Dany wouldn't be hated if GRRM had kept the 5-year gap

lol, brah those are boltons men inside of winterfell. Stannis didnt come to save them, he came to kill them and put a stark back in winterfell.

Ah my mistake brah, I assumed it was when Stannis was at the Wall and that was when the NW and Kingsmen were chanting his name. Either way, no one was chanting his name in fear, and I guarantee you when Dany showed up with her army at Mereen, her name passed from every lip, we just didn't have the PoV of a tortured former noble to enlighten us on it. If it's a question of who is feared most, I think dragons get the gold.

Ah my mistake brah, I assumed it was when Stannis was at the Wall and that was when the NW and Kingsmen were chanting his name. Either way, no one was chanting his name in fear, and I guarantee you when Dany showed up with her army at Mereen, her name passed from every lip, we just didn't have the PoV of a tortured former noble to enlighten us on it. If it's a question of who is feared most, I think dragons get the gold.

There's also the possibility that no one knew her name until she actually took over,Which is far more likely.

Pretty sure Stannis Bamfatheon is a user name i made up two years ago and not a declarative statement I just made to you in this thread. And Daenerys won her two battles in Slaver's Bay, due in no part to her tactics or strategy. She didn't ride in on the back of her dragon spewing fire and destruction either leading from the front. She's conquered a sesspool half a world away that she has almost immediately lost back right back to the Slavers . LETS ALL GIVE IT UP FOR THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS!!

If you want to make a propogandic statement about Dany's lack of badassedness, then be prepared to have someone call out Stannis when you're sporting a username like that. Also, the same thing could be said about Stannis at the wall, he conquered a sesspool, half a world away, and let's the Wildlings have what the wanted in the first place, to get into Westeros. LETS GIVE IT UP FOR THE IRON KING.

lol, not to just move someone else's story

Wut? So, your argument is based on the premise that stannis exists only to move jons story forward? lol, like i said, a good logical argument is better then these abstract statements that have no meaning at all.

Nice so now were just flat-out making shit up where as E-ro is quoting the text.

Well, let me summarize why I don't like Dany or her arc at all.

1. We know that 99% of what she's doing will have no importance whatsoever because we don't give a crap about Meereen. She needs SHIPS to go to WESTEROS and she needs a way to control dragons. Apparently, after countless boring chapters about ridiculous two dimensional "politics" half the world away, Vic gets her what she needs in... 2, 3 chapters? Arya's at least learning something.

2. She makes bad decision after bad decision and never gets punished. People complain about Tyrion's plot armor. At least he got his face disfigured, exiled etc. If it was Dany in his place, she would be fucking Oberyn over Cersei's dead body while winning the lottery.n

3. For some reason we're supposed to believe that just because Dany has three teenage dragons all slaves treat her as a goddess and she makes the rebellion for them. No slave rebellion before succeeded, but them she comes and boom: Queen of Meereen, destroys slaver's bay. Yay.

And besides all that, her personality is annoying. Badass? No. She acts like a spoiled child. It's not that she's a girl. It's not that she has teenage crushes and likes to fuck Daario. That's fine. This inverted trope has been done before. It's called Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She was badass. Dany is just annoying.

Nice so now were just flat-out making shit up where as E-ro is quoting the text.

So dragons and an unsullied army aren't something to be universally feared? Nice so now we're just flat out ignoring details.

If you want to make a propogandic statement about Dany's lack of badassedness, then be prepared to have someone call out Stannis when you're sporting a username like that. Also, the same thing could be said about Stannis at the wall, he conquered a sesspool, half a world away, and let's the Wildlings have what the wanted in the first place, to get into Westeros. LETS GIVE IT UP FOR THE IRON KING.

Propogandic? Aside from that not being a word, I don't know how on earth what I've said about Dany can be construed as propaganda. The wall is half a world away?? Seem to remember it being the ONLY thing that guards Westeros from the Others. Quite a bit more strategically important than fucking Meereen. Jesus do you hear what your saying? And if Stannis had not saved the Night's Watch at the wall, the Wildlings would have poured through in great numbers and left the realm completely open to an attack from the Others. It is a huge moment in the series.

Question.

Why is it always necessary to turn every single conversation into Stannis vs Dany, because I really do rather like both characters and reading this thread is just an exercise in masochism because I disagree with ALL OF THE CRITICISMS.

*throws a table*

ETA: at least it's a refreshing break from all of the vitriol some ignoramuses consistently pour on my Sansabby

Propogandic? Aside from that not being a word, I don't know how on earth what I've said about Dany can be construed as propaganda. The wall is half a world away?? Seem to remember it being the ONLY thing that guards Westeros from the Others. Quite a bit more strategically important than fucking Meereen. Jesus do you hear what your saying? And if Stannis had not saved the Night's Watch at the wall, the Wildlings would have poured through in great numbers and left the realm completely open to an attack from the Others. It is a huge moment in the series.

First, I apologize for the spelling, I didn't realize your attention to detail concerning grammar (though you don't seem to understand the difference between "were" and "we're"), either way, the word I was going for was propagandic, which is a word, feel free to look it up. It usually involves gross exaggerations of commonly held beliefs to stir hate for something. Typing blood and fire and I am Daenerys Stormborn all in caps falls under the umbrella of propaganda, sorry if you feel otherwise, I'd be happy to repost you're first comment which started all this, and explain in great detail why it's propaganda.

It is stated several times in the text, that the wall is half a world away, this is in the text, so I'm not sure why you would disagree. Also, how was Mance going to bring the wall down? Or do you really believe he had the horn and that it actually worked? We don't know what would have happened if Stannis never came, but he did. I don't know why you want to categorize this as a huge moment in the seriese, yet Dany smashing the slave trade, sacking Astapor, freeing the slaves of Yunkai, and conquering and ruling Mereen do not. The rammifcations of Dany's actions are felt from Asshai to Casterly Rock. Dany's actions are much larger, every bit as honorable, and in all honesty more badass than Stannis's.

Deal with it!

Question.

Why is it always necessary to turn every single conversation into Stannis vs Dany, because I really do rather like both characters and reading this thread is just an exercise in masochism because I disagree with ALL OF THE CRITICISMS.

*throws a table*

ETA: at least it's a refreshing break from all of the vitriol some ignoramuses consistently pour on my Sansabby

I like them both too, just defending Dany and hoping people recognize she is every bit as badass as Stannis. I am being rather trolly, I admit it, but I get annoyed at the whole "FIRE AND BLOOD I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN" comment people throw around a lot.

First, I apologize for the spelling, I didn't realize you're attention to detail concerning grammar (though you don't seem to understand the difference between "were" and "we're"), either way, the word I was going for was propagandic, which is a word, feel free to look it up. It usually involves gross exaggerations of commonly held beliefs to stir hate for something. Typing blood and fire and I am Daenerys Stormborn all in caps falls under the umbrella of propaganda, sorry if you feel otherwise, I'd be happy to repost you're first comment which started all this, and explain in great detail why it's propaganda.

It is stated several times in the text, that the wall is half a world away, this is in the text, so I'm not sure why you would disagree. Also, how was Mance going to bring the wall down? Or do you really believe he had the horn and that it actually worked? We don't know what would have happened if Stannis never came, but he did. I don't know why you want to categorize this as a huge moment in the seriese, yet Dany smashing the slave trade, sacking Astapor, freeing the slaves of Yunkai, and conquering and ruling Mereen do not. The rammifcations of Dany's actions are felt from Asshai to Casterly Rock. Dany's actions are much larger, every bit as honorable, and in all honesty more badass than Stannis.

Deal with it!

Neither Dany nor Stannis are more badass and I really hate when these two characters are used as some form of foil to each other where you can only like one and not the other.

What Stannis has done throughout his character arc is highly admirable and, while I really don't like creepy!Mel and the effect she has over Stannis, overall, he has shown tenacity, fairness, and the ability to make the right decision when it counts. Of course we can criticize him for thinking about burning his own nephew, but in the end, it didn't happen. Stannis is the only king to truly perceive the threat of the Others and the importance of the NW - not only does he recognize this, he goes on and takes action in response to this knowledge. I'm not sure about you, but I think willingly marching north to not only face wildlings, but also potential armies of ice zombies, takes quite a bit of courage and spirit. Remember, even though Stannis has yet to truly fight an Other, he does know they are there thanks to creepy!Mel.

I am obviously a huge proponent of Dany's campaign in Slaver's Bay and her mission to terminate the establishment of slavery. Has she been wildly successful? Not exactly - she has succeeded at times and failed at others - but she is also reasonably inexperienced so I have faith in her ability to learn and grow as a leader. She has also led her khalasar across the Red Waste, something no khal heretofore has ever done successfully. If we look at Dany's character arc, she goes from being a princess-in-exile sold as a slave to a Dothraki khal to the Dragon Queen of Slaver's Bay who is working to end a centuries old institution of oppression.

Both of these characters make mistakes and both of them have many admirable qualities - it really isn't necessary to praise one at the detriment of the other and vice versa.

First, I apologize for the spelling, I didn't realize you're attention to detail concerning grammar (though you don't seem to understand the difference between "were" and "we're"), either way, the word I was going for was propagandic, which is a word, feel free to look it up. It usually involves gross exaggerations of commonly held beliefs to stir hate for something. Typing blood and fire and I am Daenerys Stormborn all in caps falls under the umbrella of propaganda, sorry if you feel otherwise, I'd be happy to repost you're first comment which started all this, and explain in great detail why it's propaganda.

It is stated several times in the text, that the wall is half a world away, this is in the text, so I'm not sure why you would disagree. Also, how was Mance going to bring the wall down? Or do you really believe he had the horn and that it actually worked? We don't know what would have happened if Stannis never came, but he did. I don't know why you want to categorize this as a huge moment in the seriese, yet Dany smashing the slave trade, sacking Astapor, freeing the slaves of Yunkai, and conquering and ruling Mereen do not. The rammifcations of Dany's actions are felt from Asshai to Casterly Rock. Dany's actions are much larger, every bit as honorable, and in all honesty more badass than Stannis.

Deal with it!

Can't seem to find an entry for it except on urban dictionary. A bastion of academia! The FIRE AND BLOOD AND CAPS LOCK is a running joke I have on Daenerys that alot of the board are familiar with, not trying to be a Goebbels or anything I disagree with your assessment. Yes she smashed the slave trade and in turn completely destabilized the entire region. But how is that more significant than saving the realm from Wildling invasion? Mance did not have the horn, are you saying without it there's no way the Wildlings can cross the wall? They've been doing it for hundreds of years. By that logic we don't even need a Night's Watch just let the wall take care of things.

And how in the hell do you quantify how "badass" somethings is. I would love to see the Groat badassometer, can I buy it at Sharper Image??? Brookstone maybe??

Can't seem to find an entry for it except on urban dictionary. A bastion of academia! The FIRE AND BLOOD AND CAPS LOCK is a running joke I have on Daenerys that alot of the board are familiar with, not trying to be a Goebbels or anything I disagree with your assessment. Yes she smashed the slave trade and in turn completely destabilized the entire region. But how is that more significant than saving the realm from Wildling invasion? Mance did not have the horn, are you saying without it there's no way the Wildlings can cross the wall? They've been doing it for hundreds of years. By that logic we don't even need a Night's Watch just let the wall take care of things.

Well I assume the fire and blood in all caps is a joke, hence me calling Stannis butthurt in my response, I would hope you could see the context of me joking as well. I would say it's impossible at this point to determine which had more significance, Dany and her slavers adventure or Stannis on the wall. Each are HUGE events in the story, and really help develope both Jon and Dany's arcs, 2 of the most main characters of the story. Stannis is obviously a strong, determined man, and his actions are very important, this is what I believe, but if you want to over simplify or demean what Dany has done, I can do the same thing to Stannis.

If Stannis never shows up, Jon Snow probably dies, possibly killing Mance, and outside of that we don't know what will happen.

And how in the hell do you quantify how "badass" somethings is. I would love to see the Groat badassometer, can I buy it at Sharper Image??? Brookstone maybe??

It's easy. Fire beats Iron so Dany wins ;)

ETA

@ Lala

I completely agree with everything you said. I'm being a troll now, I'll admit it.

Well I assume the fire and blood in all caps is a joke, hence me calling Stannis butthurt in my response, I would hope you could see the context of me joking as well. I would say it's impossible at this point to determine which had more significance, Dany and her slavers adventure or Stannis on the wall. Each are HUGE events in the story, and really help develope both Jon and Dany's arcs, 2 of the most main characters of the story. Stannis is obviously a strong, determined man, and his actions are very important, this is what I believe, but if you want to over simplify or demean what Dany has done, I can do the same thing to Stannis.

If Stannis never shows up, Jon Snow probably dies, possibly killing Mance, and outside of that we don't know what will happen.

ETA

@ Lala

I completely agree with everything you said. I'm being a troll now, I'll admit it.

hah fair enough, wow, that was one of the more epic arguments I've ever gotten into on the board. Who knows maybe we'll become best friends after this.

ETA

@ Lala

hah fair enough, wow, that was one of the more epic arguments I've ever gotten into on the board. Who knows maybe we'll become best friends after this.

Yes~ I win :commie:

We shall have peace - for the next 2 minutes until someone else starts the conversation all over again.

Doesn't whether or not the 5 year gap help or hurt Dany depend on where Martin plans on taking her story arch? She's either off to rule Westeros and teach everybody what they have been missing out on or is going to burn that mother to the ground, depending on what camp you are in. Nothing has really changed from where she is now, we just wouldn't have had to read about it.

FIRE AND BLOOD AND CAPS LOCK is probably the best running joke on this board.

Archived