What was your favorite and least favorite book in the series?

nillingar

A Clash of Kings would still be my favourite. The Battle of Blackwater, Tyrion as Hand, Jon with Qhorin and the wildling hunt, Arya's journey and Weasel soup, House of the Undying, hearing tales of Robb and his victories, Theon's downfall... it may not be as "action-packed" as ASoS, but there's so much engrossing character development and story-arcs. A Storm of Swords is not far behind at all though, I love that book just as much.

Least favourite... has to be A Feast for Crows. There are some great chapters in there, but unfortunately it feels like a bloated book that doesn't exactly get anywhere in terms of story. While I didn't mind Brienne's arc, it's slightly frustrating to read because we know where Sansa is so it ultimately feels pointless. I don't like Cersei's chapters; without the likes of Tyrion, Varys and LF the council meetings and such are just so slow and uninteresting. Personally, I could have done without ever seeing a Cersei POV. Sam on a boat was boring, as were most of the Iron Islands chapters (ugh, Damphair) and as much as I hate to say it, Dorne as well.

I can handle ADwD despite Dany's dragging story; Jon's chapters were fantastic, as were Mel's, Jaime's, Arya's, Davos', and most of Tyrion's.

Best: ASOS

Worst: AFFC

I read it a second time and because I knew what to expect, my flaming hate for this book was eased up ever so slightly but this was a monumental waste-of-time book that I probably ever read in my life and I read a lot. This novel is so meandering, so full of inconsequential, masturbatory prose that midway through the novel...I couldn't help but think that GRRM was so full of himself and the world that he created that he lost his way or discipline without realizing it (or perhaps caring) until it was already done.

This is not uncommon for authors who realize they created the golden goose. A lot of authors extend their series beyond the initial two or three novels because they don't want THAT world to be closed and having the burden of starting over again and hoping to find a world or a set of characters just as fun to explore.

I think the HBO series becoming a success is the best thing that could have ever happened to GRRM and us the readers. GRRM now is going to make TWOW so epic like ASOS because he knows he has no real choice on when he is going to really finish the series. He is now going to cut all the bullcrap and get down to the truly important events and character developments and arcs. Hence him constantly warning us that TWOW is going to kill a lot of characters including POV's. THe beast has finally been reigned in.

We are all going to declare again that GRRM is the greatest fantasy writer ever and yet even more heaps of awards, prestige, money and fame will come GRRM's way and rightfully so . Mark my words. TWOW will be the epic novel that we should have gotten after the awesome ASOS ...

Archived