Dany wouldn't be hated if GRRM had kept the 5-year gap

hah fair enough, wow, that was one of the more epic arguments I've ever gotten into on the board. Who knows maybe we'll become best friends after this.

:cheers:

Yes~ I win :commie:

We shall have peace - for the next 2 minutes until someone else starts the conversation all over again.

Peace? What is this word you use, I know not of this "peace" you speak of.

:cheers:

Peace? What is this word you use, I know not of this "peace" you speak of.

*draws a 38th parallel*

Dany fans on one side, Stannis fans on the other. No firing over the borders. As a neutral party, I shall personally monitor the Joint Security Area.

I'd still hate her 5 year gap or no.

Runs into a fire, walks out with dragons and gets to blab the whole books about how better she is cuz she's got dragons. If she were to win, how boring would that be? She had dragons. Her winning is something people could predict from book one, so it would be so sad if such an unpredictable and long series finished on a result that was forecast from the very beginning,

I don't get the Dany, Dany or Stannis hate. I've always been a huge fan of dragons so it's just natural for me to like Dany. I also like strong women so it's just natural I like Dany, Osha, Asha etc.. In fact, there is not one character in all of the series I hate. I like the study of characters and some of the most fascinating are ones the most removed from myself. The most hated character would have to be Ramsay, I find him fascinating because I cant fully understand his sadistic, psychotic self. I quit rooting for characters in this story way back in AGot. I just enjoy the ride.

I don't get the Dany, Dany or Stannis hate. I've always been a huge fan of dragons so it's just natural for me to like Dany. I also like strong women so it's just natural I like Dany, Osha, Asha etc.. In fact, there is not one character in all of the series I hate. I like the study of characters and some of the most fascinating are ones the most removed from myself. The most hated character would have to be Ramsay, I find him fascinating because I cant fully understand his sadistic, psychotic self. I quit rooting for characters in this story way back in AGot. I just enjoy the ride.

Totally Agree.

I think we all get into trouble when we get frustrated when a character makes the wrong decision (or no decision), based on information we have accesss to, but they could not possible know.

I am almost certain that Dany has been stuck in the "knot" because GRRM needed to do 3 things: 1) Give her some intellectual/leadership training; 2) Set the table in Westeros (Fray various alliances , Establish John Snow as LC of the NW, Introduce late-arriving key players like Dorne); and of course 3)Allow the dragons to mature.

That being the case, I am actually a fan of the Mereenese plotlines. The grinding chaos and treachery Dany has endured in Mereen can only make her a more perceptive and decisive leader when she is called up to the majors, in the Westeros Game of Thrones

I am almost certain that Dany has been stuck in the "knot" because GRRM needed to do 3 things: 1) Give her some intellectual/leadership training; 2) Set the table in Westeros (Fray various alliances , Establish John Snow as LC of the NW, Introduce late-arriving key players like Dorne); and of course 3)Allow the dragons to mature.

That being the case, I am actually a fan of the Mereenese plotlines. The grinding chaos and treachery Dany has endured in Mereen can only make her a more perceptive and decisive leader when she is called up to the majors, in the Westeros Game of Thrones

I find the Mereen chapters a bit boring and tedious BUT I agree, I appreciate them as a look into her growth.

Indeed

Also it must be kinda hard to read chapters of a character you hate. I mean, people just skip them?

Not having the five years is not the problem. The problem is the plot requiring the five year gap in the first place.

Dany's stated purpose is to conquer the seven kingdoms - a plot that requires her to sit in once place and wait for such an extended period of time feels like stalling. GRRM could have written the dragons so they aged faster, and turned them into more effective weapons sooner. GRRM could have put a one gap after the FIRST book, and showed how the events of Game had changed the world - that would have aged the characters slightly, without being as dramatic as a five year gap. Hell, if he'd set that precedent, he could have put a one year gap at the start of EVERY book and moved time right along. GRRM could have had Dany moving around more, instead of sitting on one place. All of these would have felt productive. Instead, Dany stayed in one place, and mooned over pretty boys (as 15 year old girls are wont to do), and let her city fall apart around her, and NOT made any progress toward winning the Iron Throne.

GRRM got bogged down in the details and wrote himself into a corner. He has not, in my opinion, yet gotten himself out of that corner.

Indeed

Also it must be kinda hard to read chapters of a character you hate. I mean, people just skip them?

I know right?! So many positive things to like about Dany. I think she's doing pretty good considering her age and not growing up with her royal family where she would have been groomed for all of this. She basically has to learn as she goes. I think folks forget that.

LOL, this isn't the only reason people dislike Dany. Most of the people who have valid reasons why they dislike Dany, dislike her for more appropriate reasons.

:thumbsup:

I'm glad the five year gap didn't happen. I like that we got to see Dany in some hard places and how she has been dealing with her revolutionary conquests and rule. As a reader, it was important to see Dany's growth, some of it positive, a lot negative. I am thankful we saw her coming to face with difficult questions and how she tackles her own identity. I think her story is richer because we got to read it as it happened rather than a flashback of "well, a lot of that sucked and I sort of sucked but look at me now!"

I disagree with the idea that Meereen isn't important to the story for a lot of reasons. In any case, I think Dany's arc in Meereen will be very important going foward because it's shaped Dany into who and what she will be when she moves towards Westeros.

Another :thumbsup:

I find the removal of the five year gap to be favorable.

LOL Did I struck a nerve?

Sorry, she is badass. ADWD made almost everyone look bad

Jon says "sup."

Not having the five years is not the problem. The problem is the plot requiring the five year gap in the first place.

Dany's stated purpose is to conquer the seven kingdoms

I think that is her just regurgitating what others have told her that her purpose is. I think ADwD is about her questioning that and trying to figure out what she wants to do like people her age do. In reality I dont think she would come to westeros, a continent she has never seen. Her land is the east but for the purpose of this story I think she will come over. I reserve judgement on the "writing into a corner" till WoW comes out. Afterall, Martin might have had a clear plan all along but we will be able to tell if it seems contrived and too convenient.

I know right?! So many positive things to like about Dany. I think she's doing pretty good considering her age and not growing up with her royal family where she would have been groomed for all of this. She basically has to learn as she goes. I think folks forget that.

not me, but if you don't know what you're doing you don't do it. especially her! i mean c'mon she's all about "all people are equal bla bla bla" but the price of her learning to rule is been paid with the blood of the people she claims to be saving. so in the inmortal words of preston "bodie" broadus that's fucked up!

Doesn't whether or not the 5 year gap help or hurt Dany depend on where Martin plans on taking her story arch? She's either off to rule Westeros and teach everybody what they have been missing out on or is going to burn that mother to the ground, depending on what camp you are in. Nothing has really changed from where she is now, we just wouldn't have had to read about it.

FIRE AND BLOOD AND CAPS LOCK is probably the best running joke on this board.

Personally, I prefer "Fuyah and bluhd!", but to each their own, haha.

not me, but if you don't know what you're doing you don't do it. especially her! i mean c'mon she's all about "all people are equal bla bla bla" but the price of her learning to rule is been paid with the blood of the people she claims to be saving. so in the inmortal words of preston "bodie" broadus that's fucked up!

An unfortunate circumstance indeed but one I dont think she could have forseen. She tried to do the right thing, cant fault her for that. Some of those very people she saved, and of course the harpy sabotaged her. I believe she will find a balance even if finding it may mean to reign hell dragon fire down and submit those that oppose her free ways.

An unfortunate circumstance indeed but one I dont think she could have forseen. She tried to do the right thing, cant fault her for that. Some of those very people she saved, and of course the harpy sabotaged her. I believe she will find a balance even if finding it may mean to reign hell dragon fire down and submit those that oppose her free ways.

words are wind, and good intentions are probably farts or something, they aren't of much use at the end of the day especially when playing with people's lives can't feed people with good intentions, can't cure the sick with good intentions, can't bring back the dead with good intentions well maybe thoros can but dany can't.

on a side note if good intentions are farts, does that make the red priests' breath of life actually be rhllor's farts ?

Archived