Is Cersei losing her mind?

Mrs_Darcy

I think that's exactly what is happening. Her former successes weren't just lucky-shots, she really wasn't that outright crazy before. The interesting thing is what the Walk of Shame has done to her, if she's now less paranoid, less crazy and more focused as it seems during her dinner with Kevan, or if she going more crazy and is hiding it better. I sincerely hope its the first and she is getting her priorities straight, so much more fun to read a dangerous, vicious but stable, not-too-crazy 'clever' Cersei.

I think Cersei is a sociopath and always has been. She doesn't seem to feel anything for anyone other than her children and even her love for them seems abnormal in that rather than genuine unconditional parental regard she appears to see them as more extensions of herself than individuals with autonomy .

Sure she tells herself she could have loved Robert if he'd not still held a candle for Lyanna but she also tells herself Jamie is her one true love and then that if only she'd been allowed to marry Rhaegar all would have been perfect.

She's never had a shred of conscious from pulling baby Tyrions penis and pushing Mallera down the well to having innocent babes murdered and calling for Arya to loose her hand, directing the Hound to kill Mycah and demanding a wolf pelt to handing Felyse etc over to Qyburn she has absolutely no empathy for others. When she see's the Kettleback guy being tortured at Baelors Sept she thinks only of what he may reveal of her plans.

I think Cersei is a sociopath and always has been. She doesn't seem to feel anything for anyone other than her children and even her love for them seems abnormal in that rather than genuine unconditional parental regard she appears to see them as more extensions of herself than individuals with autonomy .

Sure she tells herself she could have loved Robert if he'd not still held a candle for Lyanna but she also tells herself Jamie is her one true love and then that if only she'd been allowed to marry Rhaegar all would have been perfect.

She's never had a shred of conscious from pulling baby Tyrions penis and pushing Mallera down the well to having innocent babes murdered and calling for Arya to loose her hand, directing the Hound to kill Mycah and demanding a wolf pelt to handing Felyse etc over to Qyburn she has absolutely no empathy for others. When she see's the Kettleback guy being tortured at Baelors Sept she thinks only of what he may reveal of her plans.

this! however it does seems as if her mental abilities are deteriorating and that her paranoia is increasing which is making things considerably worse.

She didn't had a mind to start with. Killing Lady was just as crazy as her acts in AFFC. It's just that she had Robert to sustain her. She will be just as mad after her walk of shame, but less inclined to show her real thoughts.

She didn't had a mind to start with.

that's not fair. cersei does have some good ideas but is too short sighted for any real success. still, she was able to rid herself of robert and place lannister loyal men throughout the royal court.

I'd suggest that the realisation her plans are slowly starting to unravel and she is not untouchable as she once seemed is causing her to doubt herself and therefore create more paranoia but not necessarily insanity.

She does have a rather clever mind in the start of the series and seeks out the best means to aid herself and seemingly her children but with Joffrey dead and Myrcella in Dorne this is somewhat negated. Maybe even the death of her father has hinted at her own mortality which causes her to see the world in a different, more sceptical light.

As to losing her mind, she came close when imprisoned in the sept but now that she is free she is back to her usual scheming ways, if not hindered by doubts and will surely impact events as the plot unfolds.

Cersei is one of my favourite characters, I don't think it is her fault she is like this, being the daughter of a cruel father and being forced into a marriage with robert for 14 years, I mean look at how Lysa turned out due to her arranged marriage.

Also Cersei when young was like a little Arya, as she said she always wanted to do what Jaime did and in the TV show Tywin says Arya is like Cersei when she was little,

Imagine Arya being forced into a marriage for 14 years.

Here's the Cersei dilema.

No matter how intelligent she is or she isn't, she is convinced everyone else is an order of magnitude stupider than her. And when you keep assuming other people are a bunch of predictable morons whose only skill is telling lies, then you are going to get burned badly.

Even looking at her so called "early successes," its hard to figure out what she actually accomplished versus what Tywin and the Lannister name got her. That, and just plain luck. I mean, her biggest triumph was getting Robert killed (which may or may not have been an incredible stroke of luck) and Eddard captured and neutralized (which frankly had Littlefinger sided with Eddard and gotten the gold cloacks to back him, she wouldn't have managed). After these two events, her position in King's Landing rapidly deteriorates. She "lost" her hostage Ned assurring the North goes to war, she didn't see Renly's relationship with the Tyrells as a future problem which exploded into a much larger army opposed to Joffrey as king, and then she gave a butcher's son (Slynt) into one of the wealthiest holdings in Westeros and dismissed one of the most honorable men (Selmy) in Westeros to give his position to her brother.

The only reason she survived a Clash of Kings was Tywin, Tyrion, Varys, and Littlefinger all making sure she stayed in power despite her and Joffrey's best efforts to throw it all away. These former allies are rapidly abandoning her.

Is she insane? Well, she isn't hearing voices.

in the TV show Tywin says Arya is like Cersei when she was little,

Arya and Cersei are definitely different persons. Cersei has incest, lie, whoring, child murder, try to killing king, almost every crime a queen can make.

I can't see Arya going to do this crimes except killing, even with unwillingly wedding.

Arya and Cersei are definitely different persons. Cersei has incest, lie, whoring, child murder, try to killing king, almost every crime a queen can make.

I can't see Arya going to do this crimes except killing...

They are different persons in present, but when cersei was young she was similar to Arya, as in she didn't want to be a girl. Haven't you noticed her comments of how she wishes she was a boy, and when she told Robert "I should be wearing the armour and you the gown."

She was always jealous of what Jamie got to do, just like how Arya was jealous of Bran.

Obviously they are different, but I am sure when Cersei was young she had some similar traits like Arya.

The difference is that Ned wasnt as strict on Arya as Tywin must of been on Cersei.

Archived