Val's Eyes(potential crackpot)

Pinkie Baelish

Tormund and Roose take down the new Nights King, Roose

"Because he's the hero that Westeros deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... The Leech Lord"

There are to my count four times when characters eye color have changed throughout the course of the books:

Two were both made during Sansa's point of view and both had to do with characters that she thought were very attractive but it is safe to say they probably had little interest. As stated above when she first saw Renly she described his eyes as green, matching his armor. Of course all subsequent descriptions put his eyes as blue like his brothers. When she first sees Loras during the Tournament of the Hand she describes his eyes as golden. All other POVs describe Loras as having brown eyes like his sister. This could be a mistake by the author or it could be a subtle hint as to Sansa's observational ability especially when she is observing people she is enamored with.

Another character whose eyes change is Qyburn. When Jaime first sees him as his stump is being operated on in Harrenhall, Jaime describes Qyburn as

a grey-haired, fatherly man...Qyburn did not look like a monster...He was spare and soft-spoken, with warm brown eyes.

When Cersei first meets Qyburn at King's Landing she thinks

His face was vaguely familiar, though Cersei could not place him. Old, but not so old as Pycelle. This one has some strength in him still. He was tall, though slightly stooped, with crinkles around his bold blue eyes.

So from soft and brown to bold and blue. Qyburn comes across as warm and comforting to Jaime but as bold and decisive to Cersei.

Unlike the other three examples the change in eye color of Val all comes from Jon's POV:

First in ASOS when Jon first meets Val he only describes her as

a pretty blond woman
. When he next meets her it is during his attempt to parly with Mance during the siege at the Wall, there he describes her as
Val looked at him with pale grey eyes...She was as fair as he'd remembered, slender, full-breasted, graceful even at rest, with high sharp cheekbones and a thick braid of honey-colored hair that fell to her waist.
It's interesting to note that despite Jon's quick almost dismissive view of her in his first meeting, his second meeting makes the reader believe she made a big impression on him when he first saw her. And during the second meeting he does indeed seem very attracted to her.

Then in ADWD as they are burning the "Horn of Joramun" Val is present and Jon describes her as

Val stood beside him, tall and fair. They had crowned her with a simple circlet of dark bronze, yet she looked more regal in bronze than Stannis did in gold. Her eyes were grey and fearless, unflinching. Beneath an ermine cloak, she wore white and gold. Her honey-blond hair had been done up in a thick braid that hung over her right shoulder to her waist. The chill in the air had put color in her cheeks.
. So now Jon is viewing her as regal and fearless. And once again her eyes are described as grey.

Then Jon views her up on the battlements above the King's tower, here Jon thinks

She looks lonely, ... Lonely, and lovely...Val did not need to smile; she would have turned men's heads in any court in the wide world.
Notice the evolution of Val from a "pretty blond girl" to in Jon's eyes what must be a legendary beauty with a regal bearing.

Later in ADWD Jon sees Val off as she goes to look for Tormund in the Haunted Forest past the Wall

The light of the half-moon turned Val's honey-blond hair a pale silver and left her cheeks as white as snow
Here her associations to the cold and the moon are highlighted. Here is also where we see almost a light hearted and playful side of Val where she even talks fondly of the babe, "the little monster". She also laughs lightly even when she chides Jon about not knowing what real cold is, the cold the Others bring.

As she leaves she tells Jon, "This is farewell then." Jon takes it for a bad joke and shows his irritation with her, reminding her that he expects her to return for the baby she seems fond of if nothing else. Val laughs it off and then asks Jon if he remembers the lesson her "sister", Dalla gave him, the fact that sorcery is a sword without a hilt.

When she does "return" she has discarded her old brown and grey bearskin cloak for a white bearskin cloak, but that is not the only thing about her that appears to have changed, once again in ADWD in Jon's POV:

Then Ghost emerged between two trees, with Val bside him. They look as though they belong together. Val was clad all in white; white woolen breeches tucked into high boots of bleached white leather, white bearskin cloak pinned at the shoulder with a carved weirwood face, white tunic with bone fastenings. Her breath was white as well...but her eyes were blue, her long braid the color of dark honey, her cheeks flushed red from the cold. It had been a long while since Jon Snow had seen a sight so lovely.

I find it hard to believe that the change in her eye color was a "mistake" by Martin at this point. When Val returns there is a change about her. She has adopted to the pure white colors of the Others. Even her eyes are now blue also mirroring the coloring of the Others. Her cryptic farewell to Jon as she left previously may have referred to the fact that when he next sees her she will not be as she was before. Likewise her reminder of her sister's warning of dealing with sorcery is probably significant as well.

But did Dance not come out 11 years or so after Sword? It's just a silly eye colour, just like a horse changed gender, too.

Val's eyes are again described as grey early in a Dance With Dragons, it's when she returns from north of the wall later in the book that they are described as blue along with her conspicuous change in attire.

I'm not sure about this but I'm inclined to think it was just a mix-up. I read today where Hyle Hunt and company played their trick on Brienne at Harrenhal. There's also the fact that Jon, having fought a killed a wight in the past, didn't give a second thought to the fact that her eyes were suddenly blue. Then again, this would be some less subtle foreshadowing than GRRM has used in the past, so who knows?

• 5 months later...

Just reread this part in the book and noticed it for the first time. Looked this up, but looks like I'm a little behind on this subject.

does the original grey eyes mean she has stark blood? and why is jon snow attracted to wildings?

The NW portion of the vow I would have the hardest time with is the bit about not making any sons or taking any wives. And I don't think it's that they're wildlings. It's just that they are women, they are attractive, and Jon has a penis.

I'd sleep with Val given half the chance. Hell, I'd probably sleep with Cersei...and I hate her guts. I'd sleep with Dany, and she's an exile and has three dragons. The likelihood of a man getting killed if he involved himself with Daenerys are significantly high, but I think Jon, like the rest of us guys (and some girls), would be willing to take that risk.

So again, it has nothing to do with them being wildlings. There just aren't many women hanging around that far north and Jon is a man. So you can't really hold it against him. Plus, Val is gorgeous (in my mind at least).

Yes, Jon will be Jon of houses Stark and Targaryen,First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of The Realm, Lord Commander of The Nights Watch, King Beyond the Wall and King of the Others. All while riding three dragons at the same time, warged into Ghost of course. It is known.

I'm still reading the thread, but I just wanted to say that I just think GRRM uses the grey colored eyes as a way to describe a certain shade of blue eyes, that's how I always took it. Now, take people like The Bolton's, Roose and Ramsey both, and there is something really weird about their pale, almost colorless eyes.

When it comes to some of the Starks and Val being described as having eyes of grey, I just think it means a shade of blue, not to be confused with that Tully blue, or a baby blue, etc. I have blue eyes, not baby blue eyes as they are more like sapphires.....but clothing and lighting can make them seem anything from almost that Tully blue to grey to maybe even black at times, LOL I really just think it's a description that GRRM has picked for certain shades of blue eyes.

Archived