Dany wouldn't be hated if GRRM had kept the 5-year gap

NOTHING says badass like chillin on your throne dreaming of Daario while your city goes to hell, SO BADASS. Or throwing a tempter tantrum whenever somebody doubts you, BUT I'M BLOOD OF THE DRAGON, FIRE AND BLOOD AND CAPS LOCK AND NOT INDOOR VOICES!!! So Badass.

LOL Did I struck a nerve?

Sorry, she is badass. ADWD made almost everyone look bad

NOTHING says badass like chillin on your throne dreaming of Daario while your city goes to hell, SO BADASS. Or throwing a tempter tantrum whenever somebody doubts you, BUT I'M BLOOD OF THE DRAGON, FIRE AND BLOOD AND CAPS LOCK AND NOT INDOOR VOICES!!! So Badass.

Yeah, the way to badassery is to alternate "but I'm only a innocent little girls who knows not the way of x" and "I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN TARGARYEN, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Shackles and Chains, Queen of Meereen, Princess of Dragonstone and Mother to Dragons. I am the blood of the Dragon, I will torture your children and burn you! BURN YOU! AHHHHHHHHHH"

LOL

Since Martin's big "surprise" is to make the pretty little heroine a mad cat woman, he's disappointed people already hate her, since they're supposed to hate her only after she mutates into crazy cat woman

Yeah, the way to badassery is to alternate "but I'm only a innocent little girls who knows not the way of x" and "I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN TARGARYEN, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Shackles and Chains, Queen of Meereen, Princess of Dragonstone and Mother to Dragons. I am the blood of the Dragon, I will torture your children and burn you! BURN YOU! AHHHHHHHHHH"

LOL

Since Martin's big "surprise" is to make the pretty little heroine a mad cat woman, he's disappointed people already hate her, since they're supposed to hate her only after she mutates into crazy cat woman

I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN. AND I HAVE MORE TITLES THAN GOOD DECISIONS!

Was that Dany or Stannis you're talking about? :drunk:

Seriously, though, I think the 5 year gap could have done wonders and I believe that GRRM still would have preferred to have the gap. Unfortunately, he just couldn't write a book without doing a ton of flashbacks and he gave up. I would have missed reading about some of the characters, but there were a few arcs in AFFC and ADWD that I could have done without.

I like that Dany has haters, actually. It demonstrates that she's a controversial and polarizing character, and that GRRM has done a great job.

I agree. Honestly if not for the fan wars, things would sooooooooooooo boring.

Yeah, nothing say badass like being butthurt and jelly of your cooler older brother, crying all the time because you killed your younger brother, and complaining and whining non stop about what's "yours by rights" to your onion knight. (I can do this all day too).

There is nothing to deal with. In your humble opinion, shes a badass, in mine, she isn't.

When peopple say as a fact Dany is an awful character, should die or whatever hateful thing, I get to say deal with it while sharing my opinion. Seems fair to me

Yeah, nothing say badass like being butthurt and jelly of your cooler older brother, crying all the time because you killed your younger brother, and complaining and whining non stop about what's "yours by rights" to your onion knight. (I can do this all day too).

No, this says badass.

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

And through the smoke another wedge of armored riders came, on barded horses. Floating above them were the largest banners yet, royal standards as big as sheets; a yellow one with long pointed tongues that showed a flaming heart, and another like a sheet of beaten gold, with a black stag prancing and rippling in the wind. Robert, jon thought for one mad moment, remembering poor owen, but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was “Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!”

And a name passed from the lips of each man to the next, written in small white puffs of breath. Stannis, they whispered, Stannis is here, Stannis is come, Stannis, Stannis, Stannis.

(i can do this all day too)

When peopple say as a fact Dany is an awful character, should die or whatever hateful thing, I get to say deal with it while sharing my opinion. Seems fair to me

Is saying deal with it instead of presenting a logical thought out argument really a good idea though?

This is the second "why does everyone hate Danny" post I've seen in the last couple if days and I have to disagree.

There is a lot of analyzing and second guessing on the forums. And Danny gets as much of it as anyone. But we need to be careful and not confuse dissent with derision. Dany has made a lot if bone head moves, which we analyze to death ere, but I've seen very few people who flat out dislike the character. She has less "in defense of" threads then some of the others but she also needs less. I think people just feel less of a new to defend her.

Also, if you step back from the forums, Danny is crazy popular among the mundanes (yep that's the word I'm going with). I mean, you can go buy a "mother of dragons" shirt in hot topic but can't find a "stanis is the true king" shirt anywhere.

So long story short: I think she is one of the most popular characters among people without a westeroes.org screen name. And I think grrm anticipated that.

Yeah, what I personally don't like is that huge Dany fandom among... broader audiences. Not her character itself.

The books have so much to offer besides "When will Dany finally fly to Westeros, destroy the others and take her throne???"

Did I say Stannis was a badass? But if you wanna go there he ends up killing that brother who betrayed him, ya know, actually doing something about his problem not demanding them WITH FIRE AND BLOOD. Oh man...he showed remorse, WHAT AN ASSHOLE. And again, Stannis actually does something about his problems when it comes to the throne rather than sitting around halfway across the world melancholic and angry about them. And ya know what, he is a badass, battle of the wall, king who cared, liberating the north, he's like the anti-thesis of Dany in that he actually is doing something.

No, this says badass.

(i can do this all day too)

Well I don't have my books, so no quotes for me, but Dracarys and the Fighting Pit outrank all of those in terms of badassery.

I like Dany, I don't want her to rule Westeros but I still like her. I do want her to come to Westeros rip shit with her dragons. The Meereen chapters were a little slow but I think it was all building up to a particular character development of which we reached at the end of ADWD. Now she is coming into herself and ready to commence ass kicking.

Archived