Why women are more hated?

Alayne's Shadow.

Dany stands alone with hate threads? What forum are you talking about? Because in this, Dany gets reasonable ammount of hate, unlike Sansa or Catelyn, who are attacked on daily basis. Every day I find a new thread about how Sansa killed Ned, or Cat started Wo5K... Threads about Dany copared to those are almost reasonable

This suggests it's not about sex, it has more to do with both Sansa and Cat being a bit dull.

People tend to confuse legitimate criticism with "hate." Stating Dany is a poor ruler and then backing it up with quotes in the text is not "hating" a character, it's just a different interpretation. Stating that Cat made a mistake releasing Jaime is not "hate". There are particular criticisms that can be leveled at Cat, Dany and Sansa that have nothing to do with what sort of heat they are packing downstairs. We have yet to see a perfect character in ASOIAF, and hopefully it will stay that way.

What I understand with the hate towards Dany it really seems biased against that character, so they judge every action she does worse than it actually was written.

She made mistakes, but she's not a sadistic bitch Joffrey with skirts 2.0

No one is saying she's a sadistic bitch. I don't think she's sadistic at all. I think she's an idiot teenager with a god complex and no check on her authority who's in over her head and too arrogant or ignorant to realize it, and she's gotten a lot of innocent people killed. Sometimes the worst acts are committed by people who think they're doing the right thing.

You also have to take into account that boring characters tend to get more hate because these are not real people and the main use of the book is entertainment. So if a character fails to entertain you, it will probably be less loved.

That's why people like Jaime. He offers great insight, it's pleasing to be inside his head. Now all Dany does is say a hundred titles and think about how she's blood of the dragon half a world away.

That's also why Damphair is hated. Or Quentyn.

Particularly, that's why I don't like Victarion as a POV, but at least stuff happens around him if not in his head.

No one is saying she's a sadistic bitch. I don't think she's sadistic at all. I think she's an idiot teenager with a god complex and no check on her authority who's in over her head and too arrogant or ignorant to realize it, and she's gotten a lot of innocent people killed. Sometimes the worst acts are committed by people who think they're doing the right thing.

A lot of actions from A LOT of characters in this story got a lot of innocent people killed. But with Dany is worst, I see.

No, I will not list them. You obviously know them and dont agree so what's the point?

Then why mention that you should list them? The fault I have with Stannis is his use of 'dark magic'. His affair with Melisandre is not particularly great either, but I am not sure about how Selyse feels about it. Rpbert rightfully gets criticism for being a bad king and I criticise Renly too.

This suggests it's not about sex, it has more to do with both Sansa and Cat being a bit dull.

Oh, God, this is even worse argument... You hate a character because it's boring? Oh, dear, that is one serious problem with reading. I have the worse time reading Dance with dragons, especially sizable amount of Tyrion's chapters, and I don't hate him, entire Brienne's journey, IMO was dull, but I don't hate her. If you hate a character, have a reason, this is just pathetic.

But why is Stannis so amazing when he has basically been a nomad since COKs.

Burning your men alive so they don't eat each other isn't all that great of ruling to me.

Is it ever going to be possible for someone to acknowledge and/or answer the criticism of Dany without deflecting it off onto Stannis? Stannis burning people is awful, I agree. But it doesn't excuse what Dany's doing.

A lot of actions from A LOT of characters in this story got a lot of innocent people killed. But with Dany is worst, I see.

Talk to viewers of the show and see how many of them hate Dany. In the show I like Dany and many people I have spoken have her or Jon Snow as their favourite character. In fact out of show viewers, it's almost universal that they have Tyrion, Jon or Dany as their favourite character, but Dany is the most popular. Now why do you think the opinion of book readers are different from show viewers?

Also it still plays in both sides. As the witch said, dany knew deep inside that her baby was the sacrifice in drogos spell.... but she is no baby killer because of his woman nature and because she is doing this for love, people are not to harsh on then.

When stannis doubts about burning a kid, to cast a spell for the sake of the kingdom he becames a cold baby mourderer...

Sexism sadly is still around, but it plays both sides.

Is it ever going to be possible for someone to acknowledge and/or answer the criticism of Dany without deflecting it off onto Stannis? Stannis burning people is awful, I agree. But it doesn't excuse what Dany's doing.

I'm not looking for excuses, I'm discussing how good of a ruler she is. How can one debate if she is a good ruler without bringing up other rulers?

If I said Michael Jordan was a crappy basketball player, how could you debate that without bringing up other basketball players?

I cannot think of a single other person who has caused the damage she has on that scale, single-handedly. We're talking potentially hundreds of thousands of people. An entire city, in Astapor's case, wiped out. And the people in Westeros who do what she does — crucifixion and torture, for instance — are the villains. Or, at the very least, they've paid some sort of price, even the ultimate price, for their mistakes. Robb's actions caused the deaths of a lot of people. He's also dead.

But why is Stannis so amazing when he has basically been a nomad since COKs.

Burning your men alive so they don't eat each other isn't all that great of ruling to me.

Dany doesn't seem incompetent to me in comparison with this

I'm not a Stannis fan. Stannis fans are very vocal, but my impression is that they're far from being a majority.

But there's one single reason people are more favorable towards him. He went north and is preparing to fight the Others. While Dany is waging war for... Meereen. Who cares about Meereen? Not me. Not you. Only Daenerys Targaryen.

Before Stannis went north people didn't give a crap about him and he was actually closer to the villain people say is being portrayed in the tv show.

I'm not looking for excuses, I'm discussing how good of a ruler she is. How can one debate if she is a good ruler without bringing up other rulers?

If just about everything you touch turns to shit, you're not a good ruler, independent of how other people are doing it. Good rule of thumb.

There are legitimate criticisms for all three of the characters the OP mentioned. For example, I like Dany, but she has done some bad things, granted with good intentions. I still think she's a great character, but I'll be the first to admit that she needs to turn it around soon. Sansa in GoT was a huge bitch to Arya and was mind-numbingly naive. I couldn't stand her in the first book, but she has grown on me. I'll admit, I will probably never like Cat. She was extremely cold towards Jon and made some stupid decisions that ultimately sped up the demise of her and Robb's cause, i.e. freeing Jaime Lannister.

Now, to answer the original question. I don't think females get more hate. Ned and Robert get plenty of hate. I for one just don't like Robb. Is there some sexism? Probably. But there will always be those assholes. I feel the majority of fans try to be as fair as possible when it comes to judging the characters.

Talk to viewers of the show and see how many of them hate Dany. In the show I like Dany and many people I have spoken have her or Jon Snow as their favourite character. In fact out of show viewers, it's almost universal that they have Tyrion, Jon or Dany as their favourite character, but Dany is the most popular. Now why do you think the opinion of book readers are different from show viewers?

Because we are talking about two separate universes. Books simply aren't TV show. Furthermore, TV producers tend to put each female character into a tiny cliche box - mother, female warrior, princess, whore Queen, manipulative woman... Books don't do that... And Xena-type of Daenerys in the show is bound to have more love than Dany from ASOIAF.

Archived