The Best Quote in the Whole series?

Spotted Cat

From the books, ASoS :

Jaime went clinking down the dock, put a shoulder to the door, shoved it open...

... and found himself eye to eye with a loaded crossbow. Standing behind it was a chunky boy of fifteen.

The boy looked suspiciously at the coin, and then at Jaime’s manacles. “Why’s this one in irons?”

“Killed some crossbowmen,” said Jaime.

From the show, "I am the god of tits and wine", Tyrion.

"All you have I gave you. You would do well to remember that, bastard. As for this … Reek … if you have not ruined him beyond redemption, he may yet be of some use to us. Get the keys and remove those chains from him, before you make me rue the day I raped your mother."

Roose Bolton owning his bastard.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

Stannis Baratheon

"And now it begins"

"No. Now it ends"

This one and :

Edd, fetch me a block.

From the show: "My real father lost his head in King's Landing."

This one and :

You want to know the horrible truth? I can't even remember what she looked like. I only know she was the one thing I ever wanted. Someone took her away from me, and seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind.

"We'll never find that one, and I'll be blamed. Nothing ever goes missing that they don't look at me, ever since that time I lost my horse. As if that could be helped. He was white and it was snowing, what did they expect?"

"Edd, fetch me a block."

From Bran I, GOT:

"Ass" - Jon Snow, talking about Theon.

"Woe to the Usurper if we had been." Ser Oswell

Woe indeed.

^5 Aerys was a horrible king but his Kingsguard was some badasses(excluding Jamie), they stood tall till the very end. They were the last great knights in Westeros

"I want death and destruction to befall House Lannister" Jon Snow cause the North remembers

Not exactly a quote but Theon thinking of Robb...

"And Robb. Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

"I am nor threatening the king, Ser, i am educating my nephew. Bronn, Timett, the next time Ser Boros opens his mouth, kill him." The dwarf smiled, "Now that was a threat Ser. See the difference?"

(makes me laugh everytime.)

"I have made more mistakes than you can possibly imagine, " Ned said, "but that was not one of them."

"Oh, but it was, my lord," Cersei insisted, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably and Rhaegar died."

These last two define the series for me, nice guys will always finish last, but somehow i can't stop rooting for them!

"Renly was brave and gentle, grandmother," said Margaery. "Father liked him as well, and so did Loras."

"Loras is young," Lady Olenna said crisply, "and very good at knocking men off horses with a stick. That does not make him wise. As to your father, would that I'd been born a peasant with a big wooden spoon, I might have been able to beat some sense into his fat head."

That's my all-time favorite.

From Septon Meribald:

"The War of the Ninepenny Kings?" asked Hyle Hunt.

"So they called it, though I never saw a king, nor earned a penny. It was a war, though. That it was"

Actually, that whole speech by Meribald (didn't want to hash up the thread with the whole quote) is the most eloquent passage in all the books so far IMO.

The Blackfish and Jaime outside Riverun

"Are there any terms you will accept?" he demanded of the Blackfish.

"From you?" Ser Brynden shrugged. "No."

"Why did you even come to treat with me?"

"A siege is deadly dull. I wanted to see this stump of yours and hear whatever excuses you cared to offer up for your latest enormities. They were feebler than I'd hoped. You always disappoint, Kingslayer." The Blackfish wheeled his mare and trotted back toward Riverrun.

The best quote is

:

War seems like a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know. Then they get a taste of battle.

For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they’ve been gutted by an axe.

They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that’s still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they’re fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it’s just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don’t know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they’re fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad in all steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world…

And the man breaks.

Top three quotes.

"'Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King.'

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. 'Your Grace, you cannot… I am not fit man to be a King's Hand.'

'There is no man fitter.' Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

'I am lowborn,' Davos reminded him. 'An up jumped smuggler. your lords will never obey me.'

'Then we will make new lords.'"

"Weddings have become more perilous than battles, it would seem."

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men.

Archived