus (that's why their relationship is strong at the beginning of the fifth season). Finally, after the success of the train heist, he watches Todd shoot a child. That changes everything.

...is hilarious. It actually changes nothing. You have seen the show, right? It, once again, plays the same card the show has played twice before with these characters. If this counts as good character development, then I fail to see how you can call the same on GoT "weak and inconsistent" and "driven by tropes". What tropes are those? Is the character inconsistent within the show, or inconsistent with your fundamentalist perspective on how the character should be portrayed?

• 2 months later...

Since I can't open threads here, and I don't see this piece of news posted anywhere, I'll post it here. The Satellite Awards nominations by the International Press Academy have been released, and GoT has been nominated in three categories: Emilia Clarke for Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Movie made for TV; Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Actor in Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Movie made for TV; and the show itself for best Television Series or Miniseries, Genre.

Full list of nominees: http://www.pressacademy.com/award_cat/current-nominees/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Anara! I hope Nikolaj gets the award: he did such a great job this season. On the other hand, I don't want to be mean, but I don't understand how Emilia is getting so many nominations. If I had to rank Game of Thrones actresses, she would be at the bottom of the list, I can tell you that. I like the performances of Michelle, Lena, Rose or even Sophie and Maisie over hers.

• 2 months later...

Since I can't open threads here, and I don't see this piece of news posted anywhere, I'll post it here. The Satellite Awards nominations by the International Press Academy have been released, and GoT has been nominated in three categories: Emilia Clarke for Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Movie made for TV; Nikolaj Coster-Waldau for Actor in Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Movie made for TV; and the show itself for best Television Series or Miniseries, Genre.

Full list of nominees: http://www.pressacademy.com/award_cat/current-nominees/

Since these pieces of news haven't been posted anywhere, I'll just do it here. GoT won the Satellite award for Best Television Series or Miniseries, Genre.

http://www.pressacademy.com/award_cat/satellite-awards/

"Rains of Castamere" won the Cinema Audio Society award for sound mixing.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/02/the-rains-of-castamere-wins-at-cinema-audio-society-awards/

Also, the Saturn award nominations were announced a few days ago, and GoT has five nominations.

Best Television Presentation of a Limited Run Series

Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series – Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series – Gwendoline Christie, Michelle Fairley

Best Performance by a Younger Actor in a Television Series – Jack Gleeson

http://www.saturnawards.org/nominations.html

For season 4, at the next emmys, i can honestly see, two or three actors all getting picked for supporting actor positions:

Based on what is up for the characters this season:

Male: Supporting actor

• NCW: Jamie Lannister
  • Peter Dinklage: Tyrion Lannister
  • Charles Dance: (If he allows himself to be nominated)
  • Kit Harrington: Jon Snow

Female: Supporting actor

• Emilia Clarke:
  • Lena Heady:
  • Sophie Turner:

these could all be viable for the award

For season 4, at the next emmys, i can honestly see, two or three actors all getting picked for supporting actor positions:

Based on what is up for the characters this season:

Male: Supporting actor

• NCW: Jamie Lannister
  • Peter Dinklage: Tyrion Lannister
  • Charles Dance: (If he allows himself to be nominated)
  • Kit Harrington: Jon Snow

Female: Supporting actor

• Emilia Clarke:
  • Lena Heady:
  • Sophie Turner:

these could all be viable for the award

Kit and Sophie would have to really step up their games.

Eh. I'm guessing 1-2 acting noms. Esp with Olenna/Rigg being a regular now, thus presumably blocking her from being labelled a Guest.

Tyrion has a decent shot at an actual win.

Emilia Clarke if they're lazy as she doesn't really have anything nearly as interesting as siccing her dragons on slavers. Lena Headey if the writers give her more to work with in terms of anger/grief about the Purple Wedding; in the book she mostly just comes off as bitchy and playing games with Jaime.

If HBO has to pay 150.000$ for each category they wish to be nominated in, I can understand they'd want to limit which of their actors they put forth for nominations. And if it's the actors themselves who need to pay for their nominations, I can understand why some might not decide a nomination is worth it untill they become A-List cash cow celebrities.

I think people like Charles Dance, Jack Gleeson, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Gwendolyn Christie, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Natalie Dormer, Aidan Gillen could all potentially earn nominations for acting on the show. Peter Dinklage already has so many noms and awards that it's difficult to root for him to get yet another nomaination for being on the show.

Archived