The Best Quote in the Whole series?

Spotted Cat

Probably the line I laughed hardest at;

After that, the dwarf girl was seen more frequently above deck. The next day Tyrion encountered her and her spotted sow amidships in midafternoon, when the air was warm and the sea calm. “Her name is Pretty,” the girl told him, shyly.

Pretty the pig and Penny the girl, he thought. Someone has a deal to answer for.

"We'll never find that one, and I'll be blamed. Nothing ever goes missing that they don't look at me, ever since that time I lost my horse. As if that could be helped. He was white and it was snowing, what did they expect?"

And anything else that comes out of Dolorous Edd's mouth.

The rather lengthy but rousing Manderly declaration of intent:

“Foes and false friends are all around me, Lord Davos. They infest my city like roaches, and at night I feel them crawling over me.” The fat man’s fingers coiled into a fist, and all his chins trembled. “My son Wendel came to the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder’s bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with his friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter…but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.”

Or Stannis' best put down.

“Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold cloaks, sire?”

“Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.”

No sword is strong until it’s been tempered, The Stark boy is a child. No doubt he likes the sound of warhorns well enough, and the sight of his banners fluttering in the wind, but in the end it comes down to butcher’s work. I doubt he has the stomach for it.

- Tywin Lannister before battle of the Whispering Wood

"My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel"

"Cersei is as gentle as King Maegor, as selfless as Aegon the Unworthy, as wise as Mad Aerys. She never forgets a slight, real or imagined. She takes caution for cowardice and dissent for defiance. And she is greedy. Greedy for power, for honour, for love"

"Cersei, for one. She thinks herself sly, but in truth she is utterly predictable. Her strength rests on her beauty, birth, and riches. Only the first of those is truly her own, and it will soon desert her. I pity her then. She wants power, but has no notion what to do with it when she gets it"

"Her name was Elia of Dorne! Say her name!"

"You know nothing Jon Snow"

When I was a lad, we only ate mice on special feast days. I was the youngest, so I only got the tail. There's not meat on the tail.

Your boats not like to sink. Boats only sink when I'm aboard.

I knew a brother who drown himself in wine once. It was a poor vintage and his corpse didn't improve the taste. You drank the wine? It's an an awful thing to find a brother dead. You'd have need of a drink too.

Archived