Filming in Iceland

Westeros

Filming in Iceland has commenced, as reported recently, and it looks like it’ll run for a couple of weeks. Of course, Iceland in the summer can look very different from Iceland in the winter… and it seems that the production is really using it to its advantage, because all signs point to it representing regions much nearer to King’s Landing than in the past. Reports of Maisie Williams and Gwendoline Christie both being spotted in Reykjavik have been confirmed, and it’s unlikely to be a coincidence (though that can’t be ruled out).

The last we saw of Arya, she was in the riverlands with Sandor Clegane, while Brienne of Tarth was last in King’s Landing…. but we’ve some speculations below (with spoilers):read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Apparently one of the locations they're using has a lot of geothermal activity. Maybe we'll be seeing the Valley of Thenn early into the season as an introduction to the Magnar?

I find it surprising that no one has suggested that Iceland is being used to film Maisie's scenes in the Vale.

Yes, I know she and the Hound don't get very far and they spend a relatively brief amount of time there in the books, but the initial plan was to sell Arya to Lysa. With Lysa being the only family Arya has left and the Vale becoming a more significant player in the storyline again, I cannot see the writers skipping this part of her journey. As Arya traveling around the Riverlands for the third season in a row is starting to get a little dull (and I still doubt they're introducing Braavos this season), I wouldn't be surprised if Arya's storyline here has been significantly expanded.

With Sansa travelling to the Vale as well, I can definitely see D&D teasing the TV audience with a reunion between the Stark sisters, only for the Mountain Clans (armed with the steel Tyrion gave them) to ruin things, mid-way through the season. With nowhere to go, Arya and the Hound are forced to go back to the Riverlands, leading to the confrontation at the Cross Roads Inn around episode 7 or 8. It would reinforce the theme of Arya's growing despair (making no progress no matter how hard she tries to reach her destination) as well as continuing to remind audiences of the Vale and everything connected to it back in Season 1. It will be necessary to provide some set-up for "Only Cat" and expanding all the characters' time spent in the Vale might be a subtle way of doing this.

I'm not sure it's going to be used to represent one particular area -- they may represent several different places using Iceland. Like the Ting area, that could be riverlands-like, while those valleys might be the Vale... who knows, really.

But, lets say it's being used just for the Vale... I'd take this to mean that Brienne, instead of going through an area we've never heard of before, will instead go to the Vale (for some reason) to hunt for Sansa. They might find that narratively easier than Crackclaw Point.

I'm not sure it's going to be used to represent one particular area -- they may represent several different places using Iceland. Like the Ting area, that could be riverlands-like, while those valleys might be the Vale... who knows, really.

But, lets say it's being used just for the Vale... I'd take this to mean that Brienne, instead of going through an area we've never heard of before, will instead go to the Vale (for some reason) to hunt for Sansa. They might find that narratively easier than Crackclaw Point.

Yes this makes sense.

Apparently D and D love Iceland, and using it for both south of the Wall and north of the Wall locations makes sense.

I wonder if they are going to do two shoots in Iceland?

I wish someone would confirm, for sure, that Morocco, is out. This leaves budget for more time in Iceland.

(Maybe they get a better tax break there than Morocco?)

Anyway , the Wildling 'army' should have moved closer to the Wall and be in more wooded area now, so not sure they need total ice-snow bound settings any more. I expect tho that a lot of the Wall action is going to take place in Northern Ireland.

Iceland is stunning and incredibly diverse from a terrain standpoint. But no trees. I went in July 2007 and there were plenty of glaciers still hanging out, so they could be doing some winter scenes too.

My money is on Osha and Rickon scenes on their journey to the Umbers.

It's entirely possible that Brienne and Pod might be filming only one or two scenes for the season finale, given that Jaime would probably send Brienne away in episode 8 or 9. I don't think they'll delve much into Brienne's AFFC material in season 4. It depends on how long Gwen Christie is filming in Iceland for.

It's entirely possible that Brienne and Pod might be filming only one or two scenes for the season finale, given that Jaime would probably send Brienne away in episode 8 or 9. I don't think they'll delve much into Brienne's AFFC material in season 4. It depends on how long Gwen Christie is filming in Iceland for.

It'll probably be like Jaime/Brienne at the end of season 2 where they just dip their feet into that storyline.

People seem to be thinking that it's Gendry that's been seen in Iceland and not Pod. Could he be the replacement companion if so?

No, he's definitely the actor who plays Pod. I don't know what they'll do with Gendry at this point, but he's certainly not with Brienne and Pod.

I heard they were filming for 2 weeks, but I can't remember where I read it so I might be totally off.

If the PW is early in the season, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be, I could see Jaime sending Brienne on her quest by episode 5 or so.

It's possible, however this is a bit of an issue as if they use the whole Brienne's AFFC material during season 4, she'll have nothing to do in season 5...

Archived